Lost a lamb-need a livestock guardian dog. :(

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":jj78k1ff said:
Spin we also had a Rotweiller female...the Pryenees was so dominant over her she eventually went to live with the neighbor down the road. :lol2:

The day I bcame a Pyrenees fan was when I watched a litter of 3 or 4 month old puppies reduce a tub of fresh deer guts to a wet spot on the grass in about 20 minutes. Believe me when I say they were real tuff on the coyotes around that ranch.

Seems I am finding ALL types of dogs and price ranges..some with gurantees on working ability, AKC registered,ect..all the way down to crosses from working parents..apparently even some Pyr rescues get LGD's sometimes..

Lots of info to soak up..found a gentleman with some anatolian/akbash pups..almost 5 months old, living with older LGD's in with goats..

Any thoughts on getting a pup versus a full grown dog? my concern is, how long it could take the pup to become a formiable enough force where the yotes wouldnt look at HIM as a snack, as well as my sheep! BUT..could train him "my way" regarding handling by people and such/

Run away from anything Akbash... They're great dogs if you live in a hut with no property for them to destroy but for those of us who have a modern life they're a little much. Unless of course you've always wanted to invade China, in which case you'd be provided with your own personal tunnel in short order.

As far as the pyrs, My mother's dog was around eight months old when he saw a coyote for the first time... It was impressive. :nod: It's hard to imagine a puppy that can literally go from having two kids climbing all over him pulling his tail and ears to an eighth of a mile a way with a wagging tail and a dead coyote in its jaws and back to playing with the kids in less than five minutes.
My mom and a few aunts have had pyrs for the last twenty years. All of them have been so even tempered with people that I can't see any problem getting an adult dog to do what you want. They're kind of a dog that just does whatever they're going to do regardless of what you try to teach them so you may as well get an adult and leave them to it.

Spin...every pyrenees pup we've had was just like any other dog for 3-4 months...and chew up, dig up and/or everything they can get hold of which is plenty. We've never done any training at all. The guarding and patroling the pasture etc. is just inborn. And like CP said, awesome with family and kids. Strangers welcome too. I was always afraid someone would steal one but so far it hasn't happened. I've never had one that would ride in the truck or even in the back of the mule. They'd rather trot along with you and just do their thing. I woulnd't go give any big bucks for one either. Sometimes people buy them and then find out they just don't have the place for them. We got one from the animal shelter. Great lady. If you get a female get her spayed. Seems like every free dog in the paper is half border collie or blue healer. :lol2: :lol2:

OK, think I have found a possible..an older (7) Pyr female, been with sheep and goats..needing new home as she likes to eat chickens (no problem with me, I have no chickens and dog would be confined to the sheep pasture, so no way to get chickens on the road)

Shes about 3 hours away..but if she's all they say she is, I think it may be worth the drive. 7 is older then I wanted, but my sheep area is not huge, she wouldnt have a big area she'd have to patrol.