lost premature calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
Showed up and a 3 year old Black Angus had 18" brownish colored, afterbirth/umbilical hanging out. This was 2-3 months early. I searched high and low for any sign of a premature calf, but was probably in the thickest part of the woods. I had a long-timer cattle man and friend, check it out and he felt she lost the calf and noted that she had no bag. This was a week ago and unfortunately no pleasant surprise since. I keep racking my head to figure out what happened. I can add that about 2 months ago she had a 8 inch long Jelly-like discharge hanging out, so I took her to the vet with another cow that had a vertically cracked hoof/toe. The vet felt it was not a big deal. I had her palpate the cow and she felt she was still a long way off, like 5-6 months. Two months later she throws it early. Today I threw out some cubes and noticed she was breathing/ or weazing slightly. I have noticed her doing this before and always figured it was allergies, the summer heat or something else. Could her weazing at times be related to the loss of the calf. Or am I just getting some lousy luck out of the way early in my "cattle life". BTW, this lost calf would have been my second calf as number one is due in about 30 days. I mention this because I have no experience cows giving birth. Thanks

Based on the information in your post it sounds like she aborted. There are a multitude of things that can cause abortions - everything from vibrio to certain mlv's given at the wrong time. Without the fetus the reason will probably never be known. What kind of a health program are your cows on?

I read all the time about how helpful you really are...but, ya knowwhat, Caustic? That was unnecessary, and quite frankly, just plain tacky and purely smarta$$. I used to go ahead and read what you had to say and glean what I could from it...but not anymore. From now on, I'm gonna just have to skip over anything with your questionable name attached, and do without your little pearls of wisdom. I may miss something helpful in the process, but OH WELL!

Alice

Alice":2mxnohi1 said:
I read all the time about how helpful you really are...but, ya knowwhat, Caustic? That was unnecessary, and quite frankly, just plain tacky and purely smarta$$. I used to go ahead and read what you had to say and glean what I could from it...but not anymore. From now on, I'm gonna just have to skip over anything with your questionable name attached, and do without your little pearls of wisdom. I may miss something helpful in the process, but OH WELL!

Alice

Regardless of the size of the calf, what Caustic posted is exactly what happened to it - be it the neighbors dog, coyotes, or some other scavenger. Life is not pretty. Get over it and deal with it Alice!

Alice":34gr8h4d said:

Alice

You know Alice I really don't give a rat's what you think.

Alice":3fq41aol said:

Alice

The upside here Caustic is she at least thought you were a SMARTa$$ better than just being an A$$ :D

msscamp":3ldvjs46 said:
Alice":3ldvjs46 said:

Alice

Regardless of the size of the calf, what Caustic posted is exactly what happened to it - be it the neighbors dog, coyotes, or some other scavenger. Life is not pretty. Get over it and deal with it Alice!

Theres nice ways to say things and not so nice ways. Just because nature isnt always nice doesnt mean we cant try to be. :) happy 4th everybody. You never really appreciate the 4th of July until you celebrate it in a foreign country. :cboy:

Life may not be pretty...nature may not be always be sunshine and roses, but what in the he!! did the neighbor's dog eating the calf and enjoying it as a "treat" have to do with the original post?

Not pretty? I watched as my brother drug a dead a bloated calf off...the calf hit a sharp rock and the whole thing blew up. Nope it wasn't pretty...nope it wasn't pleasant, but I dealt with it. Information is one thing...crudity directed at another's misfortune is another.

My 2 cents.

Alice

3MR":32nwradd said:
msscamp":32nwradd said:
Alice":32nwradd said:

Alice

Theres nice ways to say things and not so nice ways. Just because nature isnt always nice doesnt mean we cant try to be. :) happy 4th everybody. You never really appreciate the 4th of July until you celebrate it in a foreign country. :cboy:

I'm sure that's true, 3MR. I'm glad you're home to celebrate it with your family. Happy 4th of July.

Alice

Ah man! It ran thru my mind that you might still be in Iraq, but hoped that wasn't the case. Sorry I jumped the wrong direction. Take care...thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

Alice

No, Im in Korea right now. Way better than Iraq. Way Way Way better. 8)

Been there, done it, they can keep the t-shirt

3MR":2stsivfy said:

Well, I'm battin' a thousand here :oops: ...wherever you may be, thanks for what you do. :)

Alice

Alice":9ofvsahw said:
3MR":9ofvsahw said:

Well, I'm battin' a thousand here :oops: ...wherever you may be, thanks for what you do. :)

Alice

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Alice":2js90bru said:
Life may not be pretty...nature may not be always be sunshine and roses, but what in the he!! did the neighbor's dog eating the calf and enjoying it as a "treat" have to do with the original post?

Not pretty? I watched as my brother drug a dead a bloated calf off...the calf hit a sharp rock and the whole thing blew up. Nope it wasn't pretty...nope it wasn't pleasant, but I dealt with it. Information is one thing...crudity directed at another's misfortune is another.

My 2 cents.

Alice
Lol Ive had my share of troubles with Castrated Burro and his texas posse but theres nothing wrong with what he said..the calf is dog doo now so he told the guy to quit looking for it...whats wrong with that?? really..some of you peopel..if you cant stand the heat stay away from the fire..theres others that can use it

tapeworm":a1wc24m5 said:
Alice":a1wc24m5 said:

My 2 cents.

Alice
Lol Ive had my share of troubles with Castrated Burro and his texas posse but theres nothing wrong with what he said..the calf is dog doo now so he told the guy to quit looking for it...whats wrong with that?? really..some of you peopel..if you cant stand the heat stay away from the fire..theres others that can use it

Friend, I ain't goin' nowhere. :p

Alice

You can love him,
you can hate him,
but you a'int gonna change him! :cry:
Take your advise from where it comes,apply what works for you and discard the rest, none of us has all the answers, but those who take the time to help are mostly spot on with their advise.
All I can add to what has been posted, is that if your experienced friend can mentor you, that would go a long way in not having to learn everything the hard way.

the correct answer is: her wheezing may or may not be related to her abortion, none of us cant really say for sure.

one thing is for sure though, an aborted calf is hard enough to find. much less one aborted for a week. i will refrain from making any crockpot statements at this time.