Losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

mcurles

Reaction score
We've got several that have spots of hair loss. This one is the worst. We are new to raising cattle. Does anybody know what this is and what to do about it?

Remeber if it is ringworm which I also suspect it is, it is contagious as the devil

I've had ringworm. Mine did not look like that. Mine was a near perfect circle with a thin ring of dead skin on the perimeter.

M-5":2uwpbs2i said:
City Guy":2uwpbs2i said:
I've had ringworm. Mine did not look like that. Mine was a near perfect circle with a thin ring of dead skin on the perimeter.

Are you a bovine with a coat of hair??

Human and cow skin different of course is not going to look the same

I am a human with hair and the ringworm is a fungus. I would think the damage it causes would have SOMETHING in common on both surfaces. Does the calf in the picture have naturally black or white skin? My skin turned slightly red from the damage. I am speaking from EXPERIENCE, but my EXPERIENCE may have my brain all screwed up, I know it happens to others.

City Guy":1nggtezx said:

I, too, had ringworm once, same as you described, perfect circle. To this day I still do not know where I got from.

Whether human, bovine, canine etc, there usually is some damage to the skin.

I've had ringworms several times in my child hood . evrry time i had th em it was from felines , I was rarely seen with shoes back then and played in the dirt all the time. With more than one it can be patchy like the cow . I assume because the skin is thicker it appears different but it's the same fungus . I was always treated with kerosene and painted with finger nail polish. Don't know if it helped but that's what they did.

M-5":21swv8oj said:
I've had ringworms several times in my child hood . evrry time i had th em it was from felines , I was rarely seen with shoes back then and played in the dirt all the time. With more than one it can be patchy like the cow . I assume because the skin is thicker it appears different but it's the same fungus . I was always treated with kerosene and painted with finger nail polish. Don't know if it helped but that's what they did.

Your so lucky. If walnuts were green, momma would use that, if not I had to go to school with blu kote on mine.

it is a fungus & fungus needs air & light, which is why used black motor oil, one dose will kill it or you can wait for it to run it's course

Latest posts