lost it, officially.

Help Support CattleToday:

My heart goes out to you. My wife talked me into 2 last year. now we have 7. (laughin) Welcome to the club..

Beckett

Bez+":1oj5lfyc said:
You will make more money with them than you will with cows.

Have a good one

Bez+
Holy Smokes! Bez is on a roll!! :lol2: ;-)
You will make more money with them.
What do you have planned to do with them?

I had goats at one time. I enjoyed them a lot, but will never do it again......probably :help: .

well they are two young boer or boer cross does, past weaning age but too young to breed yet. so i just plan for them to eat some weeds for a while.

do they have gnats up nort? minnesooootan accents drive me wild.

Beefy,

I know I've lost it, but I'm in the process of fencing my front barn pasture (about 6 acres) with hog wire and several stands of electric and buying some boer crosses. I like the kiko's better though, but the boers bring more money at the stockyard. Maybe put a Boer buck on kiko females, that way most of the offspring would look like boer with the colored head, but have the advantage of having kiko blood. I really like the idea of kiko's not needing hoof trimming (or very little), and their natural ability to withstand parasites. I've heard some sad stories about goats just dropping dead in the pasture from worms. MsCamp has goats now, I believe. As you now she's a real sweetheart and I'm sure she would lend help. I plan on contacting her when my venture gets going. I plan on having goats by late fall, around October/November.

Hey, maybe the wife would let me have some laying hens out by the barn too. My wife is a tue city girl and cringes at all of the farm animals. She has found a sweet spot for our Jenny donkey, toto, however.

What ever happened to Demetrius? Did he go to the hamburger joint in the sky???

I have heard tell that the way to test a fence to see if it is goat proof is to throw a bucket of water at it. If the water goes through then it will not hold a goat.

Beefy":3d2mp7zw said:
just brought home two goats.

I guess I must be missing something, because I don't see how that qualifies as officially losing it. :???: Welcome to the club! I have around 100(including kids and bucks), I'm having a ball with them, and can't wait to expand into 4 additional pens! :D

hurleyjd":4s9egp2r said:
I have heard tell that the way to test a fence to see if it is goat proof is to throw a bucket of water at it. If the water goes through then it will not hold a goat.

When dad was alive, he always said, "If a fence will hold water, it will hold goats." I never liked them on the hood or in the tractor. We had a neighbor's upstairs in the barn once. We never figured that one out.

hurleyjd":2ppni11w said:

That is not entirely true, but it is very, very close. Goats are excellent fence testers. They are amazing climbers, and unbelievable jumpers - I've had 3 month old bucks jump or climb - I'm not sure which - a 5' gate to get back with their mother's. They are also perfectly capable of totally destroying conventional welded wire cattle panels, as well as aluminum cattle panels, in a matter of months. The only fence I can honestly say is 100% goat proof is a 6' chain link pen that used to be my dog pen - in the year and a half that I've been raising goats, nothing has gotten out of it - yet. I'm sure some enterprising kid will prove me wrong on that eventually, though! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife has about 20 Boar goats, I agree they are nearly impossible to keep in a fence. When they get out they always seem to eat something you wished they hadn't..... like my grapes. I don't think they come close to making more money then cattle, here we got $1.10 per lb for a 50 to 60 lb goat, $50 didn't seem close to enough money for the amount a pain they are. But, my wife seems to enjoy them.... I don't.

Alan

picture399.jpg

picture400.jpg

picture401.jpg

picture402.jpg

picture403.jpg

Latest posts