Lost Nerve

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":3k9xc59c said:
flaboy?":3k9xc59c said:
This is exactly why they say get right back on them. If you wait you get to thinking too much.

I did.

Hey mom, imagine how you would you feel if you had not gotten back on. You would think and think and eventually the fear would have taken over. You may still have reservations but, I am sure they are far less than if you had walked home.

I wrecked so bad one time as a teenager that I almost couldn't get back on. Fortunately the horse was a good one and she let me worry my way back on. It was either that or walk with a broken shoulder 3 miles back to the barn.

I know it is easy to say and harder to do but I understand where the old saying came from and why.

We were about 3 hours from the nearest ER and my horse had played out at mile 12 moving cows, (he was 2 and a half then, he's the son's now) so our friends told me to ride their horse. Went after a pair when he changed his mind charged across the road and jumped off of a 3' embakement. I stuck through the landing, but the bucking got me loose.
To get back on, which I did, I had to direct my friend in how to put a shoulder back in place. To this day just mention it and she shivers.
Now with two kids that need me getting seriously hurt is not something I look forward to.

flaboy?":1a0m1k8t said:
msscamp":1a0m1k8t said:
flaboy?":1a0m1k8t said:
This is exactly why they say get right back on them. If you wait you get to thinking too much.

I did.

Hey mom, imagine how you would you feel if you had not gotten back on. You would think and think and eventually the fear would have taken over. You may still have reservations but, I am sure they are far less than if you had walked home.

Very true, son. :)

I wrecked so bad one time as a teenager that I almost couldn't get back on. Fortunately the horse was a good one and she let me worry my way back on. It was either that or walk with a broken shoulder 3 miles back to the barn.

I can relate to that. I was fortunate enough to not break anything, but landed on hip and whiplashed all the way up my spine. Getting back on was difficult, getting off was darned near impossible, and I'm not even going to get into trying to unsaddle that horse. I got it done simply because I had to - no one else was around.

I know it is easy to say and harder to do but I understand where the old saying came from and why.

I do, too.

It's funny. To this day everytime my greenies buck or want to, I think about that shoulder. :shock:

flaboy?":2mk1ihaj said:
It's funny. To this day everytime my greenies buck or want to, I think about that shoulder. :shock:

I know, and you probably always will.

Anybody who tells you they've never come off one is either a liar or they haven't been on enough to count! The last one for me was my husbands mule. We raised her out of one of our really nice quiet foundation quarter mares - taught her respect and manners , all the groundwork, roundpen work and all that - she was fine riding in the arena and I had packed her in the mountains alot. Our first ride out in the hills, my husband kept her on a pony line, up and down hills crossed creek no problem - next time out by myself, going down a short and not too steep hill - she broke in two, I stayed on through a few jumps and tried to get her turned back up the hill to stop the bucking and I could't get it done - she bucked me off straight over her head on a pretty scary downhill run. Busted my collar bone and I still had to get back on and ride her back to the trailer. At the time I had just started a nice colt for myself - I decided to send him out to a trainer while I healed up so he didn't just stand there. When I got him back it was hard to work up the nerve to get on him (I haven't been back on the mule!) It's taken a couple of years I'm still leary on a green horse in the mountains - I'm fine in the round pen, arena and around the place - but it's going downhill that really unnerves me still. So I can sympathize.

I always suggest for a rider who has been through a situation as you discribe, to go to a local trainer and take riding lessons.
I will put folks on a lounge line and work with slow walking to get started. lots of excerises to biuld confidence.I don't care how long it takes.Slow and easy is the key.Allways safty first helments and boots.
The rider will tell you when they are ready to move on.I work over logs and talk about looking arround and breathing.LOTS OF BIG BREATHS!!When you look arroung you are seeing everthing arround you.If you are focosed on the horses ears. your tense, and can't see, what is comming at you,you stop breathing.So BREATH!! good luck! Cindy

I don't have a problem riding them for me it is teaching the to pick up their feet. I've been stomped and kicked a few times and now I am hind hoof shy with the young ones. Last one I sent to a trainer. I have a filly that I really like though and the two of us are working through my fear. She's scared too. :lol: I am doing lots of big breaths like Cindy said, so is she. So far she hasn't tried to boot me though.
I am sure not going to laugh at you. Fear is reasonable. There's too many responsibilities as an adult, you don't have time to get hurt. Maybe you should try getting on the first few times with someone leading him? Spend lots of time with him on the ground. Good luck!

Victoria":2g4foxpj said:
I've been stomped and kicked a few times and now I am hind hoof shy with the young ones.

Have you tried the rope trick? I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I've seen our farrier use in on horses who wouldn't allow him to pick their feet up, and it seems to work well. Here is what I've seen - get a soft rope, tie a loose loop in it, get it around whatever foot the horse doesn't want to pick up, pick it up and keep it up until the horse gives. If the horse jerks it out of your hands, repeat. You might want to talk to your farrier about this.

My filly that had just came back from the trainer planted me in the dirt like a cheap tulip on friday morning.

Banged up some ribs that I tore up on a construction accident a few years ago and so getting back on was out for me. Having trouble sitting in this chair and lying in a bed.

Horse is back at the trainers now.

We figured out the problem and working on solutions now.

pdfangus":1libcx20 said:
My filly that had just came back from the trainer planted me in the dirt like a cheap tulip on friday morning.

Banged up some ribs that I tore up on a construction accident a few years ago and so getting back on was out for me. Having trouble sitting in this chair and lying in a bed.

Horse is back at the trainers now.

We figured out the problem and working on solutions now.

Sorry to here that Jim. Hope you mend up ok. What is the problem with the filly that you figured out?

my size

Trainer is younger woman in good shape and can get on a horse pretty easy and nifty.

While I have been a horseman all my life I am a big and old man and there is nothing nifty about me. Been a few years since I rode regular too.

Had to really crank the girth to keep the saddle topside when I mounted. Did it slowly and in stages and did ground work in between tightening. she seemed to be settled and calm and was following me around the round pen. While the girth was not brand new, it was not old and worn out.

When I picked my self up and spit out the dirt and got the filly settled only one strand of the girth was not busted.

Now I don't know if it busted when i got on and that caused the rodeo or if the rodeo busted the girth. but it is what is it and I am too old to ride broncs anymore. Old man and a green horse may not be a real good combination. looking for a rider to put some miles on her for me without me going broke. Trainer might have a lead on a good situation.

Scared the filly badly and really set her back. Trainer has her back for a refresher course.

Yeah the girth strap was probably too tight. She may have felt a little claustrophobic with it. It never ceases to amaze me how strong these animals really are.

When I was first saddling my 2YO I had to really cinch the saddle down as it wanted to roll over on me and I am not that big (185). I soon figured out it was the dang saddle pad. I never used a pad, always used a blanket. I went back to the blanket and both the horse and I are more comfortable. I don't have to squeeze the air out of him to keep the saddle in place with a blanket.

could be part of it.

I had a pad and two navajo type plankets on her trying to keep her comfortable as I weigh about 250.

May have been just too much.

replaced the busted girth with a nyon band with wide neoprene backing to reduce slide.
Trainer recommended getting a piece of non slip carpet backing which is about the same thing as a neoprene pad.

I know the tightness or something pinching or the girth busting set her off as whe was rock solid befor this little blow up.

Sorry to hear you were hurt, pdf, and hope you are doing better soon.

Like I said, I don't bounce like I used to. I have a wonderful trainer in Tifton, GA and I'll have to give him a call soon. Seems I can't talk flaboy into breaking my two year old for me. :p

DrumRunner728":19jkmqqz said:
Sorry to hear you were hurt, pdf, and hope you are doing better soon.

Like I said, I don't bounce like I used to. I have a wonderful trainer in Tifton, GA and I'll have to give him a call soon. Seems I can't talk flaboy into breaking my two year old for me. :p

Ha, you stood me up and made me eat all those doughnuts by myself. My cholesterol probably jumped 50 points. :lol:

Real bucking horses that can really buck are not very common, but the next one I get is going down the road. Im smelling 40 and im looking at things different than a few years ago. I know I had (still have him but he isnt rank anymore) but when he was rank, well honestly it was iffy if I could stay on him. He pilled me up twice. And thats out of him bucking every single time a rode him steady everyday for a year and a half before he settled down. He still bucks but he isnt like he used to be. He is easy to ride and only bucks a bit when first saddled if you dont lunge him first. Example he bucks on the lunge line and then is okay to ride.
Anyway i will admit that I needed a drink of rum before I used to get on him. Haha I would shiver and shake without the rum and believe it or not but I dont really drink!
You know rodeo guys have it easy in a way. Example they know when there horse will buck, plus they are in an arena with people around to help if needed.
That horse I was talking about above jumped off a cliff with me once. Every time I ride a horse on a narrow trail on the side of a cliff I think about it. Have nightmares about it when I sleep.
The worst thing is that its all hills/cliffs around here. If I didnt ride on them I wouldnt be able to go far on a horse.
Like I do it anyway but honestly because of what happened before I sure as heck dont enjoy it to say the least. That was two years ago and I still dream about it except in the dreams Iwake up before we hit the bottom.

Horse Guy":1hx0gdep said:
Real bucking horses that can really buck are not very common, but the next one I get is going down the road. Im smelling 40 and im looking at things different than a few years ago. I know I had (still have him but he isnt rank anymore) but when he was rank, well honestly it was iffy if I could stay on him. He pilled me up twice. And thats out of him bucking every single time a rode him steady everyday for a year and a half before he settled down. He still bucks but he isnt like he used to be. He is easy to ride and only bucks a bit when first saddled if you dont lunge him first. Example he bucks on the lunge line and then is okay to ride.
Anyway i will admit that I needed a drink of rum before I used to get on him. Haha I would shiver and shake without the rum and believe it or not but I dont really drink!
You know rodeo guys have it easy in a way. Example they know when there horse will buck, plus they are in an arena with people around to help if needed.
That horse I was talking about above jumped off a cliff with me once. Every time I ride a horse on a narrow trail on the side of a cliff I think about it. Have nightmares about it when I sleep.
The worst thing is that its all hills/cliffs around here. If I didnt ride on them I wouldnt be able to go far on a horse.
Like I do it anyway but honestly because of what happened before I sure as heck dont enjoy it to say the least. That was two years ago and I still dream about it except in the dreams Iwake up before we hit the bottom.

Well as you phase it so well, I am smelling sixty now and any horse that bucked for a year and a half with me would find his next home in a can of alpo. there are too many decent ones to put up with crap like that. When i was a young buck I rode the rough string but I was young and rawhide tough til about 40. Now I don't bounce and my balance ain't what it used to be. Every joint I got aches everyday. As I sit here four days post crash i have pretty well decided that I do in fact have at least one busted rib again.

this is all my fault for thinking that at my age I could come close to starting a young horse having not ridden for several years. but I raised her and she was my baby and I wanted to ride her. finally having to come to terms with my age and reality and it is not plesant for a guy who used to be a tough guy.

Must admit I never had one jump off a cliff with me. I don't envy you that experience or the aftermath.

Drumrunner, I hear the heavier you are the harder it is for them to buck. I must not be heavy enough.

Horse Guy, do a search on Bronco Skip. This boy can flat buck. When I bring him to canter 5-6 times no problems I get confident and then he just goes head down, stops on his nose, gets ya forward, and then just lets go with the rear. After about 15-20 tries he finally planted me in the ground. I got back on and took him to a canter 2-3 more times that day without a buck. You just never know about this guy.

pdfangus, I hear you. While I have started my 2YO and rode him out into several pastures around other horses and cows about 15 times now, I am thinking about sending him to school. This horse training stuff is messing with my cow time. I just don't have the time to spend on him like I need to between all the chores. I am actually thinking about sending him and his buddy Bronco Skip down the road for a couple months to a guy who will work them 6 days a week for me. It ain't cheap but then neither are doctor bills.