Looks like...

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":s52vjvq1 said:
I'll be putting my first bale out tomorrow. It's dry, dry, dry and almost all brown.
Been feeding for a week now and will have to start feeding more where the pasture has played out for another herd on a different place. Very very tempting to start selling pairs off. I have some with young calves.

I fed quite a bit of hay in July and early August. I started putting hay out in a few of the pastures again last week. There have been alot of rains in the area, but they have been hit and miss. We have missed them, but are getting enough dew to keep things slightly green, but not growing. I was lucky enough to be able to rent a few different farms and have moved alot of cattle onto those farms to keep from feeding hay. Hopefully, we will get rain before it is too late to get some pasture growth. I went to 3 cattle auctions this week and will go to a couple of different ones tomorrow. So far, it seems like the take home cow market is quite a bit softer, mostly due to dry weather. Top cows aren't down any, but good quality and lesser are down this week at each auction I was at.

We started feeding hay yesterday. We're dry and in these parts, never more than 2 weeks away from a drought. But, the summer was good. Hope October will bring moisture.

stocky":3lg0fe4x said:
I fed quite a bit of hay in July and early August. I started putting hay out in a few of the pastures again last week. There have been alot of rains in the area, but they have been hit and miss. We have missed them, but are getting enough dew to keep things slightly green, but not growing. I was lucky enough to be able to rent a few different farms and have moved alot of cattle onto those farms to keep from feeding hay. Hopefully, we will get rain before it is too late to get some pasture growth. I went to 3 cattle auctions this week and will go to a couple of different ones tomorrow. So far, it seems like the take home cow market is quite a bit softer, mostly due to dry weather. Top cows aren't down any, but good quality and lesser are down this week at each auction I was at.

We are in the same boat! I just dropped my first round bale today. We have a little grass, but I just inter-seeded some Bar Optima and Orchard two weeks ago, and do not want to run the cows on those fields. So, I hope for some rain or those little seedlings are going to die, and we get no more grass growth thisl fall! I am hoping to be be on hay for a short time, then kick them back out on the stuff that grows. I would put some N down, but no rain makes that difficult!

Not much you can do without rain. I feel for you. We've had more rain than we need. Wish I could share. Sadly I feel like bytching about it but I promised myself after the last drought I'd never bytch about too much rain. I need to be selling some calves but I got plenty of grass and I hate to see it go unused.

Kinda the same way here Jo.
Still lush and green here (we got 5 1/2 inches a week and 1/2 ago) and it's messing up my ryegrass schedule. Too tall to broadcast into but I sure hate to mow it down and too much of it for the cows to eat down short. no--I can't bale it.
First year I've ever had this problem.

They are calling for rain tomorrow through Monday I think. Its really messing me up and I do so much want to bytch but I remember all to well the sound of the crunch of dead grass under my feet to complain. I'll just deal with it and make arrangements. That's the bad thing about a drought. There is just nothing you can do. You are helpless unless you have a big check book.

I bought hay like I was going to have to start feeding it in August again, so there might be a couple extra bales left over. All I can hope for is some rain to keep what grass is left to green up. Only .26" for the month.

its getting dry here as well.the cows still have grass right now.but it sure would be nice to get some rain.slick you could put out protine tubbs to keep your cows in good shape along with hay.

bigbull338":1q3aoibq said:
its getting dry here as well.the cows still have grass right now.but it sure would be nice to get some rain.slick you could put out protine tubbs to keep your cows in good shape along with hay.

I keep QLF liquid feed out year around, BB. I started feeding hay in August last year then had some rain in September that greened things up for a while. If we get some rain here pretty quick it'll do the same thing and I can get a little reprieve. When my girls saw me dumping the hay they ran from the back side of the pasture to get at it. I think they love me again. :lol:

skyhightree1":21awl0vu said:
I was feeding hay in june and july and august and september the bottom fell out.
We started then too, got an inch of rain the beginning of this mnth so the cows are back out on pasture and hay fields as long as they hold up. Without any more rain, probably another couple of weeks. Then it will be back to hay again.

slick4591":2wzsw21k said:
I'll be putting my first bale out tomorrow. It's dry, dry, dry and almost all brown.

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost track, but we had at least 7 or 8 inches this month, and weren't really hurting before that. On the bright side, if you need it there's plenty of hay available in other parts of the state (not like 2011).

Rafter S":lj5vkpgm said:
slick4591":lj5vkpgm said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I lost track, but we had at least 7 or 8 inches this month, and weren't really hurting before that. On the bright side, if you need it there's plenty of hay available in other parts of the state (not like 2011).

Thanks, but there's plenty around here because lots of folks got three cuttings, although the last one wasn't great. You guys down your way got lots more rain than we did as ours came mostly in some isolated showers. I'm .26" for the month and those on the west side of the county have 4-6" in some cases.

Latest posts