LOOSE BOWELS

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
Ok, i have a question about A year old angus bull . he seems fine, eats, drinks, hangsout with the heifers, alert. all seems normal but he seems to have Diarrhea not always or i don't think he does, I've been keeping my eye on him but i can tell by his tail that he does have diarrhea. What are some causes of that? i've been giving them small ration of corn & sweet feed every other day, and i keep a mineral tub out and he or they enjoy that & a salt block out, other than that they graze & eat hay. anything i need to check or watch for?

Did you just recently add the feed ratio? And, how much are you giving him?

Michele

WELL, I got him about the beginning of November. and I don't think he was on any kinda of feed. I feed 3 heifers & him a little less than 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket. Just to keep them trained up so to speak. the last time i gave them feed was friday. I was waiting to see if that might be the problem. I'll check on him when i get home today. other than that just hay :cowboy:

if he is not use to grain they will get loose when you change feed. what kind of hay, grass or is it high in potien like bermuda or alfalfa they are capable of make them run thin if they aren't use to it. i wouldn't worry about it for a few days unless it gets worse or he looks sick and drawn up.

If you're just seeing it all over his tail and butt and not actaully seeing squirt, it may be that he's just a lazy carpper. Every once in while we'll have a heifer that just won;t raise her tail enough when she craps. Get's it all over her and not knowing better you would think she is scouring.

I put a protein tub out awhile back and was real proud of it untill every single calf got loose stool.Since that was the only thing I had changed, I took it up and everybody got back to normal,in about a week.

Yea could be that he is lazy, But i got my eye on him better now, I'm thinkin now it could be the protein tub i put out Because he really likes that. I'd would be more worried about him but he's the first one to the corral at feeding time and he's always hanging around the other 3 and he eats well. Hes not the fattest of the bunch but he eats. Got him vaccinated and wormed so... i'll let you all know :cowboy:
thanks

RICHARDL":3o8svg49 said:
Yea could be that he is lazy, But i got my eye on him better now, I'm thinkin now it could be the protein tub i put out Because he really likes that. I'd would be more worried about him but he's the first one to the corral at feeding time and he's always hanging around the other 3 and he eats well. Hes not the fattest of the bunch but he eats. Got him vaccinated and wormed so... i'll let you all know :cowboy:
thanks
Is it a mineral tub or a protein tub? If protein, that will cause it too, particularly to the piggys.

Thanks, they are just about done with it any ways. Save me a few coins to. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens there. :cowboy:

Agree with all posts - especially about the protein tubs.

BUT - some cattle are also just plain looser than others. I have a bull on the same feed as all the other that just gets looser. I have a cow on spring grass whose poop looks like green pee.

In these cases I watch their body condition, reproductive record, appetite, demeanor and everything else I manage on the rest of the herd and if it's simply a case of being loose . . . so be it . . . benign neglect.

Different cattle can just be different - people probably are too, we just don't compare and contrast on a daily basis! :eek:

THANKS makes me feel a lot better about it. i was worryed about the lil guy, but he eats well and doesn't looked depressed or anything. So that's why i asked these questions.
:cowboy:

I think I would keep a MINERAL tub out there but not a high protein tub like the one you have used (30% protein?) that is a lot. of protein especially for bull. A good mineral blend wit 5 or 6% protein would get them the minerals often lacking but without the excessive protein. jmho.

What type of grass and stuff do you have in the pasture? Doesn't some clover make cattle get loose bowels? Corrent me if im remembering wrong.

Right now its dead grass, Ha ha. Mainly bermuda with bahia mixed. No clover. So 30% protein to way too much? Hmm I did not know this. i'll reduce on my next on. I'm kinda sold on that being the problem too. I do belive clover & rye will cause it. I have a plan a mix of clover & rye in the pasture next door but i haven't put them on that just yet, Was going to wait till the end of january beginning of Feb. for that. :cowboy:

RICHARDL":1ew3gui8 said:
Right now its dead grass, Ha ha. Mainly bermuda with bahia mixed. No clover. So 30% protein to way too much? Hmm I did not know this. i'll reduce on my next on. I'm kinda sold on that being the problem too. I do belive clover & rye will cause it. I have a plan a mix of clover & rye in the pasture next door but i haven't put them on that just yet, Was going to wait till the end of january beginning of Feb. for that. :cowboy:

Haha my bad there, studying for finals and forgot what time of the year it is. I suppose im about brain dead. I agree with most it could be the protein or maybe he is just lazy. Have you ever consumed more protein than you need? You can really stink up a place that way. Yea I was told once you need to be careful feeding clover square bales because it will give them the runs if thats all they are receiving. I suppose its the protein that does it.

RICHARDL":nisca9vm said:

Haha my bad there, studying for finals and forgot what time of the year it is. I suppose im about brain dead. I agree with most it could be the protein or maybe he is just lazy. Have you ever consumed more protein than you need? You can really stink up a place that way. Yea I was told once you need to be careful feeding clover square bales because it will give them the runs if thats all they are receiving. I suppose its the protein that does it.

Latest posts