Losing calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Bookman, recheck the health records. Did they receive ScourBos 9 AND Scour Bos 4???
If they did not receive a 2nd shot within the designated time frame, the first shot is not helping you AT ALL. I would revaccinate anything that has not calved with both shots if you have time.
Were these heifers in good body condition or did the vet need to sell because he didn't have pastures/feed for them? If in poor BCS, their colostrum will not contain very good antibodies. Be sure to start adding Probias (or similar product) to all the calves you are giving antibiotics to. Antibiotics kill GOOD bugs along with the bad bugs. Probias will replace them which they need for recovery and apetite.

I'd revaccinate all the ones who have not calved yet with scour guard or some type. Isn't there one that is only supposed to be used within 8 weeks of calving?

Is there any chance they used an expired vac and/or didn't follow up with a booster? Perhaps it was a bad batch, anything is possible.

If he had been feeding a medicated mineral wouldn't that have stopped some of that??

Jeanne, you mentioned to check the mamma's vacs, no Scour Bos 4 here, but isn't Scour Bos 9 sufficient? Looks like it was given on time, no?

6/2/04 1st Vacs - Titanium 5, Clostridium 8-way

6/22/04 2nd Vacs - Titanium 5, Clostridium 8-way, Branded,& Bangs Vac
6/7/05 preg check, Vibrio Lepto
11/1/05 wormed, Scour Bos 9
12/2/05 Scour Bos 9

The first calving date was 12/21, last was 1/12.06.
The vet formula I spoke of, I checked on this morning: Here goes: Tylan 200, Sulmet, Centrene. Supposed to target E.Coli, Coccidia and Salmonella. Nothing for Pneumonia, so I have Nuflor on hand, also spiking the creep feed & mammas feed with 4G Auremycin crumbles as of today. The Little Bits haven't found the creep yet, but hope they will.Here's one for the Old Tymie remedies. Given advice by a guy while waiting at the counter: Cooked Oatmeal-calves love it & settles the scours right now. Or somebody else chimed in-Just give them a crushed egg-shell & all. OKKKKKKKKKKKKK :roll:

Scour Bos 9 recommends revaccinating with SB 4, but I'm sure SB 9 given twice should be just the same. So looks like they were vaccinated properly. The thing with Ecoli is there are SOOOO many strains. The vaccine is OBVIOUSLY for a different strain than you have - IF that's what you are fighting.
I would get some Selenium in the calves right away. If they are SE deficient, they have less resistance to bugs. According to Dun, Mo is SE deficient like it is out here. Major important to keep babies healthy. I give BoSe right away at birth, along with A&D & Iodine naval.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1162m78r said:
Scour Bos 9 recommends revaccinating with SB 4, but I'm sure SB 9 given twice should be just the same.

Although I'm not in Jeanne's league, I don't suppose it occured to you to check the differences in the vaccines? Seems to me there is a specific reason that the manufacturer recommends vaccinating with BOS 9 and then, 4 weeks later, with BOS 4, but I could be wrong. Just my thoughts.

We use Spectam (Red) 10cc usually does the trick. Calves take it like candy. They like the taste.

msscamp":3id06u1k said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3id06u1k said:
Scour Bos 9 recommends revaccinating with SB 4, but I'm sure SB 9 given twice should be just the same.

Although I'm not in Jeanne's league, I don't suppose it occured to you to check the differences in the vaccines? Seems to me there is a specific reason that the manufacturer recommends vaccinating with BOS 9 and then, 4 weeks later, with BOS 4, but I could be wrong. Just my thoughts.

You are VERY right. Not being familiar with this particular drug, I would HOPE a vet knew the difference!! :shock:
Like Bovishield 4L5 (9 way) vs BoviSh 4 (4 way). The added 5 represents 5 strains of Lepto & is not harmful (actually helpful) to redose.
BUT
The SB9 contains 4 e coli, 3 rotavirus, 1 coronavirus, & 1 Cl perfringesn Type C.
The SB4 has (I looked it up) 3 rotavirus & 1 coronavirus.
So, I don't know if it is harmful to repeat the dosage on the e coli & Cl perf.
I would be calling the manufacturer & ask, which would be questioning the vets knowledge, but believe me, there are soooo many meds out there, not all vets are up to snuff on them.

Latest posts