loose stools

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What is the best home remedy for lose stools in a small calf. I was told that you can give it water with soda and salt in it ? And what about a raw egg? Does anybody know anything about this.<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Darryl, You first should identify why the calf is scouring. Is it a bottle calf, Is it eating solid food (grain)? If you are bottle feeding, this is somewhat common. First, make sure you bottles are clean (not just rinsed out but washed), and try spreading your feedings out. If you are feeding it alfalfa hay, quit this immediately and get some good quality grass hay- alfalfa is too rich in nutrients for a very young calf. I also would not reccomend the raw egg, first of all there is a good possiblility of giving the calf a good dose of salmonella (raw eggs are notorios for this) and secondly they contain a compound called avidin which can bind up the vitamin biotin and cause other problems unless the egg is cooked.<p>
<br>

(User Above)":1ci3uu7c said:
: What is the best home remedy for lose stools in a small calf. I was told that you can give it water with soda and salt in it ? And what about a raw egg? Does anybody know anything about this.<p>Ok....the best remedy is cleanliness to prevent the problem in the first place! If that fails, find out why and either vaccinate against it or treat it with the correct meds. In the first 5 days, likely E-coli, needs antibiotics as well as electrolytes. 7-14 either e-coli or likely viral, rota or corona. Antibiotics won't touch it, use electrolytes, maybe stat or kaopectate. In really toxic calves, i'll give activated charcoal orally, seems to really bind the toxin, but the calves are also put on IV fluids. Don't use electrolytes with sodium bicarb if the calf is still nursing mom, which you should encourage (they lose much less weight) and give them lots of fluids, at least as much as they're losing. Calf boluses can help, but aren't usually enough. I'll sometimes give them raspberry jello, not gelled but cooling, regular strength. It gels in the gut, the sugar feeds the enterocytes, and it gives them a bit of time for the gut to heal. Sounds crazy, but it can work. Also, talk to your vet--they may have great ideas! Good Luck<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts