Looking for Some Answers...

Help Support CattleToday:

My daughter teaches 3rd grade. Recently one of her students asked a fellow student to murder him...so he could join his grandfather in heaven...and yesterday the poor child snapped in the classroom and had to be removed...after my daughter took scissors away from him. Docs say it's bi-polar...but now they're looking at a possible brain tumor.

Poor kid's mother is bipolar and is on probation for some legal something. Poor kids don't have a chance in hades...and the teachers that love them and try so very hard...God love all of them.

Alice

Lots of great things been been said in this forum. I was rasied in very rural part of north Arkansas we always had chores and responsabiltys. We always had a big kitchen garden, a tater patch and peanuts watermelons. To cut to the chase Grandpa always said long rows with dull hoes the ones with a handle for working in the garden kept us out of trouble. To many kids today have parents who need long rows with dull hoes with a handel, and Grandpa to make sure they get it done. Most of the kids Just need someone to show them whats gotta be done. But sometimes its up to the kid to keep there mind right. Maybe good Lord willing things will get better.

Red Bull Breeder":1xum3746 said:
Lots of great things been been said in this forum. I was rasied in very rural part of north Arkansas we always had chores and responsabiltys. We always had a big kitchen garden, a tater patch and peanuts watermelons. To cut to the chase Grandpa always said long rows with dull hoes the ones with a handle for working in the garden kept us out of trouble. To many kids today have parents who need long rows with dull hoes with a handel, and Grandpa to make sure they get it done. Most of the kids Just need someone to show them whats gotta be done. But sometimes its up to the kid to keep there mind right. Maybe good Lord willing things will get better.

Maybe good Lord willing things will get better.

Definitely...gotta agree with that...

Alice

Red Bull Breeder":1j31wjti said:
Lots of great things been been said in this forum.

"Little Johnny started it!!" :lol: (Actually it was Crowder)

Red Bull Breeder":1j31wjti said:
Maybe good Lord willing things will get better.

I am counting on it. Many things are absolutely out of our hands. That is a hard thing to accept as a parent. Hard for me to accept anyway.

Crowder,
I understand your dismay at the conditions of the lives of today's children. However, you are behind the times. My wife and I both teach school. She is a third grade teacher and I teach high school agriscience. Today's kids have different names than their parents. The girls get pregnant out of wedlock and then come back to school to parade their babies around like they have done something great. Old timers in town are always saying that I ought to get those "ag boys" to build this or build that, or repair a piece of equipment. Fact is, those "ag boys" are too lazy and lack the knowledge because they have never been made to work. By the time I get them in high school, the mold has been cast, and many of them, (girls, too) have no work ethic, no morals, and are looking for a government handout. The fault is not all theirs of course, because somewhere along the line, people started depending on the government to raise their kids, they decided to have kids without getting married, drugs became a form of entertainment, they decided to live in the here and now and their kids are following suit. Of course, there are students that come from stable middle class homes that have been given cars, clothes, cell phones, TV's, Ipods, and the list goes on. These kids grow up believing that they are owed something. My pet peeve is laziness and this stems from the parents lack of motivation. When kids in an ag class ask how much are they going to get paid to do a job, or complain about child labor laws when they're told to sweep the shop, it makes me irate. Of course, I've got thick hide and have no discipline problems, because as I tell my students, I'm tougher and meaner than they are. To be fair though, most of our kids are good, but the percentage of sorry kids is on the rise and mom and dad are to blame. No Child Left Behind has also hindered the development of responsible behavior since each child has to be given every opportunity to succeed. Sounds good, doesn't it? But the fact of the matter is, that the advanced students are held back while every opportunity is given for the slower kids to catch up. Remediation is made available to kids who have to attend, but don't want it. Why we can't set a standard and require kids to meet it, or else they fail is beyond me. In closing, what I'm trying to say is that even the education system perpetuates the problem to a certain extent by lowering standards, rewarding kids for good grades and good behavior, and not being tough enough in disciplinary measures. The reward for good grades should be the grade itself. Good behavior should be rewarded by the fact that the kid didn't have to receive discipline. There are excellent young people out there, but many problems exist today that weren't prevalent when I started teaching 22 years ago.

No Child Left Behind has also hindered the development of responsible behavior since each child has to be given every opportunity to succeed. Sounds good, doesn't it? But the fact of the matter is, that the advanced students are held back while every opportunity is given for the slower kids to catch up.

There are excellent young people out there, but many problems exist today that weren't prevalent when I started teaching 22 years ago.

JT, I may not agree with everything you wrote...but I agree with most...especially these. Good post!!!

Alice

JT,
Your response was incredible... Not so much behind the times, on a National scale, but I guess we have been behind the times on a Local scale.We're talking a little Country school. Guess I still feel things should be the way it was when I was a kid, but those days are long gone, and cant be restored to modern day society's accepting all the crap that goes on these days.My Mom and her Sister both were Teachers, as was my Mother In Law. I believe they all retired, right before things really were becoming rough.I guess with yall being Teachers, all can do is your best. I've always thought the profession was way under paid for the task that's at hand.I have never cut my Kids any slack when it came to being lazy and tell them tales of push mowers and doing manual labor. They find it amazing that things were that way when I was a kid, but I think it's taught them a form of respect and pride to get out and help with chores and general work. Hopefully that has been instilled in them that nothing comes easy, or without work.

Somehow we are going to have to stop financing illegitimate behavior. The schools are overwhelmed by the added responsibilities that belong to the parents . Those people know right from wrong they are just too lazy and sorry to work and take proper care of their kids . One thing about it sooner or later we simply will not be able to come up with enough money to make it all work .

Larry