Looking for suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

jwhisperj

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I know it has been a long time since I wrote but I haven't had much going on, all has been quiet around here so I have just been reading.

Well I was hoping I could get some advise for feeding my steer. (He and the heifer are Holsteins) He will be a year in jan and I have been feeding him what we call Ranger 20n I would read the ingredients but I tossed the bags. (i can put them up next time I get feed) They are also getting free choice grass hay and are on about ten acres oh and mineral salt. My question is I am going through this feed very quickly ( which is to be expected) and was hoping you seasoned ranchers could recommend some other types of feed. Is it possible to buy round bales of silage in Montana? where would I go to find out? I had him on grain but the price went up considerably. I unfortunately don't even know what is available to choose from and when I asked at the feed store the guy just said that most folks buy the ranger 20n. So I did, But now need to buy it a couple pallets at a time unless there is a better way? Thanks again for all the great articals and advise you all give so willingly.
jwj

You can just about bet if it comes all bagged up and ready to use that you are going to pay a premium for that convenience and ease of use . Around here bulk feed tanks are a dime a dozen, and I think that would be your next step . If you have a way to hold 2 or 3 tons of feed then you can get a mix at a real feed mill, for a lot less .

Larry

thanks Larry,

What kind of holding tanks are you talking about? And if I got one how to I get the feed home? Thanks!

These are cone bottomed tanks, like you see on the end of hog or chicken buildings . Then you could have your feed delivered by a feed mill . In our case we use a grinder mixer to process feed and put it in these tanks .

Larry

Or even a 2000lb tote would be a heck of a lot cheaper than bags..You could put a couple on a flat bed or one in the back of a pick up. Keep it in a building like a machine shed and just grab as much as you need per feeding.. A lot cheaper than buying a "feed tank".

hillsdown":2jnck52o said:
Or even a 2000lb tote would be a heck of a lot cheaper than bags..You could put a couple on a flat bed or one in the back of a pick up. Keep it in a building like a machine shed and just grab as much as you need per feeding.. A lot cheaper than buying a "feed tank".

For two animals the above is real good advice - if you have no shed for it, put it on the ground or a pallet and place a tarp over it.

Bez+

Bez+":jpetpt2r said:

For two animals the above is real good advice - if you have no shed for it, put it on the ground or a pallet and place a tarp over it.

Bez+

What do you do to keep rodents from chewing holes in the bottom of the totes?

Round my part of the world I can throw a full feed bag on the ground in the farm yard and have nothing chew on it for at least a month and often no holes after a couple of months or more.

I never worry about rodents - never a problem.

I suspect will be doubted - but it is true

Too many cats I suppose

Bez+

Bez+":31cghbts said:
hillsdown":31cghbts said:

Bez+

Yes, but you'd still have to have some sort of equipment to unload it. If no heavy equipment (tractor with front end loader) is available, a chain hoist would do.

Thanks everyone!
I am feeding free choice hay , I would say just under 50 lbs of hay a day and tenish acres, they are only getting about a five gallon bucket of ranger 20n once a day, I want to increase the feed soon. They both are looking healthy not fat but not slim either. Is there a technical
name for these totes so I can look them up? Where would I pick one up? And what type of feed do you recommend? How about oats? Or something like that?

cypressfarms":2lrf4cht said:
Bez+":2lrf4cht said:
hillsdown":2lrf4cht said:

Bez+

Yes, but you'd still have to have some sort of equipment to unload it. If no heavy equipment (tractor with front end loader) is available, a chain hoist would do.

Or you can do what I did as a young guy when I was first starting out. Tie it to a tree and drive away - it slides right out the back on to the ground - hence my "put a tarp over it" comment.

I did not always have the equipment I have today and found I had to make do - so I did.

Bez+

jwhisperj":341lg1t7 said:
We have a tractor and the facilities just not the know how.

Call your local feed mill and tell them what you are looking for,,ie steam rolled barley, or calf starter ration etc. Then tell them you want a tote as that is what they are called. Fill it up you will get probably 1800lbs when full. You can put one in the back of your pick up (if I remember correctly you have a 1 ton or 3/4 ton). Use tie downs and haul it home. Put a chain through the loops and lift to where you want it. Or put a few on a flat deck as you usually get a cheaper price on how much you buy and haul home the same way with tie downs and lift off the trailer with chains and a loader.

I put mine in a machine shed on pallets so it is off the ground and like Bez rodents do not chew through the tote, but occationaly a mouse will get in the feed bag, but the Kit Cat checks a few times a day and gets them.

When it comes time to finish your steer you will need to separate them as the heifer should not have as much grain, for now feed them good hay ,I would do it free choice, and you can easily give them 5-7 lbs a day of grain and they should do well.

jwhisperj":1vd3xy2f said:

You may want to call around as well to get various prices. My local feed store charges a little over $200 for a tote (200 pounds) of "stocker grower", which is high, but they deliver for free. I could save a good bit by driving the 50 miles with my trailer, but never seem to have the time or want to buy three sacks at once (quantity discount). Last winter I wound up supplementing the cows with feed. It was costly to say the least.

Thanks so much you guys! I really appreciate it, sure hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

cypressfarms":1dx6z2h4 said:
jwhisperj":1dx6z2h4 said:

You may want to call around as well to get various prices. My local feed store charges a little over $200 for a tote (200 pounds) of "stocker grower", which is high, but they deliver for free. I could save a good bit by driving the 50 miles with my trailer, but never seem to have the time or want to buy three sacks at once (quantity discount). Last winter I wound up supplementing the cows with feed. It was costly to say the least.

Wow, and I thought my feed was expensive! I can get a 1000 lb tote (usually a little more) of custom mixed goat feed for a little over $200 here. No delivery, but I'm only about 5 miles from town so it isn't a big deal.

cypressfarms":2uxncpjd said:

The hoist and the totes is certainly clever. I have filled up a duallie bed with whole corn or whole cottonseed and just emptied it with a shovel and a 5 gallon bucket before (many times actually). You just sweep the bed when you are done.

Latest posts