Lost a Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Kay

Reaction score
Weaned calves 2 weeks ago.Had a Mom a week ago look a little droopy in the ears,so brought her up no temp,kept her locked up for 3 days ate hay and grain with probios urine was clear and poop was fine drank maybe 5 to 10 gallons of water,thought maybe mastitis from drying up.Let back with rest of herd,seemed fine.3 days later seemed droopy and snotty nose,so back to the barn called the vet, temp 103 lungs clear,but he thought she had a hard time with breathing from her windpipe.So he gave her banamine and a sulfa shot and was coming back the next day to check on her.I asked if it could be a tumor or something but he thought maybe she maybe cut her mouth on something and maybe got a infection and with bellowing for her calf maybe irratated.He said her heart was fine no stress on that.But she was dead this morning.Just was reading on wooden tounge,how fast does that go? Would she been eating like she was if she had that? She was 8 years old but such a nice big cow and weaned off a bull calf @ 600 lb. 2 weeks ago..

Sorry for the loss of your cow. Did you notify the vet; he could have done a necropsy to determine cause of death or sent tissue samples to the lab. It's always hard to lose one, but worse not to know why.

I've had some cows moo until they could barely squeak when we wean calves, so that doesn't sound like a contributing factor to me.

Had one with wooden tongue. Ate very little, made chewing motions, and salivated a lot.

Latest posts