Lost Sleep

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Pretty wild weather last night.
Was over east getting some field work done and started watching this storm start working it's way towards us. That hits us at about 7:30pm.
Watched the 10:00 local news and could hear thunder in the news room. Next storm hit at around 10:30pm and could still hear thunder until about midnight.
Forgot to mention my daughter is terrified of thunder and lighting. She was clinging to me the whole time.
Finally got to bed after midnight.
3:30am got woke up with a loud crash. Storm number 3 is moving through. Daughter has now joined us in bed. No idea how long it went on for, but finally passed. Daughter is asleep.
Husband woke me up at 7am. No idea how much sleep I got. Hope he will let me sleep in tomorrow.

Lammie got .56" out of all 3 storms.
Hubby let me sleep in this morning. I sure feel more rested.

Now to help the daughter to get over her fear of thunderstorms. Storms even scared my son. He came out of his room and sat with us.

I luv herfrds":1tjfku20 said:

Now to help the daughter to get over her fear of thunderstorms. Storms even scared my son. He came out of his room and sat with us.

I was really lucky in that neither of my sons was afraid of storms. They generally sleep through them. I was always afraid of them when I was a kid. Mostly I was freaked out at the idea of a tornado. I think that storms are pretty cool now and I tried to make my kids appreciate rather than fear them. Have you tried counting between the lightening and the thunder so that they will know whether the storm is getting closer or further away? My dad took me out once and told me about the directions that storms generally move around here and that helped me a lot in overcoming my fears. I bet you all get some cool storms out there. I bet you can see them come in from miles and miles. Too many trees where I am now. I still do have nightmares about tornadoes, though.

Lammie":ek4kr55y said:
I luv herfrds":ek4kr55y said:

I was really lucky in that neither of my sons was afraid of storms. They generally sleep through them. I was always afraid of them when I was a kid. Mostly I was freaked out at the idea of a tornado. I think that storms are pretty cool now and I tried to make my kids appreciate rather than fear them. Have you tried counting between the lightening and the thunder so that they will know whether the storm is getting closer or further away? My dad took me out once and told me about the directions that storms generally move around here and that helped me a lot in overcoming my fears. I bet you all get some cool storms out there. I bet you can see them come in from miles and miles. Too many trees where I am now. I still do have nightmares about tornadoes, though.

My Dad would calmly eat dinner no matter how bad the storm was. He advised me of the tornado drill but it never came to that. My Mother was a different story though. A couple of years after I got married I sat down to dinner during a storm with tornado warnings. The neighbor called all frantic, (we lived in match stick houses). Her husband wasn't home and she got my wife all riled up. I really just wanted to eat my dinner. But noooo. I drive the neighbor wife and her kid along with my wife and kid to HEB in a hail storm. By the time we get there the worst is over with and I drive everyone back home. That will be the last time a storm makes me miss a hot dinner. My Dad had it right. No use getting all riled up and scared.

Walt

heres hoping your daughter will grow out of her fear of storms.i know its hard when your dealing with some1 thats scared of storms.

bigbull338":2q975luk said:
heres hoping your daughter will grow out of her fear of storms.i know its hard when your dealing with some1 thats scared of storms.

My wife and one dog are terrified in thunder storms. Does get tedious dealing with it. At least the dog just goes and curls up behind the toilet.

My little Jack Russell dog also hides under/behind the toilet. I guess they feel secure there. Tom :cboy:

my cow dog hates thunder an gun shots an fire works as well.an if you open the door an either of the 3 is happening she will run under you.she usually heads right for the couch.an lays down right up against it.or runs an hides in the corner of the livingroom.

bigbull338":1nyyb3ym said:
my cow dog hates thunder an gun shots an fire works as well.an if you open the door an either of the 3 is happening she will run under you.she usually heads right for the couch.an lays down right up against it.or runs an hides in the corner of the livingroom.

My dog Lexi hates storms, too. And fireworks and gunfire. She's a big chicken. I think she does it for attention. I swear, weiner dogs will get attention for anything.

Lammie":3efbd8p4 said:
I swear, weiner dogs will get attention for anything.

Our WD could care less. Doesn;t understand why the other dog gets so shookup. He just goes back to sleep and ignores the noise.

Thunder does't bother mine but my Labrador, the one that doesn't pass a waterhole without splashing thru it, won't go outside while it is raining.

Yeah Lammie it is pretty neat watching these storms brew up. Going to have to find out if Oldtimer got hit by one today. There was 2 different storms that brewed up. One was north of us and the second to the south. They converged to the east. Pretty nasty looking.

I think what really got her scared of the storms was a couple of years ago. Had a really nasty storm come rolling through. The lighting was so close there was no time to count to even "1" between the flashes and the thunder. You could hear this strange crackling noise just before the bolt would hit. Had both kids on my lap and the dog trying to join them. The cats were under the beds. Husband sat there and made fun of us. Kept telling us it was not so bad. Wanted to thump him though because he was not helping the matter.
Took me quite a few years to get over my fear of thunderstorms when I was a kid. Unfortunately thanks to a certain incident I now have back a fear of lighting. So it is hard for me to be calm during close lighting strikes. If they are a long distance away I can stand it.

HD the cattle looked fine. Nobody got hit thank goodness.

Had this old lab/shepherd cross dog when I was a kid. He got struck by lightning twice. And no, his name wasn't "Lucky".

Latest posts