Looking to raise a few cows...

Help Support CattleToday:

Silence

Reaction score
I'm looking to raise a very small number of cows on a farm of about 75 acres in central Kentucky. I'm only interested in keeping three or four meat cows for personal use but I would like to be able to breed a new calf each year for harvest instead of buying a new one.

So basically, how much land should I have fenced off for these animals? Would they need to be herded into an indoor shed during bad weather or at night? Would I have to supplement their grazing during the summer months? I think the pasture on my property is pretty good, we keep horses on it, but I know very little about cows. How much would it cost to feed four cows, on average, and what would maximum cost be if I supplemented their feed year-round? Can cattle be pastured with horses, sheep, or goats?

What type of cattle would you suggest for the best meat, and how would you go about processing it? Would it be possible for me to do this at home, or would it be more cost-effective to send the meat to a butcher? Would one cow be enough to supply a family of four for a year?

Anything else you think is important would be greatly appreciated! Thank you ^^

Your location would be a good start, then we can get an idea of what kind of stocking rate you have to work with should you put your cows on pasture (which is much more cost effective than keeping them confined to a drylot year-round). It'll also tell us how much land can be allocated for grazing for just a few head. They can be grazed with sheep/goats, I don't recommend with horses because the horses can pick on them a bit..

Beef cattle are tough critters, they don't need to be herded into a barn or indoor shed when bad weather's around. They usually are pretty smart in being able to go seek shelter during a storm, and don't need to rely on a human to take them to one for them. They also don't need to be "put away" at night either.

Supplement should only be used when necessary: if your cows are losing weight on pasture, or they're not producing enough milk for their calves, then supplementing is fine to use. You should, though, let them have access to loose salt-mineral (or a mineral block, though most here prefer the loose form).

There are many breeds of beef cattle that can be said to have the "best" meat, and you'll get a whole pile of responses as to which is best: Angus, Red Poll, Galloway, Hereford, Shorthorn, to name a few. Go with what qualities you want in your herd, not what kind of breed you want.

If you don't know how to slaughter/butcher or don't feel comfortable doing it, get it done by a local butcher.

:welcome:

I am a little north of you, but we should be fairly similar on weather, costs and stocking rates.

I figure about 3 acres per cow/calf pair. So for 4 you need 12 acres. That is cleared pasture - land with good grass. If you wanted to do rotational grazing, you could probably get 12 acres to carry 4 pair from March to January and maybe even all year if you worked at it. I would start out with the assumption you will need to feed hay from November to April until you get a feel for it. You shouldn't need to supplement them with grain if you have good pasture and hay. Most people supplement with grain to keep the animals gentle, not so much because they need it.

In this area, cows do not need a shelter. However, it is never a bad idea for them to have a place to get out of the weather. It doesn't need to be much.

As far as cost goes, you will need to figure about 24 large round bales of hay per year for the cows. You can get decent hay most years for around $35 a bale so you would be looking at $840 for hay. You will need to have mineral for them, probably a bag a month at $20 per bag would be another $240. You will also need some vaccinations. There are a lot of other smaller expenses (that can get a lot bigger). Fencing, handling facilities, etc.

It sounds like you plan to finish your beef. Depending on the kind of finish you want, it will add up. Grain finishing is the most common. Others on here can give you more exact numbers, but I would figure around $400 per head for grain to finish.

Butchering a beef is a big job. If you have experience with it, it isn't bad. If you have never done it or seen it done, I would not attempt it. Have a butcher do the first few and show you how it is done. They are heavy!

:welcome:
Looks like your questions have been already answered. You will find some good advice on this forum.

Starting out you really need some basics, regardless of how many head you have:

- fences
- water
- handling facility (corral or some way of safely getting them together and into single file for the vet or loading)

I suggest you read a number of different books on cattle before you start.

Welcome.

Jim