loose calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I have a bunch of new borns and i with a problem with 1, he and his mother are separated from the others, she recieved a vacc. for scours and a booster. The calf got it's clostrum, up and sucking good, lively bright eyed and spunky but scouring i thought it might be milk scours so i gave a scour treatment that made no difference. So i treated with tertra cycline and cocci bolus today is the anything else anyone can think of? He is waterly loose but energetic, lively ,suckling well gets up and stretches and wants to buck and play. I can't figure out why he is so loose?

Do a search for scours. You'll find many remedies. I like to use spectam scour halt liquid, 10cc orally. It's a pig scour product but plugs them up fast.

Are you graining the cow? Sometimes a hot grain ration or excessive grain for the cow will cause the squirts in the calf.

dun

If he wasn't so loose i wouldn't be as concerned. His dam was ivomeced 2 + months ago., not on a hot grain ration more of a good grass/legume hay ration,and yes the cow was vaccinated for scours and boostered. no other calves have had it so i'll keep on watching and see if the tetracycline and cocci tab work. I won't go into panic mode until he stops being so active.

i'm having a calf with the same problem, however i just got him over pnemonia. could the medication he had been on be causing the scours? i dont want to over do the Meds if past meds are whats causeing it?

thanks

If his momma is a heavy milker, that'll cause scours too. We have that "problem" with several of our gals. Give him some time; time will cure it soon enough since he's not really sick just very well fed.

Latest posts