Losing Cattle? TX Beefmaster Need Help

Help Support CattleToday:

rcoon1011

Reaction score
Lost a 90 Day Calf, who was drooling profusely, lethargic and then laid down, never got back up, trouble breathing.

One week later, lost a twenty month registered Beefmaster Heifer, exhibiting the same symptoms; woke up next morning, could barely walk, by the time I got the trailer around, she couldn't get up. Three hours later belly bloated and gone?

No I have a four year Heifer with signs of white mucus in nostrils, not eating, which is very unusual, maniac over cubes and grain typically? Had Border Collie rune her around a bit to get her belly working again, not sure what is causing this, but sure could use some help here. Thanks everyone!

South TX heat is brutal, bumped their cubes up to 40%, put protein tubs in pasture and they have plenty of hay and water?

rcoon1011":3fhx0jzb said:
Lost a 90 Day Calf, who was drooling profusely, lethargic and then laid down, never got back up, trouble breathing.

One week later, lost a twenty month registered Beefmaster Heifer, exhibiting the same symptoms; woke up next morning, could barely walk, by the time I got the trailer around, she couldn't get up. Three hours later belly bloated and gone?

No I have a four year Heifer with signs of white mucus in nostrils, not eating, which is very unusual, maniac over cubes and grain typically? Had Border Collie rune her around a bit to get her belly working again, not sure what is causing this, but sure could use some help here. Thanks everyone!

South TX heat is brutal, bumped their cubes up to 40%, put protein tubs in pasture and they have plenty of hay and water?

They dam sure don't need that much protein in the heat your just raising their body temp.
Running sick cattle with a dog gets you the blue ribbon in the stupid tax event.
Sounds like they might have BVD or BRD
you need a vet not the Internet.

Thanks for your help and belittling, condescending comments there Brimmer, but she is doing much better today, thanks to God! God bless you and help you control your venomous tongue and I am praying for you man!

RC

rcoon1011":1qjbjd0k said:
Thanks for your help and belittling, condescending comments there Brimmer, but she is doing much better today, thanks to God! God bless you and help you control your venomous tongue and I am praying for you man!

RC

If you have tender feelings you won't last long in the cattle business.
I don't need your prayers for giving you a dose of truth.
Cheaper to protect them than loose em
https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/categor ... 71120.html

rcoon1011":3cwq2cmm said:

RC

Glad she is doing better. No belittling there, putting a dog on a sick cow with possible pneumonia is a death sentence.

CB speaks the truth :nod:

I'm glad she's doing better, but I'm curious why you didn't answer bbirder's question. I thought it was a good one.

rcoon1011":zikt6ieh said:

RC

Don't sweat it to much, some folks can be asshats around here and it's ok, others can't. Them Brimmer Pimps are a whole nuther breed. :lol:

Ol' 243":216ayu2e said:
rcoon1011":216ayu2e said:

RC

Don't sweat it to much, some folks can be asshats around here and it's ok, others can't. Them Brimmer Pimps are a whole nuther breed. :lol:

How rude that almost hurt my feeling.

Caustic Burno":3b4m7m7m said:
Ol' 243":3b4m7m7m said:
rcoon1011":3b4m7m7m said:

RC

How rude that almost hurt my feeling.

Just like me, don't need an "S"

Feelings not hurt, but sure was ready to respond like my old self, the Special Operator that I am, he sure would've got them hurt then! Proverbs 18, stick by it, all day long. Hoping to keep em healthy.

Thanks for the website anyway pimpmaster, much cheaper than what I have been paying in South TX! Dont have many feelings left after two very long tours in Iraq, sorry!

Rcoon, stick around, this can be a tough bunch. Most of em don't mean nothin by it. We get a lot of one and done posters. They buy a bottle calf and don't know sheit about it, come on here for help and when the sumbeotch dies you never hear from em again. You had the unfortunate interaction from a brimmer pimp, they just are cranky ol' basturds and want to show out like their cows. Have you ever seen them ugly basturds?

:lol: :lol:

Oh, I apoligize for not mentioning it, . . . . . . . . .thank you for your service. I hope you got an opportunity to kill some of them goat f*****'s while you were there.

Caustic Burno":2isw03pb said:
rcoon1011":2isw03pb said:

RC

I reckon you ought to listen to what he's saying. He's got way more than 5 years in cows

Craig Miller":3l6hbgkb said:
Caustic Burno":3l6hbgkb said:
rcoon1011":3l6hbgkb said:

RC

I reckon you ought to listen to what he's saying. He's got way more than 5 years in cows

And ???? The guy is trying to ask a question and learn something. Stop being a dick. He comes on here, ask a question, gets treated like shyt, and then you pile on him. WTF? Maybe we should ban him, give him CG8's phone number, and let him ask a pro.

Ol' 243":chzg4rac said:
Craig Miller":chzg4rac said:
Caustic Burno":chzg4rac said:

And ???? The guy is trying to ask a question and learn something. Stop being a dick. He comes on here, ask a question, gets treated like shyt, and then you pile on him. WTF? Maybe we should ban him, give him CG8's phone number, and let him ask a pro.

He asked a question and he got an answer.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":vybtnvr2 said:
Can this be Blackleg? I don't have any experience with it or know the symptoms?

Doubtful due to age of the older cow.
Sounds more like BRD due to dry dusty conditions.
If you ever suspect blackleg feel the bag legs the muscles under the skin will feel like Fritos.

Caustic Burno":2rdx851h said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2rdx851h said:
Can this be Blackleg? I don't have any experience with it or know the symptoms?

Doubtful due to age of the older cow.
Sounds more like BRD due to dry dusty conditions.
If you ever suspect blackleg feel the bag legs the muscles under the skin will feel left leg Fritos.
The most common "symptom" of Blackleg and other colostridial diseases is a dead animal. They're that fast. Fritos is a good analogy; it's like bubble wrap and pops. We lost a 2 month old calf to Clostridium Perfringens Type D (overeating disease) last year and this year a 2 month old calf looked like she had watery, clear scours, was still with the herd/nursing but we treated her anyway with Sustian III & drenched with electrolytes. Temp was normal but the thermometer came out bloody. Dead by the next morning. There was very little left of her (buzzards) but the vet suspected a colostridial disease. Passive immunity generally protects the calf up to around 3 months but clearly that's not always the case. Blackleg/clostridial diseases in adult cattle are uncommon.
That said, I agree with CB. Not sure where the OP is located but the weather has been weird this summer & a lot of ranchers around here have been battling pneumonia.

Latest posts