Loose mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

colleen

Reaction score
We give our cows the mineral in tubs year round. Today my husband bought them some loose mineral. Thought we would give it a try. Is there any worry that they may take too much of it?
Thanks,
Colleen

Since it's new it's a treat and they may over eat it at first. The worst of that is the damage to the wallet. Eventually they will settle down and the consumption will get to around normal.

Thanks! A couple of them act like they are starving all the time so I figure since its in a bucket, they are gona eat all they can while its there!!

They have a salt block, but haven't really used it a lot. Been there for quite awhile. How do you know if they need salt?

colleen":233ksoe0 said:
They have a salt block, but haven't really used it a lot. Been there for quite awhile. How do you know if they need salt?

If they need salt, they will eat the salt block down quickly, if not, they will leave it alone, simple as that.

Depending which loose mineral you have, it may have some salt as an intake limiter already in it.
When I left loose mineral out, the cows never touched it, but liked on their salt and min blocks all the time. I had to mix some in with feed to get them to eat it.

greybeard":3oksn78j said:
Depending which loose mineral you have, it may have some salt as an intake limiter already in it.
When I left loose mineral out, the cows never touched it, but liked on their salt and min blocks all the time. I had to mix some in with feed to get them to eat it.
Actually the salt is in the mineral more to encourage consumption rather than limit. Cows will always take some salt and in the process get the vitamins and minerals as well.

Here in Ga. it's from 10 to 30 dollars for a 50lb. bag. Most of the time it will be less than 300$ by the ton.

Depends a lot on the brand and what's in it. Ours is 24 bucks for a 50 lb sack but it has CTC and IGR in it. Without either it's significantly cheaper

dun":1j0yrgn2 said:
Depends a lot on the brand and what's in it. Ours is 24 bucks for a 50 lb sack but it has CTC and IGR in it. Without either it's significantly cheaper

What brand is that and what is CTC and IGR? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":3lu061mo said:
dun":3lu061mo said:

Vigortone

dun":1vk85gh1 said:
Kingfisher":1vk85gh1 said:
dun":1vk85gh1 said:

Vigortone

Good brand!! I had put mine in a ground based mineral feeder that had a very heavy rubber mat over the top. Worked good. Will be buying another one in the near future.