Lost first one

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Went to one of my shed's this morning to find one of my Beefmaster cows standing over her dead calf. She evidently had it last night, when it was storming / raining and must have gotten crowded in the shed; and she never got the sack completely off the newborn heifer. Still had some of it on her nose and eyes. suffocated I guess. Man... I hate to lose a calf!!!
I kinda figured she must have ingested alot of dirt (from inside the shed) and maybe couldnt complete the job. She is a 10 yr old cow and she has always calved every February, with no problems. I know its part of the business, but I still hate to lose one. :(

Sorry Mike. I had a branch land on one bull calf last year in a similar storm we just had. Calf didn't have a chance.

Sorry to hear that. We lost one during that ice-storm. Couple of days old and got into the pond. We found her dead the next morning.

Limomike":17xax747 said:
Went to one of my shed's this morning to find one of my Beefmaster cows standing over her dead calf. She evidently had it last night, when it was storming / raining and must have gotten crowded in the shed; and she never got the sack completely off the newborn heifer. Still had some of it on her nose and eyes. suffocated I guess. Man... I hate to lose a calf!!!
I kinda figured she must have ingested alot of dirt (from inside the shed) and maybe couldnt complete the job. She is a 10 yr old cow and she has always calved every February, with no problems. I know its part of the business, but I still hate to lose one. :(

Mike, sorry about that. I never have gotten used to losing them either. Dragged a really good black cow out for the rendering plant about 2wks ago. She had a "keeping kind" heifer calf six wks old that I took to the sale barn.

Mike I had not lost any calves in nearly three years but have lost two this year both heifers. One got cast and by the time I found it was to weak and died within a few ours. The other was fine one minute dead the next. She was a week old and I think she had been trampled or stepped on as all outward appearances she seemed fine.

That's too bad...nothing you really could have known to prevent but it still stinks :cry: hope the rest of your calving goes smoothly.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Lost my first calf of the season about 3 weeks ago. DOA, approx 37 days early BWF bull calf. Never any fun when that happens.

Heard about those storms on the news this morning.

Katherine

Sorry to hear that.
I know it really stinks. Just wait til you have the next one on the ground running around and happy. You will feel better.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.. I guess it never gets easy losing any of them. I have had really good success rates over the years, at least 95%, so I guess I am little spoiled.
I got several more due to calve in the next week or so.

sorry that you lost 1.but sometimes things like that happen.i lost a bull calf at 2wks old.never found it.an dont know why it died.atlest you know why that 1 died.

Sorry to hear you lost one, if you own one or one hundred cows, each loss hurts the same. We lost one the other day, head back and took too long to intervene. Especially hurts when it was an ET, and was one of the first ones born. We just keep going and hope it gets better.

Latest posts