Looking for some guidance. Best way to get started?

Help Support CattleToday:

amishnightmare

Reaction score
I currently live in NW Arkansas. I am 24 years old, married and have 2 boys. Farming is my passion and I want to raise my family around a farm. Here is the problem...I currently live on the outskirts of a small town, i have nobody in my family that would let me use any of there land to try to get started, i have NO land, and everyone around here thinks there land is producing gold or something because they list it for a stupid amount. I have had a couple old timers recommend leasing a little piece of land and buy a bull and a few cows and build up a herd. Selling some cows and maybe some calves here and there. Our small town is one of those small towns where farming is popular but most of the land is owned by a couple different wealthy people that "sqeeks" when he walks and provides NO help to people who are trying to start. I might be able to find a lease somewhere but how would you start? Would you buy a bull and few cows? I have cattle knowledge. I grew up working on beef, diary, and chicken farms. But i am just trying to find the "BEST" way to get started. I would like to try to bread the tiger stripe calves, cross between and Hereford and Brahman but i was told that where we are located it could possibly get to cold sometimes up here and they wouldn't feel out like they would in the south. So after hearing that from a couple different people, i decided that i may want to just run purebred Herefords? what do yall think?

Where you at in nw ar? I hear a lot of what you are finding out, and it's hard to know what to do sometimes. I think Herefords are great.

Hereford bull on straight bred black cows would yield a black baldy calf. In the Southeast that is almost gold. Also blackies won't have as much pinkeye. Many herefords are terrible with pinkeye, but with only a bull you shouldn't have much trouble with it. You might also be surprised how good Tigerstripes would do or put the brahama bull on good black cows too! Some ground just is not good for rowcrops and someone may want to keep pasture they already have so keep looking.
Phil

I say Hereford cows because you can buy good one's cheaper than good black cows, and you can't go wrong useing a angus, Charolais, brangus or even a gelbvieh bull on them.

denvermartinfarms":21ca1fb5 said:
Where you at in nw ar? I hear a lot of what you are finding out, and it's hard to know what to do sometimes. I think Herefords are great.

I am about 30 minuets away from Fayetteville Arkansas.

denvermartinfarms":g4der1o0 said:
I say Hereford cows because you can buy good one's cheaper than good black cows, and you can't go wrong useing a angus, Charolais, brangus or even a gelbvieh bull on them.
I also agree with herefords being good cows. Also with the combination of bulls. The only thing, growing up with herefords was dealing with pink eye or other issues that appear to be pink eye. With proper precautions pink eye can be minimized, but for a younger cattleman starting out it can be a challenge. Having one hereford bull with all black cows would likely have less pink eye to deal with than having a black bull with all hereford cows. Both combinations are great in the South. As far north as he is, located in AR, the ear cattle might not be a good idea.
Phil

amishnightmare":12eh8msh said:
denvermartinfarms":12eh8msh said:

How close to Fayetteville do you need to find land? And 30 minuets wich direction? I'm not trying to get directions to your house, just have an idea on some land that could be a little cheaper, if it's not to far for you.

amishnightmare":2j6j21sx said:
Our small town is one of those small towns where farming is popular but most of the land is owned by a couple different wealthy people that "sqeeks" when he walks and provides NO help to people who are trying to start.

Not trying to be a pain, but why is the "squeaker" expected to provide help? Based on the rest of the text, I assume you want this person to give you a cheaper than market bearing price on land and maybe more?

Have you considered working for a larger ranch in your area? I could easily see a situation where your employer might make some acreage available to you for your own use and possibly help you obtain some cattle of your own to occupy it - especially after you've proven a good hand for them. This is a much more common situation than some random, unaffiliated land owner cutting you a break on rents to help you start out.

RScott":30f5bdw8 said:
amishnightmare":30f5bdw8 said:
Our small town is one of those small towns where farming is popular but most of the land is owned by a couple different wealthy people that "sqeeks" when he walks and provides NO help to people who are trying to start.

Not trying to be a pain, but why is the "squeaker" expected to provide help? Based on the rest of the text, I assume you want this person to give you a cheaper than market bearing price on land and maybe more?

Have you considered working for a larger ranch in your area? I could easily see a situation where your employer might make some acreage available to you for your own use and possibly help you obtain some cattle of your own to occupy it - especially after you've proven a good hand for them. This is a much more common situation than some random, unaffiliated land owner cutting you a break on rents to help you start out.

I am not seeking help from the individual. He owns about half of the land around here and has some cattle on it. Mostly he lists it for sale. I checked with him and he listed a 30 ac tract for $7,700 an acre. I asked if he would lease it and told him i was trying to get started and he said, "I don't know what to tell you. I'll sell it but won't lease it". So not that i could even get a loan for over $250k but if i could, then buy cows on top of that, and feed them on top of that, I do not think that would to smart to do for a "start". Should have worded the "speek" a little better :D. There are no ranches around here nor are there any ranches that i know of that are within 3 hrs of where i live. I considered moving to a ranch but not now. With a wife and 2 kids and moving away from family. I would love to be a ranch hand but there is nothing remotely close.

denvermartinfarms":1dxxd3oa said:
amishnightmare":1dxxd3oa said:
denvermartinfarms":1dxxd3oa said:

How close to Fayetteville do you need to find land? And 30 minuets wich direction? I'm not trying to get directions to your house, just have an idea on some land that could be a little cheaper, if it's not to far for you.
I am 30 minuets west of fayetteville. I am looking really to lease not buy. I can't afford to buy right now.

amishnightmare":xcoyfdb3 said:
RScott":xcoyfdb3 said:
amishnightmare":xcoyfdb3 said:

I am not seeking help from the individual. He owns about half of the land around here and has some cattle on it. Mostly he lists it for sale. I checked with him and he listed a 30 ac tract for $7,700 an acre. I asked if he would lease it and told him i was trying to get started and he said, "I don't know what to tell you. I'll sell it but won't lease it". So not that i could even get a loan for over $250k but if i could, then buy cows on top of that, and feed them on top of that, I do not think that would to smart to do for a "start". Should have worded the "speek" a little better :D. There are no ranches around here nor are there any ranches that i know of that are within 3 hrs of where i live. I considered moving to a ranch but not now. With a wife and 2 kids and moving away from family. I would love to be a ranch hand but there is nothing remotely close.

When I said get a job on a nearby ranch, I didn't necessarily mean a big ten plus thousand acre operation out west, in Texas, or the upper plains. I meant a good sized operation near where you live. Now that you've said you're west of Fayetteville, I can assure you around Siloam and across into Oklahoma there are plenty of larger operations (several hundred head++, 1000ish acres) in the area that have full time ranch/farm hands working for and/or along side the owners. I know, because I have one and know several others that do too. Ask around Powell's or the Siloam or Decatur sale barns to see if they know of anyone looking for an experienced hand. I also know several fellows who take care of smaller herds for folks, doubling up with more than one gig, and do some of their own too. It may not be what you're exactly looking for, but may be a means to getting started. Good luck!

Well, it is gonna be hard if there is no way for you to own your own land. But talk to everyone you can, and maybe something will come up.

Latest posts