loose minerals-horses and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

vk ranch

Reaction score
does anybody feed loose minerals to both cows and horses on the same pasture? If so what kind are the best.

thank you
Dot

vk ranch":1cbs82t1 said:
does anybody feed loose minerals to both cows and horses on the same pasture? If so what kind are the best.

thank you
Dot
A lot of folks to just out of necessity. Just make sure the mineral has no Bovatec or Rumensin in it.

TexasBred":39r1n46c said:
vk ranch":39r1n46c said:

thank you
Dot
A lot of folks to just out of necessity. Just make sure the mineral has no Bovatec or Rumensin in it.
Just depends on the horse from what I've seen,, if it's a hundred dollar plug,no problems. but if their a high dollar using hoss, it'll drop em like a sack of Crete mix... :cowboy:

I'll second the recommendation to make sure the mineral has no Bovatec or Rumensin in it - but it actually takes a pretty good slug of the ionophores to kill a horse... though it seems like the 'valuable' ones have a much lower threshold ;)
Hayburners here get access to the same mineral the cows eat (though they just get a red t/m salt block during the summer when they're grazing the yard and orchard).

Only thing that ever gets any ionophores are (occasionally) the weaned calves - just started top-dressing their DDG with Rumensin mineral last year when we pulled 'em in off the cows, to help combat coccidiosis.

Since my daughter's horses are pastured with the cattle year-round, I don't use any mineral, feed or supplement on the place that isn't safe for the horses and her goats too. I use Right Now Onyx year-round and all three species thrive on it. They also all seem to benefit from loose salt with EDDI.

Lucky_P":54kj348b said:
I'll second the recommendation to make sure the mineral has no Bovatec or Rumensin in it - but it actually takes a pretty good slug of the ionophores to kill a horse... though it seems like the 'valuable' ones have a much lower threshold ;)
Hayburners here get access to the same mineral the cows eat (though they just get a red t/m salt block during the summer when they're grazing the yard and orchard).

Only thing that ever gets any ionophores are (occasionally) the weaned calves - just started top-dressing their DDG with Rumensin mineral last year when we pulled 'em in off the cows, to help combat coccidiosis.
Would the "valuable " ones be the same ones that just won't eat anything but "sprayed and fertilized Bermuda" by any chance ? I really have no tolerance for those kinds of horses . Or the ones that I need a pair of spurs for.

snoopdog":1b0kbaun said:
Lucky_P":1b0kbaun said:

Would the "valuable " ones be the same ones that just won't eat anything but "sprayed and fertilized Bermuda" by any chance ? I really have no tolerance for those kinds of horses . Or the ones that I need a pair of spurs for.

You'll never be a barrel racer with an attitude like that.

ALACOWMAN":2pf8usfo said:
TexasBred":2pf8usfo said:
vk ranch":2pf8usfo said:

thank you
Dot
Just depends on the horse from what I've seen,, if it's a hundred dollar plug,no problems. but if their a high dollar using hoss, it'll drop em like a sack of Crete mix... :cowboy:
Same horse. One is alive, standing and doing well. Other dropped dead. :lol: ;-)

Latest posts