Lost on this one

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Neighbor has a Jersey that he want's to breed to my Angus bull. I don't know diddle about dairy cows and I don't know of any problems with this cross. My experience with dairy was Granny's milk cow.
Is this a good cross?
Anything to watch out for?
Info welcome.

The Jersey's I had, I had crossed with Angus. (I had 2 Jerseys) The two cows were not related to each other. I found it to be a good cross, and a not uncommon one at that. The cows always had smallish calves in the 65 to 75 pound range that came out easily except for one time when the one Jersey got bred by a Brahma bull, that calf needed to be pulled. The calves grew well and didn't have that scrawney Jersey look to them. You could tell that there may have been some dairy influence, but the calves sold well at the market.

FWIW, at one time I had considered AI to Angus for them and the Select Sires rep in my area had 2 in the catalog that were used often on Jersey cows.

Just my 2 cents worth regarding my experience with this cross.

Katherine

The cross works well, the only thing I would be concerned about is the health of their cow, IE exposure to trich etc. If she is good to go, no worries.

Well altho amongst most beef breeders, Jerseys are thought of to come from the "wrong side of the tracks"-- and they are not of normal beef cattle "color"- and thought of by some beef folks as of social low class-- I know of no major STDS known specifically to those girls-- nor of any other social issues (if you can get past the dairy cow issue)-- so your boy should be able to happily provide you and your neighbor a grandson... ;-) :p :roll: :lol2:

Just make sure you have all the paternity/prenuptial agreements in order beforehand.... ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Oldtimer":3j02jcat said:
Well altho amongst most beef breeders, Jerseys are thought of to come from the "wrong side of the tracks"-- and they are not of normal beef cattle "color"- and thought of by some beef folks as of social low class-- I know of no major STDS known specifically to those girls-- nor of any other social issues (if you can get past the dairy cow issue)-- so your boy should be able to happily provide you and your neighbor a grandson... ;-) :p :roll: :lol2:

Just make sure you have all the paternity/prenuptial agreements in order beforehand.... ;-) :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I know you are making a joke OT but you have no way in h@ll knowing what that cow was exposed to; hence the question and concern. If I was lending my herd bull out (which I would never do as we have a closed herd ) BUT, if I did, I would want to know the complete health background of that animal/herd before I would ever do it ..

I did however chuckle at your post .. :p :lol2:

hillsdown":2admknck said:
Oldtimer":2admknck said:

I know you are making a joke OT but you have no way in h@ll knowing what that cow was exposed to; hence the question and concern. If I was lending my herd bull out (which I would never do as we have a closed herd ) BUT, if I did, I would want to know the complete health background of that animal/herd before I would ever do it ..

I did however chuckle at your post .. :p :lol2:

:lol2: Thanks Hillsdown-- it was just meant for a chuckle- just couldn't resist ;-) ...

And I realize the disease issue--In Montana now- you can not lease, sell, or borrow a bull until it has been Trich tested- unless it is a virgin bull under 24 months of age...And cows/cattle from some Trich infected/quarantined states can't be imported into the state....Same as with cows/heifers from Canada can't because Montana requires calfhood Bangs vaccinations- which in the catch-22 of government regulations- Canada won't allow the vaccinations....

Ummmm sorry to jack this thread BUT you have it wrong OT. WE do allow bangs vaccine in cattle being exported or semen being exported, how the heck do you think that Canadian Holstein AI semen tops the export market year after year .

However our cattle do not need bangs vaccine as we do not have that here .

Workinonit Farm":1gcjfjq8 said:
The Jersey's I had, I had crossed with Angus. (I had 2 Jerseys) The two cows were not related to each other. I found it to be a good cross, and a not uncommon one at that. The cows always had smallish calves in the 65 to 75 pound range that came out easily except for one time when the one Jersey got bred by a Brahma bull, that calf needed to be pulled. The calves grew well and didn't have that scrawney Jersey look to them. You could tell that there may have been some dairy influence, but the calves sold well at the market.

FWIW, at one time I had considered AI to Angus for them and the Select Sires rep in my area had 2 in the catalog that were used often on Jersey cows.

Just my 2 cents worth regarding my experience with this cross.

Katherine

Young couple from church bought a Jersey heifer and raised her. Buttercup is her handle and this thing is a dang pest. They wanted fresh milk and to make their own cheese. I ask them if they fell and hit their head. I said once you start this you and Buttercup are going to be spending a lot of time together like everyday. I told them they should graft a calf or two on her and make some money. I need to learn to shut my alligator mouth.

hillsdown":371ug9e1 said:
Ummmm sorry to jack this thread BUT you have it wrong OT. WE do allow bangs vaccine in cattle being exported or semen being exported, how the heck do you think that Canadian Holstein AI semen tops the export market year after year .

However our cattle do not need bangs vaccine as we do not have that here .

Then how come no Canadians vaccinate for Bangs? That is the reason I can't import female seedstock from most Canadian dispersions/sales into Montana- because they did not have the OCV (Official Calfhood Vaccination) for brucellosis vaccination- which Montana requires for import from Canada..All the ranchers up there have told me its because Canada won't allow the OCV vaccinations anymore....

My husband AI's most all of our Jersey's to Angus bulls. He's been doing this for years and years. My BIL who has a dairy breeds his heifers to Angus bulls.

The heifers are referred to as Smooth Blacks and sell well as commercial cow replacements. The bulls calves are cut and sold when weaned. We've been lucky, the calves do not look 'dairy" and usually sell well.

It is a lot easier to sell a black steer than a Jersey steer.

ETA: If she is spoiled, tell them good luck teaching her to be milked. LOL Their life will never be the same if they have to milk.

Caustic Burno":37ouwlqx said:
They wanted fresh milk and to make their own cheese. I ask them if they fell and hit their head. I said once you start this you and Buttercup are going to be spending a lot of time together like everyday. I told them they should graft a calf or two on her and make some money. I need to learn to shut my alligator mouth.

Mine had enough milk for the bottle calves as well as some for the house when I needed it.

My primary reasons for having the Jerseys were for use as nurse cows and some milk for the house. Back when I purchased my 1st Jersey ($450.00 as a yearling) bottle babies were $15 to $25.00 a pop. By the time my 2nd Jersey left this world, those same calves were selling for $150.00 to $200.00.
Those girls paid for themselves several times over.

I'm not so sure that you'll ever learn to shut your alligator mouth. :lol2: :lol2:

I miss them.

Katherine

That was a long time ago. My last orphan I gave away, since my old nurse cow had to be sold due to old age.
Haven't been able to graft one on the others I thought might take one. Knowing me I am probally picking the wrong ones to try. I need to try and find another nurse cow. I had an old F-1 that would nurse anything.

My Jersey under my brangus does an array of offspring. The largest cow in the pasture is out of this cross. Others look just like the dam and one is a nurse cow herself. None are the same or the same coloring. Some are scurred, some have horns, some don't have anything.

You gave good advice. There's still money to be made with nurse cows even with calves at high prices.

I have one nurse cow that is a hard case. I have a crate just for her. She goes in the crate twice a day for three days then she can't tell the scent difference between her calf and the other. Turn her out to pasture and it is all good.

Latest posts