loss of hair

Help Support CattleToday:

tripil7z

Reaction score
My first bull calf.I'm a newbie with my first bull calf.3 weeks old,drinking milk and starter grain out of a buckett.Milk in the morning and at night with a little grain.Hes out on land where theres grass and 2 natural springs on the property.When it comes to feeding time I've noticed some small patches of hair missing on his backbone near his tail.One thing I noted right away was it was only on his white hair.Photosynthisis? well I heard of that but I pintched his black hair and pulled it right out just as easy as his white hair.It's like hes shedding ? Could he just be rubbing his back to relieve an itch? and with the shedding it's just making some bald spots? I noticed the spots are getting a little bigger day by day. I've seen pics of ring worm and I think it's safe to rule that out.Lice? well I've inspected the spots many times very closly to find no lice or any parasites.Sorry no pics at the moment,I know they would be of help to diagnose the problem.The pinkish skin on the patches has a small clear scab,but his nose had the same looking scab that eventually wore off.I think the scabs are actually peeling skin from a little sun burn as temps have been in the mid 90's and soon to be in the 100's next week.Is it possible that this heat is causing my calf to shed hair or do I have something more serious to be concerned about? He appears very spunky.Running,jumping and playing everyday.

Thank you for your opinions
Ernie

it could be any of the things you suggested-rubbing, lice, etc etc. I would just keep an eye on it-if he looses big patches or starts bleeding, etc. then I would do something about it. Have you wormed him? Most wormer pour ons deal with lice too.

Thank you Larry. Hair is growing back in nicely and my calf is growing out of the Crypt. I guess thats really going around in calves now huh..??

tripil7z":7z5pnwo9 said:
Thank you Larry. Hair is growing back in nicely and my calf is growing out of the Crypt. I guess thats really going around in calves now huh..??

Crypto is very common ansd is a big cause of scours. A healthy calf can handle it ok. We use Deccox M in the milk at double rate, seems to help a lot. Anyway glad your calf is better.

Larry

Latest posts