Lost a calf today

Help Support CattleToday:

NolanCountyAG

Reaction score
I lost a calf from a heifer today. Got a good sized group AI'd to absolute and due 1/14. I found her this morning off to herself but I don't think she had started labor yet. Came back an hour and a half later and just a portion of the head was protruding and no feet. Took a little bit to get her to a pen with a chute and went fishing for legs. She was pretty worked up at this point, finally calmed down and was able to get chains on the feet and had to use a come along to get it out. Little heifer calf about 55lbs. I feel like the calf was already dead when I found her with its head partially out. I'm hoping the rest come out easier. It's been a stressful day to say the least. :|

Sorry for your loss. That's always tough. At least the mama made it. Hopefully she will recover and the rest of your calves will come smoothly without any incident.

A.J.":10petopz said:
Sorry for your loss. That's always tough. At least the mama made it. Hopefully she will recover and the rest of your calves will come smoothly without any incident.

Thanks. Im hoping thats the way we go the rest of the way but I'm not expecting heifers to make it easy.

Sucks to lose one, but if she can't have a 55lb calf there are serious issues. (esp the come along part. legs back can earn a pass, but then the calf should fall out once straightened out)

I ain't no expert but my guess is she lost the calf for whatever reason since she was apparently was a month premature. Tried to abort it but wasn't fully dilated. Could be happenstance. But I'd probably sell her. But I may be way off base.

She definitely wasn't fully dilated.As soon as I dug the legs out and was able to get the head through it slid out easy the rest of the way. I'll see how she comes back and most likely rebreed her with the rest of her group.

Latest posts