Looking for poultry sites

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch":2v5qlruc said:
Anyone know of any good forums for poultry??????
heres 2 chicken forums i use backyard chickens on ezboard anbackyard chickens.there are 2 boards but use the samename.

Check this poultry sites list:

Fresh Eggs Daily
The Poultry Site | Industry News
WATTAgNet | Information on global poultry, pig and animal feed markets
papaak | News, Artilces, Poultry Management
Smallholder
Reddit | Poultry
My Pet Chicken Blog
Chicken Check In | The Cluck
McMurray Hatchery Blog
Cackle Hatchery
Penn State Extension | Latest News - Poultry
News24 | poultry
Backyard Chickens
The Happy Chicken Coop
Agriland | Pig/Poultry
Livestocking
Australian Chicken Meat Federation
USPOULTRY
Zootecnica International
Practical Poultry Tips
Backyard Chickens Blog | A Guide for Raising Day Old Chicks and Ducklings
Canadian Poultry magazine
Bellsouth Poultry Equipment News
Counting My Chickens
St David's Poultry | Latest Poultry News
Denbow | Poultry Industry News
Poultrymed
CreateAction | Poultry Blog
California Poultry Federation
Duncan's Poultry
Mile Four
VAL-CO
Poultry Health Today
James Gibbon
The Poultry Federation
Buttercup Farm Blog
Springfield Poultry | Recipes & Blog
OvertheCounter - Pigs / Poultry
Invisible Farmer Project
Johnayodele's Blog
Sommerlad Poultry
Tranquility Biz
Miller's Chicken Farm
Alpenglow School | The Poultry Journey Blog
Free Range Eggs
Farm Strong Feed Co.
chicken scratch poultry
BEST POULTRY WEBSITE
Pot Pies and Egg Money
SAVA Poultry
Poultry Shrink Bags
Peck & Feather
Cayuta Sun Farm
The Poultry Guy
Skye Chooks
Eggpreneur
Poultrykeeper
Murano Chicken Farm
Bentoli | Poultry
Farmers Weekly | Poultry

Source

Dave said:
13 years..... Just what is the life expectancy of a chicken?
Cornish cross broilers... 42-45 days in commercial houses. They will live up to maybe 2 years but most succumb to leg problems within 6 months due to them growing so fast and heavy.
Layers in commercial houses... usually 2 years then killed as production goes down. Most will start to lay at 20-24 weeks, pullet eggs going to large size within 2 months, then will molt out at about a year, no eggs for approx 2 months, the 2nd year of lay eggs will be bigger, large to x-large and often some jumbos depending on the breed.... then get killed for soup/chicken salad type stuff at the end of that laying cycle.
In the purebred/show chicken world, and those kept in home flocks of all different breeds; the average age is anywhere from 4-8 years. Different breeds have different longevity. Production falls way off after the second or third year. Have had several purebreds live to 8 or more, some laying only a few eggs in the springtime, but the purpose was to get eggs to set to raise more of the bloodline.
Again, pet chickens fare the best but still only about 4-8 years.

The normal age we hope for in the purebreds is 5 yrs being able to still get viable eggs for setting.

Then of course there is the interference of mother natures' predators.....

farmerjan said:
Dave said:
13 years..... Just what is the life expectancy of a chicken?
Cornish cross broilers... 42-45 days in commercial houses. They will live up to maybe 2 years but most succumb to leg problems within 6 months due to them growing so fast and heavy.
Layers in commercial houses... usually 2 years then killed as production goes down. Most will start to lay at 20-24 weeks, pullet eggs going to large size within 2 months, then will molt out at about a year, no eggs for approx 2 months, the 2nd year of lay eggs will be bigger, large to x-large and often some jumbos depending on the breed.... then get killed for soup/chicken salad type stuff at the end of that laying cycle.
In the purebred/show chicken world, and those kept in home flocks of all different breeds; the average age is anywhere from 4-8 years. Different breeds have different longevity. Production falls way off after the second or third year. Have had several purebreds live to 8 or more, some laying only a few eggs in the springtime, but the purpose was to get eggs to set to raise more of the bloodline.
Again, pet chickens fare the best but still only about 4-8 years.

It was a joke Jan, not a serious question. i have worked in and/or with the poultry industry a lot in my life.

As for old laying hens going to chicken soup. I worked with a layer farm that runs 950,000 layers. When they are done, they gas the entire house, and load them into refrigerator trucks. The birds go to a mink farm where they are ground whole (feathers and all), put into tubes, and fed to the mink. They claimed that there is no market for old laying hens.
The normal age we hope for in the purebreds is 5 yrs being able to still get viable eggs for setting.

Then of course there is the interference of mother natures' predators.....

Sorry, Dave, I didn't realize it was a Rhetorical question....
Interesting about the laying hens and feeding the mink... Guess that is as good an option as any for that number of birds. Here close to many of the towns and cities with greater numbers of ethnic populations, the older FAT laying hens are desired for soup and such at the poultry swaps. But neither is there those kind of numbers.....
I worked on a small layer operation as a teen in Ct.....3-5,000 layers. He hatched all his own chicks and all.

Redgully, God bless that silkie bantam at 20. My son has had several of his standard size Old English Games live into their teens....

farmerjan said:
Interesting about the laying hens and feeding the mink... Guess that is as good an option as any for that number of birds. Here close to many of the towns and cities with greater numbers of ethnic populations, the older FAT laying hens are desired for soup and such at the poultry swaps. But neither is there those kind of numbers.....
I worked on a small layer operation as a teen in Ct.....3-5,000 layers. He hatched all his own chicks and all.

Redgully, God bless that silkie bantam at 20. My son has had several of his standard size Old English Games live into their teens....

I was riding along with a different chicken farmer I was doing some work for one day. We past a sign in front of someone's house that said old laying hens for sale $6.00 each. He said that he had a couple hundred thousand of them he would let go for $5.00 each.

farmerjan said:

Your answer was well worth reading.
I'm new to chooks myself, started with four hens and a roo that I was told were about 4 - 5 years old. Keen to get into a couple more breeds and higher numbers but still don't have their chook palace built, they had a mobile tractor, then brought into a shed for winter. I've been surprised how well they were laying for that age, though they all seem to have stopped now.

This is an old discussion. I have two 12 year old Americanas that still lay some eggs, even now when the days are getting shorter. Here is one her name is Nerp. Look at her wrinkly old face and her egg. Its a small deformed egg but heck it's an edible egg.
100_1981.JPG
Nerps egg at age 12.JPG