lost calf

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletom

Reaction score
i have a 3 yr old angus cow that lost her calf this year. she went full term and had the calf on a bad stormy night and something went wrong. the calf looked fine but didnt make it. any way we want to keep the cow even though she lost the baby but lately she seems to be getting skinnier. sahe still eats but seems depressed or something. she lost the calf about 2 months ago . would a shot of la 200 and worm her again help or does anybody have any ideas.

Unless you see a specific infection, i.e. foot rot, bulgy growth somewhere, or she has a temperature, antibiotics are pretty useless.
Is she by herself with now other cattle? How is the nutritional value of her feed?
Worming her probably wouldn't hurt, but it's not a panacea that a lot of people seem to think. Unless she is actually carrying a pretty severe parasite load worming doesn't do anything for her general condition.

dun

cattletom":2g2lwua0 said:
i have a 3 yr old angus cow that lost her calf this year. she went full term and had the calf on a bad stormy night and something went wrong. the calf looked fine but didnt make it. any way we want to keep the cow even though she lost the baby but lately she seems to be getting skinnier. sahe still eats but seems depressed or something. she lost the calf about 2 months ago . would a shot of la 200 and worm her again help or does anybody have any ideas.

i forgot to mention that she also had a spot on her neck where she was losing hair about the size of a grapefruit. her feed is good and she is with other cows but she seems to stand off by herself.

I'm just guessing but the spot on her neck could be ringworm or just a rub spot from going in and out of a feeder, or it could be lice, but you normally see them in other places first. Temp her, if she has a temp, some broad spectrum antibiotic may help. But without a specific sympton other then depression it's really hard to figure. Does she have adequate access to the feed? If she is timid she may just be getting pushed out and not getting her share.
Not much help I know, but it's hard to really be much help when you're X miles from the actual problem you're trying to visualize.

dun

tommy":xr2mutpr said:
i forgot to mention that she also had a spot on her neck where she was losing hair about the size of a grapefruit. her feed is good and she is with other cows but she seems to stand off by herself.

Latest posts