lost premature calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the replies and Alice thanks for showing compassion. I was unaffected by Caustic's comment as I knew where he was coming from. I stopped looking for a calf the same morning that I found the cow in the condition she was in, expecting the worst. But....in the back of my mind I hoped the dates were wrong and she had a baby calf hidden in the brush. No such luck! Regarding mentoring, my friend is being very, very helpful, but I do not want to overload him with my learning curve. He has his own place and herd to take care of. So I am reading books, mags, reading everything here and asking a lot of questions. Thanks to all.
BTW, the cow supposedly had all her shots already when I was at the vet 2 months ago, but I was not 100% sure. I asked the vet if there was an issue to give them again to be SURE all the required shots were in place. She felt there was absolutely no issue, so the cows got the shots.

I am embarrased to say, I do not know and I never wrote it down, but I will call tomorrow and find out. I think there were 4 shots and one was a de-wormer Two other cows enjoyed the same shots that day.

Mister Caustic Burno said it right. sorry fur yar luck ifen a dog aint ate it the dang buzzards will ah picked it clean by now. Id be interested as to what kind of shots ya gave her?

3MR":3pfc5vqv said:
msscamp":3pfc5vqv said:
Alice":3pfc5vqv said:
I read all the time about how helpful you really are...but, ya knowwhat, Caustic? That was unnecessary, and quite frankly, just plain tacky and purely smarta$$. I used to go ahead and read what you had to say and glean what I could from it...but not anymore. From now on, I'm gonna just have to skip over anything with your questionable name attached, and do without your little pearls of wisdom. I may miss something helpful in the process, but OH WELL!

Alice

Regardless of the size of the calf, what Caustic posted is exactly what happened to it - be it the neighbors dog, coyotes, or some other scavenger. Life is not pretty. Get over it and deal with it Alice!

Theres nice ways to say things and not so nice ways. Just because nature isnt always nice doesnt mean we cant try to be.

I prefer a more direct method as it really pisses me off to have to waste time figuring out what exactly is being said. Apparently that is just me. If you want to hide behind your rose-colored glasses - so be it - whatever floats your boat.

msscamp":1nw5lcbv said:
3MR":1nw5lcbv said:
msscamp":1nw5lcbv said:
Alice":1nw5lcbv said:
I read all the time about how helpful you really are...but, ya knowwhat, Caustic? That was unnecessary, and quite frankly, just plain tacky and purely smarta$$. I used to go ahead and read what you had to say and glean what I could from it...but not anymore. From now on, I'm gonna just have to skip over anything with your questionable name attached, and do without your little pearls of wisdom. I may miss something helpful in the process, but OH WELL!

Alice

Regardless of the size of the calf, what Caustic posted is exactly what happened to it - be it the neighbors dog, coyotes, or some other scavenger. Life is not pretty. Get over it and deal with it Alice!

Theres nice ways to say things and not so nice ways. Just because nature isnt always nice doesnt mean we cant try to be.

I prefer a more direct method as it really be nice me off to have to waste time figuring out what exactly is being said. Apparently that is just me. If you want to hide behind your rose-colored glasses - so be it - whatever floats your boat.

Come one MSscamp, saying a scavenger may have, or probably, drug it off, is just as direct and alot nicer than saying it made a tasty treat.

Call it "Rose colored glasses" or whatever, that would just mean my world is a lot nicer place than yours. Somehow I doubt it, but that doesnt stop me from trying. From some of your post I expect your world is rather rosy as well.

CB is what he is, I doubt he cares, needs or wants everybody defending or trying to emulate him.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Somebody at work told me I need to add smiley faces or people take what I write wrong.

msscamp":2ak1qxgs said:
3MR":2ak1qxgs said:
msscamp":2ak1qxgs said:
Alice":2ak1qxgs said:

Alice

I prefer a more direct method as it really be nice me off to have to waste time figuring out what exactly is being said. Apparently that is just me..

I could not agree more! It is tempting to add a fourth to that list of "types of cattlemen." ;-)
Lets see we have...
Rancher type
hobbyist type
Welfare type
and____type

CB

How do you know it is a dog?

I saw some of our barn cats chewing on a dead something in the furthest field from the house yesterday.

Cormac

Time for you to do your own vacc's. There are a lot of protocols - but your local vet will know the one that fits your area the best.

We tend to double vacc with a live vaccine and double up on 8 way. There arre certain necessities to follow with this procedure, and if required I can go through it with you.

We usually do some type of pour on in the fall and sometimes in the spring for various parasites as well.

First thing first.

Ask your local animal doc what s/he recommends for your area and then let's go from there. It is easy to do and quite cost effective. Trust me when I say once you start you will see the value in this.

If you need more, get hold of me by pm - I tend to miss requests that are posted on the threads due to my rather irregular monitoring technique.

Regards,

Bez?

Latest posts