Lost first baby calf in three years

Help Support CattleToday:

Like my husband always tells me, just one of those things that happens.

We lost a couple of calves about 8 years ago. They were fine one day and dead the next. Stupid things ate dirt and were full of mud.
Lost one about 5 years ago from overeating disease.

It is never easy dealing with a lost calf, just keep going forward.

I've seen them stepped on and killed. So many things can happen, you can't be there to prevent all of them. You just have to do your best and move on. As I tell my husband, if you expect to never lose and cow or calf, we are in the wrong business and should get out now, cause it is going to happen no matter how hard we try. Nature's a mother.

I am of the firm belief that some animals are born just looking for a place to die.

Found a calf lying next to the bale ring this past spring. He had been stepped on and was fine that night, but dead the next morning.

Keren, I was haying the calves at night once a few years back. Dumped a bale of hay in and drove away. Didn't realize that I had dropped the bale on one of my 700# steer calves that I was going to sell the next week. The steers in that group brought $1.05 that year :frowns: It happens.

baxter78":1y83ee65 said:
grannysoo":1y83ee65 said:
It happens. Just keep taking care of the rest and move along...

I definitely am doing that. I am a perfectionist in everything I do and I feel like a failure for losing one. I know it is one calf and I know that some might not think that is significant but I still feel like a failure because i was not able to do anything about this as there were not visible outward signs.

You may be moving along, but it's not fast enough. Get over the part about feeling like a failure for loosing one. You lost one and you're going to loose more.

Do the best job that you can and you can never consider yourself to be a failure. Perfection is only available in your dreams.

Keep that TN Master Beef Producer manual nearby for situations like this. That will definitely improve your luck.

Don't feel too bad. We lost 3 newborn in 1 night due to getting stepped on around the hay ring. We started unrolling the hay and placing the hay rings really far apart and have several rings for the cows to get around. Haven't lost a calf since from being stepped on.
Kate

Cowdirt":r7rtm4bs said:
Keep that TN Master Beef Producer manual nearby for situations like this. That will definitely improve your luck.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Don't beat yourself up. I know how you feel. You hate to loose even one, but sometimes it just happens. I wouldn't have done anything different.

It really gets to you when you run out of time to go back and doctor that calf at the end of the day and tell yourself, "I'll get to it first thing in the morning. It's not looking bad yet." only to find out that it was.

Just keep your averages up, your odds up, and your head up.

RN BSN":yb963eia said:
I do that all the time, walk out into the pasture and take the temps of all the calves that are laying down. :lol2: :lol2: I guess driving from Kansas to Tenn. to check on the stock can get kind of boring. :lol2: :lol2:

don't froget he used to drive from Tenn to Ariz, so he actually shortened his drive. :D :D :D

baxter78":2rulw1gd said:
Cowdirt":2rulw1gd said:

If you got a problem with me let's hear it. Otherwise keep ya idiotic mouth shut.

Typical Tnmbp ttclm response, even some of the same wording :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe he did respond, but since you added him to your list you couldn't read what he wrote and you missed it? Just trying to help. :wave:

If yall really want something from Tennessee send me some mason jars with new lids and I'll get some Christmas cheer headed yall's way. :D :cowboy:

Crowderfarms":20vrjljf said:
If yall really want something from Tennessee send me some mason jars with new lids and I'll get some Christmas cheer headed yall's way. :D :cowboy:

Now that sounds like a deal! You gonna ship it by post office, ups, or fed-x? Nothing better than a good bottle of cheer for Christmas.