lost 3 six mo. old calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

on 1/20/03 & 1/22/03 we lost two six month old steer calves. One day they were healthy and eating, the next they were off by themselves appearing sick and the next day they were dead. Today 3/30/03 I found a six month old heifer dead from what appeared to be the same symptoms. Black leg does not seem to be the cause as I cut each of her legs and there was no signs of that.

[email protected]

Any re-ocurring death requires that a good knowledable vet be involved. Get one.

dun

> on 1/20/03 & 1/22/03 we lost
> two six month old steer calves.
> One day they were healthy and
> eating, the next they were off by
> themselves appearing sick and the
> next day they were dead. Today
> 3/30/03 I found a six month old
> heifer dead from what appeared to
> be the same symptoms. Black leg
> does not seem to be the cause as I
> cut each of her legs and there was
> no signs of that.

> on 1/20/03 & 1/22/03 we lost
> two six month old steer calves.
> One day they were healthy and
> eating, the next they were off by
> themselves appearing sick and the
> next day they were dead. Today
> 3/30/03 I found a six month old
> heifer dead from what appeared to
> be the same symptoms. Black leg
> does not seem to be the cause as I
> cut each of her legs and there was
> no signs of that.

The muscle bundle that hosts the blackleg bug is frequently found in the leg, hence the name. However it could be anywhere in the body. In areas where the blackleg family of bugs are common, calves should be vaccinated before they are 6 months old. You will see a significant decrease in sudden 'misterious' calf deaths if you vaccinate your cows with 7-way yearly. It doesn't do the cow any good, but she will pass some protection in the colostrum.

[email protected]

Excellent advice! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound (or ton) of cure. If all cattle are vaccinated with multi-faceted vaccine program, starting as early as Vet recommended for the breed, we would probably see a huge reduction in mysterious and other diseases and conditions in our livestock. Unfortunately, there are some newbies and others who are either uninformed, unconvinced, or otherwise done't want to bother or pay $$ to have all this done; or, just decide to take their chances and hope for the best. Timely and appropriate vaccinations, de-worming, spraying for horn flies, lice, and other creatures, and other preventive treatments are more than worth the money. We're all familiar with "Murphy's Laws"...right?

> The muscle bundle that hosts the
> blackleg bug is frequently found
> in the leg, hence the name.
> However it could be anywhere in
> the body. In areas where the
> blackleg family of bugs are
> common, calves should be
> vaccinated before they are 6
> months old. You will see a
> significant decrease in sudden
> 'misterious' calf deaths if you
> vaccinate your cows with 7-way
> yearly. It doesn't do the cow any
> good, but she will pass some
> protection in the colostrum.

Define 7-way yearly,What exactly is this kind of vaccination, is it a one shot deal yearly or a series of shots?

[email protected]

I'm new at this, but my heifer had a 7 way, a 3 way and a brucellosis shot. The 7 way ( and maybe the 3 way) were readministered one month after the first vaccination. She got really sick aftert the first set for about 48 hours, had barely any reaction the month after, and barely any reaction with the brucellosis shot. She also received an IVOMEC shot back in Nov. I think I'm done until the fall, but the vet knows the schedule. None of these vaccinations were pricey. The brucellosis didn't cost anything in spite of the tag and tattoo. He just charged the $25. to come vaccinate her at my house.

[email protected]

> Define 7-way yearly,What exactly
> is this kind of vaccination, is it
> a one shot deal yearly or a series
> of shots? 7-way is the blackleg vaccination. Blackleg is really one of a group of diseases called clostridiums. 7-way protects against the 7 most commonly found in cattle. All vaccines can be seperated into 2 basic types, killed or modified live. Blackleg is a killed type and I believe every one on the market require 2 shots seperated by some time lag; read the label. Protection is permanent. However, if you revacinate cows yearly they will pass some protection to the newborn calf in the clostrum. The 3-way vaccine you refer to is a combination of respiratory diseases which need 2 shots for full protection and yearly booster for your permanent herd(cows). It is available as killed or mod. live. Modified live vaccines are usually cheaper and can be more protective but may have some restrictions for use(read the label). Modified live means weakened and can get a stronger immune response because the animal has to kill it itself. That is why you may see the animal feeling poorly for a day or two. That is normal. Ask your vet or a local cattle producer about regional diseases you may also need to vaccinate to control.

[email protected]

Latest posts