Looking For Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

libertygarden

Reaction score
If you are within a reasonable distance from Cooper TX and have round bales for sale, please PM. I need about 15 rolls to make it to the spring flush.

Thanks.

In SW Oregon 120lb alfalfa bales are $30 each now. I got a ton and a half back when prices were in the mid twenties. But I weigh it out to feed my horse 6 lbs a day on short pastures with 3 lbs of high fat pellets. He looks good. My dry dairy stock I am feeding $10 a bale grass hay a heavy flake each with 2 lbs of 20% cow cubes at $20 a sack.'

For Bangs vaccination for heifers the vets are charging $200 a shot and thats if you haul to them. I don't know how anyone can afford to farm in this country anymore. Even eggs are unaffordable. I think the gov is trying to get people to live on soy protien and insects because of Muh climate change

That is absurd for the bangs vacc cost... We pay about $200-250 for a vet trip out to the farm for an hour's visit... preg check or bangs vacc how ever many we have.... try to have everything in the barn ready to go when he gets there... and we can do 20-50 cows per hour all according to if we have 2 or 3 to do the working...... That's all ultrasound checking now. The bangs vaccine is not that expensive...

In SW Oregon 120lb alfalfa bales are $30 each now. I got a ton and a half back when prices were in the mid twenties. But I weigh it out to feed my horse 6 lbs a day on short pastures with 3 lbs of high fat pellets. He looks good. My dry dairy stock I am feeding $10 a bale grass hay a heavy flake each with 2 lbs of 20% cow cubes at $20 a sack.'

For Bangs vaccination for heifers the vets are charging $200 a shot and thats if you haul to them. I don't know how anyone can afford to farm in this country anymore. Even eggs are unaffordable. I think the gov is trying to get people to live on soy protien and insects because of Muh climate change
Damn straight. But we're the most resourceful people in this country and we'll never fold.

About the Bangs- all US states livestock are now declared Bangs free by the USDA. Some buffalo in Yellowstone might still have it, 1000 miles away from here. States have their own laws. Every dairy heifer in Oregon must be Bang's vaccinated before a year old even if she lives her whole life on a farm.

I called the Oregon state vet and she was shocked at what vets are charging. I asked What if I dont have her vaccinated? Will she be seized and destroyed? Will I de arrested and fined? She said NO and we both laughed. If I ever carried my heifer out of state I could just take Daphne's ear tag off and but it on Honeydew. How's that for resourceful?

What if you brought the calf in?

The local vets here have two clinics small animal vets and only one large animal vet who only sees large animals on Thursdays. We moved here and did not have a vet. A while ago I was in their office filling out papers to have a 'relationship' (Vet client patient relationship) basically so they can know you'll pay the bills. While I was sitting there two separate old couples came in and payed over $1000 for a cat. I thought Hmmm looks like these vets are working the pet as child substitute racket. It took a week and multiple calls to find out what the bill for a Bang's vax would cost. When I found out I canceled my appointment.

Oh, and the livestock vet in the next county charges $220 if you bring the animal to their clinic.

Oh, and the livestock vet in the next county charges $220 if you bring the animal to their clinic.
You can drive a long ways for $220. Check up in the valley or over toward K Falls.

Local alfalfa grower told me that hay is going down. I know he was wanting $300 a ton. I bought a little at $285 a ton. Last week at the post office he said it is down to $250 a ton.

Apparently it finally rained.

My feedstore is selling alfalfa for $30 a bale, thats $450 a ton. Its a good thing I stocked up when it was only $400 a ton.

So now it's $250/ton, $15.62 a bale in Klamath falls? Is this old stored hay from 2 or 3 years ago? Is this those big square bales? I saw three semi loads of that headed toward dairy country.

So now it's $250/ton, $15.62 a bale in Klamath falls? Is this old stored hay from 2 or 3 years ago? Is this those big square bales? I saw three semi loads of that headed toward dairy country.
Not K Falls. I am in Baker county, about 20 miles from Idaho. About as far away from you as a person can get and still be in Oregon. It is 2022 hay in mid size 3x3x8 bales. I see a lot of hay stacks still around and it will be February tomorrow. The hay farmers are having to drop prices to move it. Just don't see small bales around here very much. And what little there is people want a premium for it.

I'm starting to see hay prices drop a tiny bit. Perhaps it's the promise of spring, perhaps it's the fact that many ranchers culled their herds, or perhaps too many sellers sat on their inventory waiting for a sucker to buy at $150. I don't know, but tomorrow I'm getting a few rolls for $100, still very expensive compared to last year, but nothing compared to what I was seeing two weeks ago.

I'm starting to see hay prices drop a tiny bit. Perhaps it's the promise of spring, perhaps it's the fact that many ranchers culled their herds, or perhaps too many sellers sat on their inventory waiting for a sucker to buy at $150. I don't know, but tomorrow I'm getting a few rolls for $100, still very expensive compared to last year, but nothing compared to what I was seeing two weeks ago.
Good luck on finding hay.

Ouch! I feel pretty lucky buying 5x6 for $80. Fairly tight, figuring 1100#. Got them starting in June through October. At least you found some though!

About the Bangs- all US states livestock are now declared Bangs free by the USDA. Some buffalo in Yellowstone might still have it, 1000 miles away from here. States have their own laws. Every dairy heifer in Oregon must be Bang's vaccinated before a year old even if she lives her whole life on a farm.

I called the Oregon state vet and she was shocked at what vets are charging. I asked What if I dont have her vaccinated? Will she be seized and destroyed? Will I de arrested and fined? She said NO and we both laughed. If I ever carried my heifer out of state I could just take Daphne's ear tag off and but it on Honeydew. How's that for resourceful?
No not resourceful.....untruthful

Latest posts