Lost A Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Lost first calf in several years yesterday. Beautiful registered Brangus Bull calf 18 days old....Saw his mom early on bagged heavily and calling for him.....no response....found him on back side of pasture, laying down "bloated".....walked him to the corral, and let the air out of him with a needle. Drenched him with 2 quarts of electrolytes as he was already beginning to dehydrate....dead this morning. I don't think I ever even saw him trying to eat grass at all although we do have a lot of lush green fertilized coastal.

TxB that sucks. Who knows? $hit happens I guess. 18 days old seems to young to overeat on anything that might bloat.

TexasBred":1s8fi1h3 said:
Lost first calf in several years yesterday. Beautiful registered Brangus Bull calf 18 days old....Saw his mom early on bagged heavily and calling for him.....no response....found him on back side of pasture, laying down "bloated".....walked him to the corral, and let the air out of him with a needle. Drenched him with 2 quarts of electrolytes as he was already beginning to dehydrate....dead this morning. I don't think I ever even saw him trying to eat grass at all although we do have a lot of lush green fertilized coastal.

I hate that ..It sounds like a total blockage from a foreign item..Did you cut him open ? Not much you can do for those besides surgery.

Sorry for your loss TB. It sounds like C&D Toxin to me. We lost one the same way a couple of weeks ago. We always vacc'd for it until this year and never lost one. I guess now we know why. The one we lost was a little older but same symptoms.

3waycross":2goyhxl2 said:
Sorry for your loss TB. It sounds like C&D Toxin to me. We lost one the same way a couple of weeks ago. We always vacc'd for it until this year and never lost one. I guess now we know why. The one we lost was a little older but same symptoms.

Had vaccinated his mom three days earlier and wormed her....did not open the calf up either. Just wanted to puke (where's that emoticon). :cry2:

sorry that you lost 1 TB.its always the 1s you have high hopes for that you loose.

Latest posts