Lost one

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars":3t0augns said:
So far that is one problem I haven't had. Do they range all over Texas?
Yes, and spreading... We didn't have them 30 years ago..Now its a daily watch for trouble..

True Grit Farms":2c84gisv said:
There's a need for the buzzards, and also a place. And its also my place to in danger them if they show around my cattle.
There is no need for this type. They love fresh meat, still alive even better. They run off the brown vultures. They swarm so even if the calf is born alive, they'll harass the cow until she tramples it. Or, they'll get one bite in and the calf gets an infection a few days later..which most people self diagnose as navel ill.. And anyone who thinks they can pick them off one at a time, you're only making them smarter....

cowgirl8":3q16pw62 said:
papavillars":3q16pw62 said:
Yes, and spreading... We didn't have them 30 years ago..Now its a daily watch for trouble..

They've spread to here, in Virginia. I started seeing them around here, about 10 years ago or so. Now I see many more of them than the red head Turkey Vulture. Those black ones seem to be taking over. :mad:

cowgirl8":2k5okmfv said:
True Grit Farms":2k5okmfv said:
There's a need for the buzzards, and also a place. And its also my place to in danger them if they show around my cattle.
There is no need for this type. They love fresh meat, still alive even better. They run off the brown vultures. They swarm so even if the calf is born alive, they'll harass the cow until she tramples it. Or, they'll get one bite in and the calf gets an infection a few days later..which most people self diagnose as navel ill.. And anyone who thinks they can pick them off one at a time, you're only making them smarter....

I don't know how they are in Texas but studies have shown that the ones here run away from one hanging dead. All of the powerplants have special permits to kill several and you see them hanging everywhere but you don't see any coming onto that property either.

Ky hills":1kvbkf02 said:
They need to be taken off the endangered species list for sure, maybe even put a bounty on them.

Bill. They are NOT on the endangered species list. They are protected.

Their conservation status is listed as Least Concern. That is the lowest level on the scale.

The problem is most people will just kill them without knowing which is which...so many of the browns will die just because the person cant tell the difference if they weren't protected..... Hard to believe someone cant tell the difference..but I've seen it.

Bright Raven":3jnevtqk said:
Ky hills":3jnevtqk said:
They need to be taken off the endangered species list for sure, maybe even put a bounty on them.

Bill. They are NOT on the endangered species list. They are protected.

Their conservation status is listed as Least Concern. That is the lowest level on the scale.

Thank you for the correction and clarification. I thought after I posted that it probably was not be the correct term for it. Glad to know they are at least low level concern.
Someone else just posted about it and I have thought about the angle as well, if the black buzzards are out competing and thus decreasing the numbers of turkey vultures?

Had a new calf overnight, and when I went over to feed hay and check on the calf this morning there were probably 10 maybe more of those winged varmits sitting and flying around the area. They seemed to scatter when I came close, though it does have me worried. It's almost like they know there is calving activity and their presence has increased the longer it goes.

Ky hills":1cbgsnjx said:
Glad to know they are at the lowest level of concern.
Someone else just posted about it and I have thought about the angle as well, if the black buzzards are out competing and thus decreasing the numbers of turkey vultures?

Black vultures are expanding their range and increasing in numbers. Survival of the fittest. They are stealing the niche occupied by the turkey vulture. It is obvious to even a casual observer, there are fewer turkey vultures and more black vultures. The turkey vulture is a desirable species in respect to keeping the environment clear of carrion and not attacking livestock.

That's bad. Did you know if you shoot low and split the lower belly of those black things and spread their innards out behind them it won't kill them but they can no longer fly and will just flail around on the ground and though the others will fly off they will come right back and fight the one that's laying there kicking and screaming which will give you up to two more shots at the bunch before they get wise and fly off? This won't replace the calf but it will make you feel much better for some reason.

papavillars":161i1e2v said:
They are in your area. I am less than 100 miles from you and lost a newborn to them about 2 weeks ago.

The way I keep them from being too much of a problem in our calving herds is I keep all afterbirths picked up. If I see a cow about to shed one, I stay around and take it. I drop them in animal holes or far from our pastures.

Buzzards are not vultures and vultures are not buzzards. What species of bird is everyone talking about? I have black vultures and turkey vultures I have never seen either bother a cow calving. I am thinking you are talking about caracara bird. Looks more hawk like. I have actually never seen them around until a few months ago I saw one fly by nice and low. Haven't seen one since.

Angus86":3rg95apt said:
Buzzards are not vultures and vultures are not buzzards. What species of bird is everyone talking about? I have black vultures and turkey vultures I have never seen either bother a cow calving. I am thinking you are talking about caracara bird. Looks more hawk like. I have actually never seen them around until a few months ago I saw one fly by nice and low. Haven't seen one since.

The gist of the conversation is about Mexican Black Vultures, not Caracara. Turkey Vultures won't attack the living.

Had a new calf yesterday morning. Experienced good momma. Baby was up and was nursing when I found them as I headed out the driveway. About an hour later when we came home the fence was covered with black vultures and the bull and two other cows were charging that way. The momma and new baby had moved to the other end of the pasture. By the time I got out there they were gone. I suspect they were after the placenta....or more. It is the first time I have seen them....lots of turkey vultures around but these were black headed. Kinda scared me after reading about them here.

Latest posts