Loose Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

WORANCH":2thzk662 said:
[

Ultraviolet light (sun light) - breed for eyelid pigmentation, introduce Brahman influence into the herd,

maybe herefords are more susceptible than some breeds............ :shock:

Ultraviolet light (sun light) - breed for eyelid pigmentation, introduce Brahman influence into the herd, provide shade or tree rows with ample room to prevent overcrowding.

Funny I have never had a case. Maybe I just take better care of my sorry old Herefords.

Jun26012.jpg
[/img]

Dauble R Ranch,
Herefords may not do wll where you live, but here in NY they top the sales. As far as pinkeye most Herefords are bred to have pigmented eyes, (some look kind of like pandas) to give resistence to pinkeye. Also, the only fault with Hereford beef I've ever heard anybody complain about is exesive back fat, the quality is exellent.
-Matt

:eek: I am surprised to hear about the reduction in pink eye. Everyone I had spoke with told me to run from white faced cattle (Must have had bad experiences.) so when I went to buy I had already been prejiduced against Polled Herefords. I must say that I started out saying that I would raise the herefords and was convinced not to buy purley on what I liked but to consider the Market. Angus influence is what was selling well here. Interesting that the Herefords are doing well at the auctions. I will have to watch a little closer. I would not mind running half and half ! Sounds like a good way to hedge your bets!

:cboy:

Double R Ranch":2zyjhvqu said:
Plus, white faced cows have such a major problem with pinkeye.

Not true. Other breeds have just as much problem with pinkeye. Hereford cattle can be bred for pigment which makes their eyes just like any other breed.

Double R Ranch":2zyjhvqu said:
I DO NOT see any signs that say Grade A USDA choice Hereford. Tender meat and marbling is what the consumer wants. Higher body fat is better for marbling. It is all about the angus.

Maybe where you're shopping. There is such a thing as Certified Hereford Beef & you can purchase it labeled that way at certain stores & restaurants, just like Certified Angus Beef.

Try to make knowledgeable statements with facts next time, but we will keep in mind that this came from someone who didn't know what lutalyse was.

As for angus not being the only animals with black hide. The others can only disguise themselves as angus until the hide is pulled off. Black exotics will not grade. They may yield but they won't grade.

It amazes me to read posters that have no idea what they are talking about. The statements about Angus, Brahman, Herefords, Limms, Simms. and, etc., are bad with tons of problems is a lot of hogwash. Its a matter of personnel preference when it comes to breeds horned or polled and what fits your program. There aren't bad cattle just poor cattlemen.

Double R Ranch":19op7uf9 said:
You are welcome to your opinion. Keep in mind that people that deal with pinkeye know which animals have problems and which don't.
Your post does say a little about you however.

You are welcome to your opinion. Keep in mind that people who deal with herefords know whether they have a problem with pinkeye or not. We have raised herefords for many, many years. We run more than 200 head and the last case of pinkeye we saw was about 15 years ago.

Your post(s) also say a lot about you.

Hey, had I not brought up herefords, we wouldn't have had this, and, not have potentially learned something. I love starting trouble...

I personally like herefords. My grandfather raised them for years, but I see them at the bottom of my local sale every week. I'm thinking about buying a bunch of the heifers to throw a good brangus bull on.

Herefords are great because they are an excellent compliment to just about any breed for crossing. Our climate is very hard on them, but a touch of brahman (Braford) makes them a heck of a fine momma cow.

J Baxter":yrlfnhgm said:
I personally like herefords. My grandfather raised them for years, but I see them at the bottom of my local sale every week. I'm thinking about buying a bunch of the heifers to throw a good brangus bull on.

we run a brangus bull on our registered females that don't quite make it in the registered herd. excellent cross. i think you'll be pleased with it as well. the steers top the market & the heifers make good replacements females.

Part of the pinkeye problem may be related to where you live. We raised purebred herefords for years and pinkeye was only an occasional problem. Since I moved to the new farm, pinkeye and footrot both seem to be a problem with those herefords. My dad keeps a few on my brothers' place, next to mine for sentimental reasons. They do raise nice calves off a black bull but I wouldn't have them on the place because treating them is alot of extra work. We were told to feed them red salt and that seems to help the problem somewhat but the black cattle still seem more resistant.

:stop: what do herefords with pinkeye have to do with a brangus that escapes and has already been sent to the salebarn?

Beefy":uzw7grrw said:
:stop: what do herefords with pinkeye have to do with a brangus that escapes and has already been sent to the salebarn?
Good question Beefy.

Beefy":2eoqp25s said:

That's simple - Don't buy that Brangus at the sale because when it escaped, it may have ran thru a herd of Herfords with pinkeye and caught something. :roll:

Our family has been breeding around 300 black angus cows since the late 40's. Not one pink eye through the years. If conditions have something to do with it ???? We run on shortgrass, no trees-bald prairie, land carrying capacity roughly 90 pair on 5 sections for 5 to 6 mths depending on seasonal conditions. Cows are not wintered on bunks, fed on the ground with baled greenfeed and dryland hay with full time access to grain chaff. Perhaps field concentration is a factor as well as how bad the flies are? Different factors for each program. Have seen herds of different breeds with varying numbers of pink eye. We prefer the angus for a number of reasons and they do work efficiently for us in our region and our program. There are quality cattle in every breed !

The last case of pink-eye I saw in a Hereford was in the sixties. I speak for my area alone. Back then, i think pigment around the eyes was not permited by the regestry. Now it is. However, I was literally SHOCKED by a Hereford newsletter from up north at how MUCH pigment some breeders are going for. I didn't like it, almost a goggle-eyed look...I've seen nothing like that here in Texas. .....Anyway, when you drive through cattle country or go to a sale, where do you think all those white faces, or motley faces come from....Herefords. If Herefords are so aweful, as so many think, why are there so many white faces? And there is something to be said for temperment...I am a woman approaching 50 years of age..... I run this ranch. I can't be having all those crazy breeds hurting me all the time. I got something banged up on me most the time as it is anyway and it's from things other than the cattle! A Cane Brake rattler 4 foot long dang near got me the other day (I won!) I need mellow and I don't need "ear" or "black hide". Some of my cattle have "ear", but I don't particularly desire it. It brings too much agility with it. I don't much care for my neighbor's cattleguard jumpers for instance. My Hereford bull couldn't get over a cattleguard if his life depended on it.

Latest posts