Looking for Santa Gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

Diamond G

Reaction score
I am looking to buy 2 or 3 heifers, or young pure bred Santa Gertrudis cows, Close to East Texas would be good, Thanks in advance for any info

I would love for you to come my way but 5 Oaks is a breeder I can recommend your way. They're in Valley Mills.

Of course we are probably only about 10 hours away if you insist on coming up anyway. :lol:

Visit the Gert website. http://www.santagertrudis.com
There are numerous links there that can help you find cattle. They are having a big sale in Bloomington, TX at the end of the month. Commercial bulls and females sell Oct 26, and the purebreds are Oct 27.
If that doesn't help, send me a PM and I will try and direct you to someone in your area.

Thanks for the information got a SG bull on some black crossbred cows now, he is nice and would like to put some pure bred cows with him. Santas are kinda hard to find around east texas

Darrell Pitchford is a Gert fitter in Athens. He may be able to help you. His number is (903) 677-0664.
On the Santa Gertrudis site, go to forms, then scroll down to membership directory. Page 12 starts the Texas breeders, and since you are close to Louisiana, they are on pages 7 and 8. You know what towns are within your driving range better than I do.

I was trying to direct you to some breeders who were more into practicality rather than show cattle. Granted, show cattle can be easy cattle too. I just think Pitchford will direct you to cattle that cost more than what you would be willing to pay. Remember this, dollars do not always make sense.

5 Oaks is big on feedlot and performance data and I don't think you will terribly wrong if you go with them. Some of their cattle will cost as much as Pitchford I'm sure. Pitchford is just too show driven for my taste.

Again, I don't know where you are but they are about 15 -20 minutes outside Waco.

If you go through 5 Oaks, might I recommend something with some Stormin Norman, or possible Henry background. Of course, these would probably be grand sires of anything you would find today, but we have had success with these lines.

If you go anywhere else, I would avoid: Hustler, Hammer, and Hatchett blood; especially on females. This is all one blood line, just multiple generations of overhyped, coarse boned, sloppy/loose cattle. Or at least that is my opinion.

I can't speak for her, but I think bward would agree with the Hatchett bloodline comment. If I am wrong, I apologize.

I agree with you 100% on the Hatchet bloodline. That is one award winning handsome bull that makes a lot of ugly offspring.

There are so many Gert Breeders in Texas, I can't imagine you having trouble finding any. :D

I wasn't necessarily meaning to buy from Pitchford. I know his stuff can be a little high, but I usually like what I see from him. 5 Oaks is a great place to go for cattle. I have a Gridmaker daughter that I am very pleased with. She is also out of an Adios daughter, which does not hurt either. I just wish I had more like her.

First thanks for the information, I got the Bull from a man in Lufkin he is out of some show calves his son had a few years back. I have tried to buy him but the feller wont sell him, So I just keep him and he is breeding my cows for me.
This is what kinda got me started looking at SG he is realy nice and gentle. I am sure he has background I need to track down being he come from some show stock. I will post some photos if I can figure out how to

Latest posts