Looking for Opinions on Breeding this Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

LRAF

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on what sire to use to breed this heifer. She is an Insight out of an Eagle Eye. Epds are as follows. BW 4.1 WW52 YW 94 M27. Looking to keep some performance but also to have another one to show but a live calf is a must too. She will be bred this fall. I have an idea on a sire but would like some input from others and their ideas. I will upload a pic if I can figure it out.

I really like your heifer! She definately has all the right pieces. For first calf, go calving ease. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who can chime in with specific ideas in that aspect. For second calf though, check out Colburn Primo 5153. I think he would add some serious style to the mix, and his full sisters are winning big time all over this year. :2cents:

Thanks. We like her. We are just starting to feed her hard and going to put her under fans soon. She is a Sept 15 heifer.

If you're going strictly for a show animal, you might consider Silveiras Style 9303. He is well proven with show winners throughout the country, particularly in the west, and his offspring have a lot of "style". His CED is around +12, which is very good for a bull used to produce show quality calves. But the rest of his EPDs aren't particularly good. K Bar D Joe Canada also has been used with some success in the show ring, not sure of his calving ease EPDs.

*disclaimer*
I don't give a rat's behind about show rings - so the wrong guy to ask is me... with that being said my :2cents:
you could try the female sexed semen $50 available on SCC First-N-Goal -14 ced 6.6 bw
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=271

Yes Silveiras Style is beloved in show circles and everything I hate about showing.
top 1% mh top 2% mw and bottom 5% for 6 important traits sc docility hp cw $W and $B
top 1% mh and 2% mw with bottom 5% cw tells me they are very slow growing,
but what does that matter when someone has an incentive to register to whatever birth date is most desirable.

I would think hard about using Connealy Capitalist 12 ced -.2 bw 1.15 sc with top 5% hp and top 10% $W
even though the "Style" daughter would stand ahead of a Capitalist daughter in the show ring.

p.s. you've got a good looking heifer there....but you already know that :)
p.s.s. I have always liked the look of the SAV Pioneer offspring that I've seen 3 ced 1.6 bw
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=365
Barstow Bankroll is a Cash x Car Efficent x CC & 7 - I haven't seen any calves, but the pedigree is interesting

I like the pioneer cattle too. I will not breed to a bull that has no performance, I would rather have some grow than all show. We aren't just show jocks, yet we do enjoy it. Our other heifer that we are gonna show is an MAR Innovation x KCF Bennet Total. I like the idea of capitalist

Son of Butch":2nbr1g18 said:
*disclaimer*
I don't give a rat's behind about show rings - so the wrong guy to ask is me... with that being said my :2cents:
you could try the female sexed semen $50 available on SCC First-N-Goal -14 ced 6.6 bw
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=271

Yes Silveiras Style is beloved in show circles and everything I hate about showing.
top 1% mh top 2% mw and bottom 5% for 6 important traits sc docility hp cw $W and $B
top 1% mh and 2% mw with bottom 5% cw tells me they are very slow growing,
but what does that matter when someone has an incentive to register to whatever birth date is most desirable.

I would think hard about using Connealy Capitalist 12 ced -.2 bw 1.15 sc with top 5% hp and top 10% $W
even though the "Style" daughter would stand ahead of a Capitalist daughter in the show ring.

p.s. you've got a good looking heifer there....but you already know that :)
p.s.s. I have always liked the look of the SAV Pioneer offspring that I've seen 3 ced 1.6 bw
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=365
Barstow Bankroll is a Cash x Car Efficent x CC & 7 - I haven't seen any calves, but the pedigree is interesting
Sob I was looking at the catalog the other day and seen that terrible ced doc ect why in the world wouldn't you want doc? Nice heifer by the way!

Frieghttrain, why wouldn't you want a good Doc score on an animal that's going to be handled all the time?... seems to me that if they're naturally friendly, cool, calm and collected it would make your life a whole lot easier.. Perhaps you wouldn't need the best docility score, but picking the bottom 5% doesn't sound wise... Same goes for CED considering she'll be a first calver

Son of Butch
Here is our other heifer we plan on showing. An MAR Innovation x KCF Bennett Total. No show blood here but we like her pretty well.