Lost first calf of season

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's hoping everyone has the best of luck and positive results with the remainder of your respective calving seasons.

Sounds like I am not the only one with bad luck to start the year off, decided to expand our herd bought a real nice set of bred heifers due to calve February 8th. First one went Saturday sometime in the early morning hours cleaned her off and everything, not sure if it was still born or suffocated after birth but lost that one. Today had the vet come out to pull one and the calf didn't make it now the heifer isn't doing good either. Not to mention the vet bill to go along with my dead calf........

Rough go so far...

nocows":22cf04xr said:
Sounds like I am not the only one with bad luck to start the year off, decided to expand our herd bought a real nice set of bred heifers due to calve February 8th. First one went Saturday sometime in the early morning hours cleaned her off and everything, not sure if it was still born or suffocated after birth but lost that one. Today had the vet come out to pull one and the calf didn't make it now the heifer isn't doing good either. Not to mention the vet bill to go along with my dead calf........

Rough go so far...
darnit, that sucks...

Hate to see the bad luck y'all are having. We're getting ready to start calving in a couple of weeks. In 2016 we had all kinds of weird problems, lost a few calves but no cows so that was something.

Hopeful things turn around for all of you! Had our first calf last week and I just have a gut feeling it was a twin. Saw mama first thing in the morning & was sure she calved because of the blood/gunk wrapped around her tail & her messy behind. Couldn't find the calf - after 2 hours of searching. Decided to take her to the barn & check her out when she walked away 'bout 150 yards & spit out a bull calf. Okay, then! But this calf is tiny, maybe 60 lbs, and she's not only a big girl but has always had big calves. Trying to find the other calf - if there is one - is like looking for the quintessential needle in a haystack and I'll most likely never know unless I eventually stumble upon the remains or one of the dogs presents me with a bone. That said, calf is doing great.

herofan":2xv1azq7 said:
I'm on a roll now. I found this interesting little gal, along with two others, this morning.

Things took a bad turn. This little gal was found dead. I've talked to some other farmers around who are loosing more than usual. Vet says pneumonia is rough this year.

Dang, pretty little calf too!
When's the last time you saw her, anything look wrong?

On my heifer that slipped her calf, she's settled into becoming a milk cow now, standing pretty good for it and lets down her milk without much fuss.. She comes from a long line of milkable cows, and her udder is like her mommas.. the same quarters that milked best on her momma are her strongest as well

Tbrake":3mj3m6b1 said:
I know the feeling. I'm about to pull my hair out. I've only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn't lick the bag off the face, 1 didn't seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn't want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I'm about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I'm sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.
Where are you located? Most of US is Selenium deficient. do you give your cows SE in mineral or shots? Some of what you described could be explained by SE deficiency. Cows don't have the "will" to push. Calves born weak.
Herofan - glad to hear things are going better.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21r5jkvb said:
Tbrake":21r5jkvb said:
I know the feeling. I'm about to pull my hair out. I've only had 12 so far since jan 1. Have lost 5 of them. 1 the cow didn't lick the bag off the face, 1 didn't seem to want to push, pulled a dead calf the next morning. Easy pull and was positioned properly(my only thinking is I had mom locked up in the barn and she was nervous and didn't want to push. It was -9 that night) had a heifer spit one off in a ditch and abandon it. One got stepped on, and one just died. Not sure what happened. Only thing I know is I'm about to lose my mind. Wet and nasty here now, so I'm sure scours will be the next thing. Cows are fun.
Where are you located? Most of US is Selenium deficient. do you give your cows SE in mineral or shots? Some of what you described could be explained by SE deficiency. Cows don't have the "will" to push. Calves born weak.
Herofan - glad to hear things are going better.
I am feeding vitaferm conceptaid. It has maximum se allowed. As much as I hesitate to say this, things have been going pretty smoothly the last couple weeks. The last 40 I haven't lost any. 1 close call, but will a little love the calf is doing fine. 100 acre pasture, but she decided to have the calf right next to the creek. Next morning the calf was laid out flat on the ice

Nesikep":2ht1s3bi said:
Had my first of the season today.. 2-3 weeks early, dont' know what happened, have a call in to my vet.

Nesi, by the picture it looks like the placenta came out with the calf, which would indicate it separated from the uterus, thus causing the calf to suffocate inside. One of our first calf heifers did this in September. I saw placental membranes before the calf, and when I jumped in and pulled the calf, the membranes came with it. The calf flew right out, it was small (and dead, of course).

Either way, a sad ending. Good thing you are able to use the cow still. Do you guys drink your own milk?

Here is hoping everyone else has better luck.

Fire Sweep Ranch":100d6u20 said:
Nesikep":100d6u20 said:
Had my first of the season today.. 2-3 weeks early, dont' know what happened, have a call in to my vet.

Nesi, by the picture it looks like the placenta came out with the calf, which would indicate it separated from the uterus, thus causing the calf to suffocate inside. One of our first calf heifers did this in September. I saw placental membranes before the calf, and when I jumped in and pulled the calf, the membranes came with it. The calf flew right out, it was small (and dead, of course).

Either way, a sad ending. Good thing you are able to use the cow still. Do you guys drink your own milk?

Here is hoping everyone else has better luck.
well a week later she shows no sign of infection or smells, so I'm going to assume she cleaned out.
Yes, we're going to be making lots of yogurt methinks... She's gotten used to the milking routine and stands pretty well for it, lets her milk down pretty easily as well.. the "handles" are a little small for my hands though.. Makes about 2 gallons a day or so, probably would do better if it was a calf nursing every couple hours, but we'll be flooded anyhow. Probably would have done better if she carried full term too.

Yeah, it is.. but at the price of organic yogurt, she's paying her feed bill, and it certainly beats having her do nothing! With some luck I'll have a twin she can take on, been a while since we had twins, we're due for a set.

Latest posts