Loose Stool

Help Support CattleToday:

jrgrtx

Reaction score
Brought home 2 heifers and a bull. Heifers are about 7 months old, bull is about 9 months old. No other cattle in 15 acre pasture with them and none around them in adjacent pastures. No cattle has been in the pasture for over 10 yrs. First day they had fairly loose stool and I figured it was due to shipping. Kept them pinned up for about a week with nothing but hay, cubes and fresh water. Seemed to get better. Turned them out and noticed last night (after a week in the pasture) that the loose stool is still there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well you bring up a very good point. They were mainly on hay in a lot where we got them from, not pastured. We have gotten quite a bit of rain in the area recently (south tx) and have fairly thick new growth green grass.

jrgrtx":2rj4i1xc said:
Brought home 2 heifers and a bull. Heifers are about 7 months old, bull is about 9 months old. No other cattle in 15 acre pasture with them and none around them in adjacent pastures. No cattle has been in the pasture for over 10 yrs. First day they had fairly loose stool and I figured it was due to shipping. Kept them pinned up for about a week with nothing but hay, cubes and fresh water. Seemed to get better. Turned them out and noticed last night (after a week in the pasture) that the loose stool is still there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You currently running the bull with the heifers? Heifers are not typically bred until they are at least 14 months old. Those gals might be cycling already, and you can be in for some real problems...
Just wondering

Thanks for that. Yes I was running them together. I didn't think they'd cycle this young. Guess I need to consider sticking that bull in a separate pasture.

Our purebred simmental heifers are cycling by the time they are 6 months old. Some breeds cycle later, but why take the chance?

I have simangus and I see the heifers cycle as young as 7 months. Had one palpatated by the vet at 9 months and he said her reproductive system was like a yearling.

I appreciate it. I'll get the bull out of the pasture this weekend. He's a young one too (9 months) but I don't want to take a chance.

jrgrtx":3d0gduu6 said:
I appreciate it. I'll get the bull out of the pasture this weekend. He's a young one too (9 months) but I don't want to take a chance.
And in 2 weeks give the heifers a shot of lute to make sure they aren;t going to be carrying a calf.

Latest posts