Lost a Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Found a cow showing signs of labor, but not doing much at 6:30pm. Put her in the barn and left her alone to calve. Checked her at 9pm. Just standing there eating and holding her tail out not pushing. Checked again at 10 pm. Get her in the chute and take a feel. Tail first. Can't feel the feet. Go and get the husband and start trying to reach the vet. Husband can't reach the feet and get the vet coming our way.
Vet gets the feet up and back and starts pulling the calf. Got him out, but it was too late. Have no idea how long he had been dead.
Rather disappointing I was looking forward to the calf out of this cow. Cow is trying to claim another calf that was also born last night.
Just one of those dang things that happens. Calf was out of our new bull. :(

Anytime you have a true breech like that, it is hard to save the calf. I always feel fortunate saving a breech. Had one last year like you, cow not trying to push, but holding tail off to side. That calf was dead, and had been dead for a day or two. First calf heifer this year, knew she went into labor around 3am, and nothing by 5am. Got her in the chute and tail first. Luckily, had a live calf out by 530. Sometimes you get lucky, others not so much.

so glad you was able to catch her.an have the vet out to pull her calf.since she is wanting a calf.id try to buy 1 an put on her.

Latest posts