Lost a nice calf today. "picture"

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
She won't let you get anywhere near her. She is heading for the sale barn as soon as we catch her up. That's the problem with a very protective mother. I don't know if it was still born or what, from what I could see everything looked good.
2013-01-13_14-32-41_249-1.jpg

What is the story? After the picture, did she complete the delivery and you found it dead? Some days are diamonds and some days are stones! Sorry. Good luck.

She ended up having twins. The first one was a dead heifer and the 2nd was a bull calf. I went to the house for a drink and to change my shorts. Next thing my wife calls and said the calf was up feeding I told her she was nuts. But I was wrong again.
What a rollercoaster of a afternoon. She is still going for a ride.

highgrit":875zekmw said:
She ended up having twins. The first one was a dead heifer and the 2nd was a bull calf. I went to the house for a drink and to change my shorts. Next thing my wife calls and said the calf was up feeding I told her she was nuts. But I was wrong again.
What a rollercoaster of a afternoon. She is still going for a ride.
Man, what an experience!!! I see why you needed a drink, hope it was Kentucky made. We got the best Bourbon in the world. good idea changing shorts, these kind of days will do that.

You know your cow, but in consideration of what she was going through maybe she deserves at least a second accounting. A heifer having twins has to be confusing for her. And it would not be unusual for her to be wanting some peace to get through her ordeal. But you know her total nature and if she is a pain to deal with, then moving her out is a logical choice.

Inyati13, she's a 7 year old cow that has produced some real good calves. She breeds back real quick, but has been hard to deal with.
I thought she was coming through the back seat of the Kubota after my wife today. Might of been my lucky day, it was her's for sure.
I drink sweet tea, me and that alcohol don't get along.

Well, glad she at least had a live calf in the end. I'd send her down the road too (probably would have a few years ago lol) And I'd definitely send her if she were a heifer with an attitude, those ones only get nastier with age!

Got a bunch of 2nd calvers here we're custom managing. Wanted about 3 of them gone last fall because they were nasty at calving last spring, but the owner wouldn't agree with it. Hope that they calve on a nice day, and by themselves (for the calf's sake) cause I sure won't risk my neck for them! Going to keep a good horse handy for them tho, just in case.