lost one

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Lost of heifer calf. First loss since November. We've been on a roll. Hopefully it is not a turn around.

The dead calf was the first calf for this cow. She would take a graft if I had one. Don't know what happened. Calf was on the ground when I got there. The udder was swollen full for two weeks and I sort of became a bit lax in my checks. Saw the heifer 4 hours before she became a cow and she looked the same, hanging with the herd, on her feet wtih no tale tell signs.

Nothing you could have done - especially checking 4 hours before. Like Caustic says, If you have cows you're gonna lose some. Hope your luck turns around!

backhoeboogie":mzeng44x said:
Lost of heifer calf. First loss since November. We've been on a roll. Hopefully it is not a turn around.

The dead calf was the first calf for this cow. She would take a graft if I had one. Don't know what happened. Calf was on the ground when I got there. The udder was swollen full for two weeks and I sort of became a bit lax in my checks. Saw the heifer 4 hours before she became a cow and she looked the same, hanging with the herd, on her feet wtih no tale tell signs.

Yep, usually around this time of year when busy doing other things and skip a check. Now if your luck is like mine......you can expect some other off the wall catastrophe shortly followed by the "I knew I should have fixed that" right after. Sort of like the old Lays Potato Chip commercial. Never just one.

Alwasy a let down when a cow looses a calf, but seems like the loss of the first calf is a bigger let down.

Latest posts