Looking for ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Tried this elsewhere as well but have known this community for a long time and looking for your insight.

We're a young operation, bought out our family farm when the grandparents died. We've transitioned more and more into producing seedstock. Selling replacement heifers and bulls by word of mouth has been our growth strategy to now. Everything has been sold private treaty and our return customer rate is nearly 100%. We're very happy with what we've been able to accomplish in a short amount of time. We're half sold out already for this season, really couldn't ask for much better. Just starting to look at what the next steps should be as we continue to grow.

What are your preferred ways of seeing options for new genetic suppliers(print,radio,social media)? What things are the most important to you when starting/maintaining a relationship with a supplier? Any other general advise?

Thanks in advance

I bought my first set off momma cows from Oklahoma off Craigslist believe it or not . Son was working in Arkansas and had a buddy from Oklahoma working with him . He went and looked at the cows for us and told us if we didn't buy them he was . Second set of cows I bought off this site from Gizmom. And I went back last year and bought a bull from her .

Tried this elsewhere as well but have known this community for a long time and looking for your insight.

We're a young operation, bought out our family farm when the grandparents died. We've transitioned more and more into producing seedstock. Selling replacement heifers and bulls by word of mouth has been our growth strategy to now. Everything has been sold private treaty and our return customer rate is nearly 100%. We're very happy with what we've been able to accomplish in a short amount of time. We're half sold out already for this season, really couldn't ask for much better. Just starting to look at what the next steps should be as we continue to grow.

What are your preferred ways of seeing options for new genetic suppliers(print,radio,social media)? What things are the most important to you when starting/maintaining a relationship with a supplier? Any other general advise?

Thanks in advance
What breed?

If you have the skills and know how to drive it, social media such as facebook is very powerfull. I used to participate in an annual bull sale in partnership with another breeder. Andrew was very active on facebook and developed a large following, every activity on farm he did a short video explaining what he was doing no matter how basic. It was surprising how many of his followers bought a bull from him. Unfortunately Andrew had to sell out due to marital problems. I have tried to develop my facebook page but I get lost with it. My marketing strategy for just a small number of bulls I sell, around 10 the last couple of years, is to post out or email a catalogue to people on my mailing list and last year I did a bold add in our rural newspaper from which I got a good response at minimum cost.
I only sell bulls (10 the last couple of years) as yearlings now, born in July, weaned in March, developed with feed over our winter and release them for sale on the 1st Saturday in September. People are welcome to view them before that date but I will not reserve any bull for anyone. If they want the bull of their choice they have to turn up on that date and have a bit of a bidding war with any others that are interested in him. I think this works well for me and the buyers are starting to get trained in my system.

Ken

There is a group, Everything Angus Cattle, on Facebook that is primarily breeders selling their seedstock. It does seem to generate a lot of interest & sales, but as with anything online, it's also a peeing contest among registered breeders.

I prefer private treaty and word of mouth recommendations. I really liked the breeders of our first bulls (generational family operation) until they got so big, they segued into auction only. The next breeder we used sold most of his bulls at the Chisolm Trail Angus Sale, but he also sold private treaty. He was local and we were able to walk through the bulls, learn their history and rely on his recommendations. When he retired, he introduced us to our current breeder (also part of the Chisolm Trail). Another small family operation that also sells private treaty. No website, nothing fancy but great seedstock. He took the time to go through all our previous registrations and he's familiar with our herd (he knows docility is extremely important!) and will recommend bulls that fit & improve our operation. Now, when I need a new bull (or bulls), I just call him in advance, he selects what he feels would be the "perfect fit" and delivers generally a month before breeding season. I literally buy them sight unseen and have yet to be disappointed. BTW one of the first bulls we purchased from him was struck by lightning all of 3 weeks after we got him; hadn't even turned him out & I was devastated. Called him for a replacement, which was delivered that weekend, and he refused to take another check, saying he guarantees his bulls for a year. Clearly, an act of nature had nothing to do with fertility (or lack thereof), but he's the quintessential Good Ol' Boy with a heart of gold.

I hate Facebook with a passion, worst thing to happen to society in my lifetime as best I can tell.

The place we buy the majority of our bulls from has a 1 year unconditional warranty. Hit by a train, lightning, snaps a leg in a chuck hole, you get the idea. Never used it, and hope I don't. Also, their place is very much like ours - no manicured pastures and brand new equipment sitting around. Nice fences, older but well maintained equipment, average pastures and same type of grass I have. You can tell the operation isn't some rich man's pipe dream/tax writeoff. They know cows and how to breed functional ones, plus they're just salt of the earth people. I'm pretty sure you know who I'm referring to, but feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Hope you guys are doing well out in the Flints, need to stop by for a visit again sometime.

There is a group, Everything Angus Cattle, on Facebook that is primarily breeders selling their seedstock. It does seem to generate a lot of interest & sales, but as with anything online, it's also a peeing contest among registered breeders.

I prefer private treaty and word of mouth recommendations. I really liked the breeders of our first bulls (generational family operation) until they got so big, they segued into auction only. The next breeder we used sold most of his bulls at the Chisolm Trail Angus Sale, but he also sold private treaty. He was local and we were able to walk through the bulls, learn their history and rely on his recommendations. When he retired, he introduced us to our current breeder (also part of the Chisolm Trail). Another small family operation that also sells private treaty. No website, nothing fancy but great seedstock. He took the time to go through all our previous registrations and he's familiar with our herd (he knows docility is extremely important!) and will recommend bulls that fit & improve our operation. Now, when I need a new bull (or bulls), I just call him in advance, he selects what he feels would be the "perfect fit" and delivers generally a month before breeding season. I literally buy them sight unseen and have yet to be disappointed. BTW one of the first bulls we purchased from him was struck by lightning all of 3 weeks after we got him; hadn't even turned him out & I was devastated. Called him for a replacement, which was delivered that weekend, and he refused to take another check, saying he guarantees his bulls for a year. Clearly, an act of nature had nothing to do with fertility (or lack thereof), but he's the quintessential Good Ol' Boy with a heart of gold.
I'm a member of that group as well. Post things from time to time but the fact that every topic turns into a pissing contest takes away some of the value. Definitely need the popcorn somedays when reading through those topics.

I'm a member of that group as well. Post things from time to time but the fact that every topic turns into a pissing contest takes away some of the value. Definitely need the popcorn somedays when reading through those topics.
The former CT member! I think he actually measures the length of his pee stream.;)

Ask yourself where are the customers most likely to come from. I don't know anything about your area will you be trying to get people interested a few miles from you or 100 miles. Ask where and who they get their bulls from now. Don't waste money on people that will not come to you. Identify who the most likely customers are then develop a plan to reach them.

I hate Facebook with a passion, worst thing to happen to society in my lifetime as best I can tell.

The place we buy the majority of our bulls from has a 1 year unconditional warranty. Hit by a train, lightning, snaps a leg in a chuck hole, you get the idea. Never used it, and hope I don't. Also, their place is very much like ours - no manicured pastures and brand new equipment sitting around. Nice fences, older but well maintained equipment, average pastures and same type of grass I have. You can tell the operation isn't some rich man's pipe dream/tax writeoff. They know cows and how to breed functional ones, plus they're just salt of the earth people. I'm pretty sure you know who I'm referring to, but feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Hope you guys are doing well out in the Flints, need to stop by for a visit again sometime.
Not a fan of FB either, but the daily papers are about gone and that is all that is left. I do find who is dead on FB after wading through all the other BS. A lot of people on there with low self-esteem and has to post all the time look at me. Some are not hard on the eyes.

I gave up on Facebook 3 years ago. I don't do any social media.
Heck I don't even watch TV just because the commercials piss me off. I turned off all outside sources of media....I just felt it was not needed in my life. I was on Facebook when it first came out but do not like what it has become and it is unfortunate because it is a very good platform for selling.
Facebook has become a place that you go to insult people, lie about how good you are at something, or post doctored photos to make yourself or your cattle look better ... 😂
We sell only through word of mouth and also through members of various associations we belong to.

I gave up on Facebook 3 years ago. I don't do any social media.
Heck I don't even watch TV just because the commercials piss me off. I turned off all outside sources of media....I just felt it was not needed in my life. I was on Facebook when it first came out but do not like what it has become and it is unfortunate because it is a very good platform for selling.
Facebook has become a place that you go to insult people, lie about how good you are at something, or post doctored photos to make yourself or your cattle look better ... 😂
We sell only through word of mouth and also through members of various associations we belong to.
Ain't that the truth. With our beef ads on there, it's just raised my blood pressure and that's it. Yielded no sales.

Evidently, no one learned through saying, "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." They're all looking for confrontation when they'd never do so to your face. Just blows me away.

I do plan an ad campaign to target asheville, NC for my grass finished steers this summer. Run an ad Friday thru Sunday from now til July. Try to do $20 a weekend. See if it gets anywhere.

Any other advertising ideas for beef I'm all ears.

And yes. FB s the devil if you ask me. But we've made money off it. So I'm sort of stuck there at the moment.

My opinion. FB ain't bad. Just some of the people/stuff there. Just use the portion that is useful. Marketplace, certain groups and businesses. Sort of like everything and everybody in life - just visit and associate with what is useful to you and avoid the rest.

My opinion. FB ain't bad. Just some of the people/stuff there. Just use the portion that is useful. Marketplace, certain groups and businesses. Sort of like everything and everybody in life - just visit and associate with what is useful to you and avoid the rest.
Just gotta use it right. It can be a place for making money's.

That's the beauty of scrolling through all the worthless stuff. Or selectively blocking.

Latest posts