loose horns

Help Support CattleToday:

stewart

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I noticed the horns on my brahman cow seem to be loose i can wiggle them some but not a whole lot is this normal ? Thanks for everyones help.

Stewart

WORANCH, They are not scurs. Thank you very much for your reply.

Stewart

stewart":1wrkx7yq said:
WORANCH, They are not scurs. Thank you very much for your reply. Stewart

It takes an awfully hard shot to break a horn loose from the skull. By definition horns are attached to the skull, scurs are horn material that are only attached to the skin.

dun

Are they big horns or is on a small calf they may be scured? We have had a few Brahmans with banana horns. They are loose and flop around.

yeah banana horns will flop around and if you dont watch out for them they will grow into the skull. we inherited an escaped brangusy-type cow with banana horns that had grown into her, almost in her eye sockets. she was kind of nuts, but understandably so. had to tranquilize her and saw them off with a wire. sometimes little nubby horns that come back after dehorning will be floppy. no big deal.

Beefy is right, it is hard to dehorn a brahman, they have a very large horn base. As a calf it can look like it was all gotten and then later they will grow a semi horn from a little piece of horn bud that was left. Can develop into quite a lot of horn but the only ones I have had are loose.

She has never been dehorned i have had her ever since she was born she is 4 now. Her horns grow down toward her ears. They don't flop but you can move them enough to tell they are a little loose.
Thanks for all the replys. Stewart

stewart":12ircx1v said:
She has never been dehorned i have had her ever since she was born she is 4 now. Her horns grow down toward her ears. They don't flop but you can move them enough to tell they are a little loose.
Thanks for all the replys. Stewart

Still sounds like scurs.........

Latest posts