Loss of tail switch?

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it possible that it got caught on something and got pulled off? If that isn't the case then I would say it is likely related to the fescue. From what I can tell some cattle are affected and others aren't.

We see loss of tail switches in dairy cattle occasionally. They can get stepped on and pulled off as the cow tries to get up, they have gotten caught and the cow has actually pulled it off trying to get free of whatever it is caught up in. Was it bloody like it had gotten injured/pulled off?

farmerjan":3asd0u7h said:
We see loss of tail switches in dairy cattle occasionally. They can get stepped on and pulled off as the cow tries to get up, they have gotten caught and the cow has actually pulled it off trying to get free of whatever it is caught up in. Was it bloody like it had gotten injured/pulled off?
I didn't see any signs of trauma, just an ugly nubby tail! Lol
It didn't look completely hairless, kinda scruffy/scraggly.

I had that happen with a calf once years ago. Lost the switch then the rest of his hair fell out. It grew back but always looked funny. I also had a donkey loose his switch but I'm pretty sure another donkey pulled it out. Took forever to grow back.

Can't be fescue, she only lost the hair, at least that's how it looks in the picture. Like farmerjan said, it could have been stepped on, or it could be stuck in the fence somewhere. I imagine it will grow back.

southernultrablack":2axw9dvu said:
Supa Dexta":2axw9dvu said:
Fescue toxicity
Would I not see this in the other cattle?
There is fescue here, but mostly summergrasses now. And my largest paddock of fescue is the good endophyte type ( Kentucky 32).
not all of em will be effected from the fescue..it'll effect feet, tips of ears...got a cow that looks like her ears have been frostbit..not all cattle you see standing in ponds this time of year is from the heat..""fescue foot""It slows blood flow to the extremities.. Wouldn't panic over it though just yet..

We had 3 or 4 to lose their switch when a few weeks of each other 4/5 years ago. The only time it ever happened. Still have cattle on same pasture.

Latest posts