Looking for feedback on which one to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got a four + year old cow that has given me three nice calves so far. One of them is a nice heifer that is 13 months old that is still on my farm. This cow is nice in every area except her disposition. She gets snotty when she has a young calf at her side. She's not aggressive, but I don't trust her either. And the rest of the year she is indifferent towards me. My other cows are like big dogs and are very friendly even with their young calves.

This cow's heifer is looking every bit as nice as her mother. She seems to be a bit more friendly, but I can see just a smidge of attitude at times, which makes me think she could turn out to be just like her mom.

One of them is leaving the farm this winter, and taking up residence in my freezer. I'm just not sure which one to take. My head says keep the mother since she's giving me three good calves, but I would take great pleasure in seeing her meet her end.

One pro for keeping the heifer is that the cow will be ready to butcher in December after weaning her calf. The heifer probably should keep until spring to put some additional weight on her.

I would keep the proven one. Corn feed the heifer and eat her, she would be better anyway. I really don't mind having a cow that is a little aggressive with a young'un. They are usually good mothers. I have a couple like that. Just stay away from them and let them do their thing. You will see a lot of that if your cows have a little Brahman influence.

Thanks Bird Dog. My cattle are Belties so no Brahman, usually very friendly. This cows been on my radar for a couple years now, but I just can't get rid of her because she makes such nice calves and maintains her condition when nursing. She ticks me off and I make up my mind to butcher her, then a few days go by and I change my mind.

I had rather have a cow that's get a little ''snotty when she has a young calf by her side'' than one that could careless. That's the way God made mommas to be is to fight and care for their young, except for humans they just abort them if they don't want them.

I agree with everything bird dog said. As long as the older cow doesn't have an attitude problem when she doesn't have a small calf I'd keep her, and the heifer (who for all you know may or may not ever even have a calf) will be better beef anyway.

I wouldn't worry a minute about the cow's attitude with a new calf. I would worry if she wasn't protective. A yearling will be a better eating experience than a 4 or 5 year old cow.

I would keep them both that's the kind that will bring a calf in instead of letting dogs or coyotes get them.

Latest posts