Lost Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
I cannot find my refridgerator pickle recipe anywhere. :cry2: :cry2:
I googled it and got so many hits.
I remember it was similar to my Bread and Butter pickles, but also different.
It had vinegar, sugar, tumeric, celery seed, mustard seed, cucumbers and onions. Only kind my family liked. Does anybody have a similar recipe???? :help: :help:

I luv herfrds":d3i4pch1 said:
I cannot find my refridgerator pickle recipe anywhere. :cry2: :cry2:
I googled it and got so many hits.
I remember it was similar to my Bread and Butter pickles, but also different.
It had vinegar, sugar, tumeric, celery seed, mustard seed, cucumbers and onions. Only kind my family liked. Does anybody have a similar recipe???? :help: :help:
My mother in law makes some pickles she calls Fire and Ice pickles that are great. I can't help you with the reciepe you're looking for but I can get you the one for her pickles if you'd be interested in something else.

Refrigerator pickles

4 cups sugar
4 cups vinegar
1/2 cup salt
1 1/3 tsp turmeric
1 1/3 tsp celery seed
1 1/3 tsp mustard seed
3 onions, sliced thin
cucumbers, sliced thin

DO NOT HEAT, this is cold syrup. Mix all ingredients except onion and cucumbers. Sterilize 3 1 lb peanut butter jars. Slice one onion into each jar. Slice cucumbers to fill jars. Stir syrup well and pour over. Refrigerate at least 5 days before using.

Courtesy of the "old faithful" Kitchen Klatter cookbook. 1 lb peanut butter jars??? Shows how old the recipe is. I did make these one year when we had a bunch of cucumbers and they were very good.

The wife can't find her's so she has to get it from her mother again. I'll post it as soon as she remembers to get it. :roll:

That was it MO. :D :D Boy are those good pickles.
Can hardly wait til tomorrow night. Going to an After Harvest Party that a local cafe throws every year. Took those pickles last year and they disappeared. Going to take the "Big" jar this year.
Going to also take a peach cobbler. The folks there just love it.

I just lost 10 pounds of fermented pickles, they all turned white and the smell changed, so I'm throwing them out. Before you ask I followed the recipe exactly, scalded the crock before use, kept covered and skimmed it every day.
No idea what happened.
Got another 10 pounds of pickles curing in a different crock. Going to make Sour pickles. They are doing fine. Just gotta float an egg in the brine to make sure it is strong enough.

Glad to hear it was the one. I had hoped so because the ingredients you remembered matched up exactly. If you ever run across a Kitchen Klatter cookbook, I recommend buying it. Some great older recipes in it.

I luv herfrds":1o6zme59 said:
That was it MO. :D :D Boy are those good pickles.
Can hardly wait til tomorrow night. Going to an After Harvest Party that a local cafe throws every year. Took those pickles last year and they disappeared. Going to take the "Big" jar this year.
Going to also take a peach cobbler. The folks there just love it.

I just lost 10 pounds of fermented pickles, they all turned white and the smell changed, so I'm throwing them out. Before you ask I followed the recipe exactly, scalded the crock before use, kept covered and skimmed it every day.
No idea what happened.
Got another 10 pounds of pickles curing in a different crock. Going to make Sour pickles. They are doing fine. Just gotta float an egg in the brine to make sure it is strong enough.

Where is this party ILH you are only about 5-6 hour drive away .. :lol2:
Sounds like a great time, enjoy.. :tiphat:

It is in Loma, MT.
The cafe owner goes fishing up in Alaska and brings back salmon and halibut. YUM!
Last year he didn't make it to Alaska so they had a whole pig roasted.
Everyone around shows up with a salad, side dish and dessert.

Been pretty busy canning and pickling so I didn't get the peach cobbler done. I did the cake instead.
Going to be a fun night. :D

Thanks now you tell me so there is no way in heck I can make it there in time.. :roll:
I hope you eat a boat load of salmon and halibut for me ,my fave, especially if they are wild.. :nod:

Have a great time ILH and congrats on your harvesting.. :tiphat:

Was a really fun night. You'll have to go read my post in Coffee Shop on what happened concerning my cake. :lol2:
As for the pickles from that 1 gallon jar I took, I only had a quart left over. :shock: Sure glad I took the big one.

They had a bunch of salmon, halibut and some lamb there too. They had marinated the salmon and were grilling it outside. The halibut was coated in a great bread crumb and baked. There was also halibut coated with a mustard sauce and topped with a slice of onion and tomato, wrapped up in tin foil and grilled. I took a small piece of each. Yum!
There were just too many side dishes and desserts to even try listing.

I think every small town should do that. A great time to get together, visit and eat.

Fire & Ice Pickles
2 32oz jars of name brand sliced dill pickles
4 cups of sugar
2 Tablespoons of red hot sauce
1/2 Teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 Fresh garlic cloves

Drain the pickles and put into a large bowl. Throw away the liquid. Add sugar, hot sauce & pepper flakes.
Stir and let stand 2 hours giving an occasional stir. Put the pickles back in the jars with 1 clove of garlic in each jar. You can eat them immediately but they are best if you put them in the back of the fridge and wait a couple of weeks. I hope you like them as much as I do. :nod:

Latest posts