looks like Tx may get rid of their private vehicle safety inspections

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":23xsto9l said:
State Senate passed the bill today by a pretty wide margin. Still has to go thru the house and be signed by the governor.
Doesn't apply to commercial vehicles.

Doesn't really bother me one way or another, but it's a pita just to have to get one inspected.

http://jalopnik.com/texas-might-ditch-i ... 1794969567

Man what a great start to the weekend . I hope the rest is the good.

Not required in Kentucky. However, if you are stopped or there is a roadside vehicle inspection, you may be cited for unsafe vehicle.

True Grit Farms":1zc9acrd said:
The bureaucrats will have to find something else to tax.

I am watching this POTUS struggle with his fiscal promises. He is going to be served a dose of reality. The rational Senate Republicans see that huge tax cuts and deficit reduction does not make good bed fellows.

I'll be happy as long as he keeps fighting for US. Taxes are the worst, no one wants wants to pay taxes, and no one wants to do without. Only the highly intelligent folks with free phones think you get something for nothing.

True Grit Farms":1pxg7zal said:
I'll be happy as long as he keeps fighting for US. Taxes are the worst, no one wants wants to pay taxes, and no one wants to do without. Only the highly intelligent folks with free phones think you get something for nothing.

I think his intentions are good.

Problem: the US has structural economic issues. Too complex to discuss on a forum.

First of all follow the money. The state charges about $25 for the inspection not counting the issuer's fee which is separate, paid at the time of inspection. At least 10 million registered vehicles.....follow the money, that's $250 M they are going to send the way of the wind? On governor's desk currently for his signature. He's a conservative Republican.....who knows if he'll sign it.

The hidden part of the law states that emission testing counties, like mine, will continue to have the emissions test. So big deal. What's new. That's all they worry about now since the machine is hooked into the state somehow with active feedback during the test. I guess that beats diddling with the headlights like they used to do to justify their fee. Funny I don't recall the last time I had a VI and saw somebody diddle with them. Haven't seen a testing machine now that I think about it. (Being sarcastic, yes they checked the brakes and lights and fluids and all that.)

Scary the gubment is doing something logical. The article suggests these "silent killers" as ball joints, tie-rods and rusty brake lines... I have never seen these inspected. All they do here is check brake function, lights and horn.

I hope that is in the cards for Missouri.

It's a huge pain, the small mechanics in my area are not good about keeping stickers in, keeping their license renewed, or abiding by their hours. Many times I have to go 25+ miles and wait an hour before they'll even pull it around.

If it weren't for the silly inspections, license renewal would be a 5 minute affair online.

I've never had a shop look at suspension or brake lines, they just check the lights and windshield more than anything.

SteppedInIt":1bz344hy said:
Scary the gubment is doing something logical. The article suggests these "silent killers" as ball joints, tie-rods and rusty brake lines... I have never seen these inspected. All they do here is check brake function, lights and horn.

I thought that was funny also.

It's not surprising the inspection is a joke.

It seems they have regressed slowly over the decades.

For over a decade now, all I've ever seen them do is drive the vehicle around the block, pull in to the garage and turn the lights on, watch in the wall mounted mirrors to see if the rear lights worked and blew the horn one time. I do remember one time a couple years ago, one inspection place pressure tested my gas cap. (no emissions testing here in my county)

20 years ago, out in San Angelo, they would look under the hood at the engine to see if the hoses for the emissions were still there and stick a mirror underneath to see if the catalytic converter was still there. If you had a check engine light on, they wouldn't pass it since check engine on most cars at the time was solely emission problems related.

30 years ago in Pensacola Fla and in Memphis Tn, they drove over a set of pads in the inspection bay and threw on the brakes to check how well each wheel stopped, did the headlight alignment check, checked each tire for wear, and looked the exhaust system over for leaks. The smallest ding or crack in the windshield failed ya, didn't matter if it was in the driver's field of vision or not.

It's odd about the revenue thing. When Tx went to no paper sticker a couple years ago, the cost at the inspection stations went down, but on the registration renewal receipt, I see there is a new charge now that says something about inspection. Instead of paying the full price at the inspection station, he now gets a smaller amount and the county registration office collects what amounts to whatever the govt would have lost.

On the surface, it seems like a good thing. I have watched oklahoma and arkansas do it , and I will tell you , it's a mistake. Misaligned headlights , no brake lights , and seemingly no turn signals are a real problem . At least once a year these things had to be right or at least jog the owners memory as to what the lever is for.

snoopdog":hmkec811 said:
On the surface, it seems like a good thing. I have watched oklahoma and arkansas do it , and I will tell you , it's a mistake. Misaligned headlights , no brake lights , and seemingly no turn signals are a real problem . At least once a year these things had to be right or at least jog the owners memory as to what the lever is for.

I don't think they would catch half the
meth heads around here cause they get downed for expired inspection.

Caustic Burno":1qpe85yu said:
snoopdog":1qpe85yu said:

I don't think they would catch half the
meth heads around here cause they get downed for expired inspection.

You would think as much as Meth head like tinkering with cars they'd have all their vehicles in tip top shape. :lol:

greybeard":3o57fi46 said:
one inspection place pressure tested my gas cap. (no emissions testing here in my county)

20 years ago, out in San Angelo, they would look under the hood at the engine to see if the hoses for the emissions were still there and stick a mirror underneath to see if the catalytic converter was still there. If you had a check engine light on, they wouldn't pass it since check engine on most cars at the time was solely emission problems related.

The smallest ding or crack in the windshield failed ya, didn't matter if it was in the driver's field of vision or not.

It's odd about the revenue thing. When Tx went to no paper sticker a couple years ago, the cost at the inspection stations went down, but on the registration renewal receipt, I see there is a new charge now that says something about inspection. Instead of paying the full price at the inspection station, he now gets a smaller amount and the county registration office collects what amounts to whatever the govt would have lost.

I had one place do the gas cap thing. I was where I could see the inspector and saw him yank it off the truck and fool with it. Next thing the shop manager comes up to me and says I need a new cap as mine failed the test. He just happened to be selling them for 10 bucks.......thief!

On the 20 years ago thing, I distinctly remember that. Woe be it if you had something removed trying to get your engine to run so that you could trust it to get you from here to there. That GM 500# catalytic converter was the biggest piece of crap.......sure glad they went to the new ones that are part of the exhaust pipe, tiny and light, one in each manifold pipe. Yes sir, nice addition.

On the other states and windshield, you do know that TX. doesn't say about the glass itself but you have to have perfect wiper blades! Figure that one.

I do like only having one sticker now that you install. Seems the pasters (pasters, not pastors aka religious folks) never could get them on straight and here you had a pristeen truck you just paid big bucks for a quality machine and you had this stupid sticker cockeyed right where you had to see it every time you drove or looked at your truck from the front.

Vehicle inspections are silly. If all is good the day of inspection you get a sticker. If all ain't good the next day you get a ticket. Who knows when a headlight etc is gonna fail?
All in all, the inspection "tax" ain't too bad. It's the property tax in Texas that is killing us!!!Taxes are a necessary evil but property taxes are just plain evil!!!

Latest posts