Looking for ideas.

Help Support CattleToday:

xbred":dyw2xwb0 said:
how is it progressing?
Still working on the damaged metal so it doesn;t matter how I get it off. About 1/3 done with that. I'm working on it like an old man pees, short spurts

1982vett":1injyssx said:
Tytower, a ring shank is a nail that has a grove that "rings" around the nail for gripping. I guess they are much like a cup head except the rings are on from the point to about the head instead of the top of the nail at the head.
(they come in many sized, not just drywall....)

Thanks ,I use them made of stainless for plywood on boats

getting them out is a problem , just pull the head through the steel I would guess then de-nail the timber.

Dun, Did the wind blow it apart or out of the ground? was looking at the endwall on the ground, and the center pole didnt look like it was in the ground very far or did it just snap off?

haase":8no794vt said:
Dun, Did the wind blow it apart or out of the ground? was looking at the endwall on the ground, and the center pole didnt look like it was in the ground very far or did it just snap off?
Yes to both. Some it blew apart some it blew out of the ground and some it snapped the 6x6s right off at the ground The back wall just layed down (after the 6x6s broke).
It seems that the weather folks have decided it wasn;t a tornado since it didn;t touch done but it was a circular wind that passed over. All around this place there was weird damage and it all is laying in different directions.

Angus Cowman":2ce2jfjl said:
plumber_greg":2ce2jfjl said:
Hoof nippers. Seen it done. Drive in the rest of the shank. gs
I have used hoof nioppers before but this spring on the turkey houses I bought we tried it and ruint 2 brand new $60 sets of nippers in less than 30 minutes they used some dang hard nails
I'm using nippers to get under the head and mash the gasket so I can get a good purchase. Pulls the nails slick as a whislte but my hands give out from squeezing the handles together. The nail head up stuff is no problem with the nippers. For the nail head down ones I'm just popping the metal past the heads. Most of the heads down stuff is beyond use. For the good stuff that is hads down I've been able to flip whole sections over so the purlins are on the ground and the heads are up, then it's easy to use the nippers to pull the nails. Next week when they come in to start on the new barn we're going to use his crane to lift the long sections of good stuff and flip it over so I can get to the heads. I'm sorting it into 3 piles, good, not so good and oh crap.

I like screws too, but a $3 box (1 lb) box of roofing nails will fasten a whole lot more metal then 30 (10 cents each) screws.

So far we;ve pulled somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pounds of nails. But I'm just guessing, it's a half of a 5 gallon bucket.

dun":143gpvc2 said:
So far we;ve pulled somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pounds of nails. But I'm just guessing, it's a half of a 5 gallon bucket.

Will you do like my dad and keep'em. Seems like I spent half my life straiting nails and reusing them.

upfrombottom":3henetlv said:
dun":3henetlv said:

Will you do like my dad and keep'em. Seems like I spent half my life straiting nails and reusing them.
The first "paying job" I had as a kid was puling nails from old lumber and straightening the nails. Spent an entire summer, 10 hours a day 6 days a week doing it. I got a used pair of boots as "pay" for the job.

dun":1q1l8n70 said:
upfrombottom":1q1l8n70 said:
dun":1q1l8n70 said:

The first "paying job" I had as a kid was puling nails from old lumber and straightening the nails. Spent an entire summer, 10 hours a day 6 days a week doing it. I got a used pair of boots as "pay" for the job.

We must have worked for s :nod: ome of the same people.

dun":1a9j0v75 said:
I bet you did not realise at the time that that experience would come in handy in later years ;-) .

Me too ...trouble is I´ve still got them oiled up and ready 50 years on and not likely to get them used . Just taking room in my sheds

The best thing I have found for pulling nails from metal I want to reuse is a set of hoof nippers with a slide hammer attached. Weld a rod with threads on one end to one handle of the nippers. Drill a hole in a piece of round stock length ways. Slide it on the rod and double nut it, and you are ready to go. Using the slide hammer gets tiring too, but not as bad as cutting the heads off with the nippers.

Another thought . Use a nail punch or center punch to knock them in a quarter inch which will get them through the steelwith probably a smaller hole, also would un-stick the nail from the timber so it comes out easier

MO_cows":3njcerwz said:
How goes it Dun? Are you salvaging the material for another use, or gonna use it to re-build the barn?
Sold some, selling some, will reuse other of it for other projects. New barn is/will be all metal

Latest posts