Lost one

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade hope you have better luck catching them than me. I caught 2 so far this year, my neighbor and his cousin. They were out hunting at 4 in the morning, that's what they called it anyway. I like the reward sign, or turn in poachers sign.

Hook, I second Isom's recommendation on the game camera. They are without a doubt the best insurance. Maybe not insurance, but the best tool for revenge (a form of insurance). In your situation, with leased land away from home, even more so. For you, I would recommend the kind that transmit the photo to your smart phone via internet in real time. It cost, but with this one loss, you could have paid for years of service.

Ouachita":3leoee0g said:
Hook, I second Isom's recommendation on the game camera. They are without a doubt the best insurance. Maybe not insurance, but the best tool for revenge (a form of insurance). In your situation, with leased land away from home, even more so. For you, I would recommend the kind that transmit the photo to your smart phone via internet in real time. It cost, but with this one loss, you could have paid for years of service.
Transmit to your phone?!!! I didn't even know they had those. I gotta get me one. Who makes em? Hiw much $$$?

Isomade":1h1casje said:
Ouachita":1h1casje said:
Transmit to your phone?!!! I didn't even know they had those. I gotta get me one. Who makes em? Hiw much $$$?

I don't have one yet. I'm still in the dark ages with standard cameras. I have a game warden friend that has the new age stuff. Only catch is, it uses cell phone towers for the internet connection, so you have to subcribe to something like verizon mifi or similar. And the placement of the camera has to be in a service area. I have not done serious research, but if you are really interested, I can get some info for you. Whats cool is you can set it up for your phone to ring when it takes a picture, thus view the picture in as quick as a phone call

Ouachita":2hkemn0j said:
Isomade":2hkemn0j said:
Ouachita":2hkemn0j said:

I don't have one yet. I'm still in the dark ages with standard cameras. I have a game warden friend that has the new age stuff. Only catch is, it uses cell phone towers for the internet connection, so you have to subcribe to something like verizon mifi or similar. And the placement of the camera has to be in a service area. I have not done serious research, but if you are really interested, I can get some info for you. Whats cool is you can set it up for your phone to ring when it takes a picture, thus view the picture in as quick as a phone call

f-ing awesome, I want one too... for the front door of my house too... just to aid in identifying the corpse of the burglar after my dog chews his face off! :)

That really sucks Hook... We've lost a couple to unknown circumstances.. but i don't think any of them were shot... everyone around here knows that if they shoot a deer on our place, we'll be eating that deer.

Hope the rest of the year works out well for you though... crappy start to it though

Isomade":4g0ty6ou said:
Hook I'd hide a trail camera in the area just in case they get the fever to come back. Sorry this happened. It's the sort of thing that makes me sit up at night. In the woods. In camo. Face paint. High powered rifle. Praying they come back.

This is exactly what I would want to do if this happened to me. F**king cowards...
Big man... go off shooting someone else's pregnant momma cow... probably while trespassing. :mad:
I'd like to see the gunman's azz get peppered! :nod:

We had a neighbor (we know which one) steal a calf from us.. was about a week old... nothing we could do about... we had lots of problems with that guy.. thankfully we don't see much of him anymore... to his credit he was a damned good cattleman

Nesikep":13dmnajg said:
We had a neighbor (we know which one) steal a calf from us.. was about a week old... nothing we could do about... we had lots of problems with that guy.. thankfully we don't see much of him anymore... to his credit he was a damned good cattleman
Friend, I don't call that a neighbor. Life has enough natural aggravations, for people to behave like that, well, it is great when they get eliminated from the human genetic pool.

glacierridge":3hrh49f8 said:
Isomade":3hrh49f8 said:
Hook I'd hide a trail camera in the area just in case they get the fever to come back. Sorry this happened. It's the sort of thing that makes me sit up at night. In the woods. In camo. Face paint. High powered rifle. Praying they come back.

This is exactly what I would want to do if this happened to me. F**king cowards...
Big man... go off shooting someone else's pregnant momma cow... probably while trespassing. :mad:

glacierridge, you better quit smoking those cuban cigars, they are getting you all riled-up. :lol2:

A camera wouldn't have done any good in this case. Best I can hope for is some neighbors see something.

Hook, what about planting some fast growing bushes up next to the fence. A lot of folks around here let their fence rows grow up just for that purpose.

Also who ever shot the cow had to be stone cold drunk, there has got to be a foot between a cow's eyes! :shock:

inyati13":1b8zbvb9 said:
glacierridge":1b8zbvb9 said:
Isomade":1b8zbvb9 said:

glacierridge, you better quit smoking those cuban cigars, they are getting you all riled-up. :lol2:

Haha, I wish I had a cuban cigar.
Nah, it's ten years working in retail, it's stupid/senseless/mean people that get me riled up.

Isomade":3eohmlf9 said:
Ouachita":3eohmlf9 said:

Here is the one my friend has.........http://www.midwayusa.com/product/449135 ... inity-camo He actually has 4 of them.

If you google "cellular game camera" or any variation of those words, I notice there are to many hits to look at. Price range is all over.

Weird irony. I lost one today. The only Jersey cow we had. She was our nurse cow. Never seemed to do well in the cold months. I fed cubes last evening and she walked up and nudged my leg as usual. She had a calf in May. Raised a fine calf and her body condition improved during the summer. She had always been a special cow. Always needed extra attention, and got it. But I always knew she was a short timer. Kids and wife loved her. She wasn't worth the haul to the barn. One day she was there normal, next day laying there stiff with her legs pokin out. Never know when. She was a good cow. Raised up many calves that were not her own. I suspect the recent bitter cold weather and snow had taken its toll on her. Bless her heart. Her calf is weaned, doing well and going to sale next week withn the others

Ouachita":1i2z5mux said:
Weird irony. I lost one today. The only Jersey cow we had. She was our nurse cow. Never seemed to do well in the cold months. I fed cubes last evening and she walked up and nudged my leg as usual. She had a calf in May. Raised a fine calf and her body condition improved during the summer. She had always been a special cow. Always needed extra attention, and got it. But I always knew she was a short timer. Kids and wife loved her. She wasn't worth the haul to the barn. One day she was there normal, next day laying there stiff with her legs pokin out. Never know when. She was a good cow. Raised up many calves that were not her own. I suspect the recent bitter cold weather and snow had taken its toll on her. Bless her heart. Her calf is weaned, doing well and going to sale next week withn the others
Sorry, it's allways rough to lose one that's liked that well, even when they are not your best cow.

My oldy has gotten talkative in her old age.. she Mmmms a lot, especially at feeding time, gotta give her a petting with every meal.. I might put her in with the calves so she has some more company.. I think her daughter has forgotten about milk by now.

And let me reword what I said earlier.. it wasn't a neighbor who stole the calf... it was someone who lived close by...