Looking for cows on lease to own #2

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Seeing as my thread was hijacked I will start a new one. Looking for cows on a lease to own basis. Agreement will be drawn up by lawyer so both parties are protected. Looking for commercial of purebred horned hereford cows, angus x hereford cows, or welsh black cows. Interested or know of someone who would be, PM me. We are a young family who is trying to grow our herd and have the grass, facilities, and feed for up to 600 cows.

I cant say I know anyone near you, much less with cows. I do have an idea that may work for you. I knew a guy one time in a spot like yours, he ended up with a big farm and no cows. he let 3 other guys bring in there cows and he managed them for the owners. It seems to me if your land can carry 600 cows you may have a shot at finding 6 cattle owners who are willing to let you manage 100 of there cows and pay you so much per ctw of gain. This way you can pay your bills and use the extra money to buy your own cows. your Return on your investment could be very large. Your pitch to the 6 or more owners is you can save them money with a larger herd. Just my 2 cents, I wish you the best.

Jason.

Just what I know of southern Sask. There is more grass and grazing then there are cows . With the Canadian cow population so low , I have a hard time imagineing that someone is looking at placing 600 hd of cows . If you have the fences for it you mite talk with the feedlots about back grounding yearlings in the spring .

Already grassing about 600 of our own yearlings, 100 custom pairs, and 300 yearlings for a customer we buy cattle for plus our own cow herd of 500. Want to get rid of them custom cattle and just run our own. One option we have been considering but dont want to do because we like running cows, is selling all the cows and just custom grazing yearlings. Have enough grass for 2000+ yearlings but would rather run our own cows. We like calving and going out in the summer and looking at the calves you have bred and raised and feeling a sense of accomplishment. I know its a long shot finding even a 100 cows on lease to own but gotta give it a try. Didnt think I would find land near our place on a lease to own but put some ads up around town and got a dozen guys calling already.

I'm really not to sure what a typical deal would look like, probably not like a lease to own land deal. Wasnt worried about that till I find some guys interested.

You say you've got 500 cows of your own , do you want to get to 1100 head of cows? If you have 500 of your own now , it doesn't take that long just retaining 50 extra heifers a year to grow your herd . As my mentor used to tell me "When you've got cow calves your stuck when you can go with that calf , with a yearling you can go anytime" Don't know how much help you have , but you could be making alot more work and have to hire help . I guess I would just start piecing my herd together 10 at a time or so till you didn't need that 100 custom pairs . I'am not even going to kick the dog why someone would want a herd of antler'd cattle .

Only have 200 of my own. The rest of the cows and yearlings are dad. I sell my calves to my dad, he backgrounds them through winter and then we grass them and whatever cattle we have in the feedlot. The way we run our cows 1 guy can easily calve out, pasture, and winter 1200 cows. We swath graze through winter, stockpile graze through fall and spring, and rotational graze through summer. I currently calve out all our cows on my own on grass and operate our 1200 head feedlot with hired help that we seem to go through like a revolving door, so mostly me on my own. I currently keep about 40 heifers a year and till our feeder association went under I was buying 20-30 purebred hereford heifers a year and breeding them too. I want to get to 500 cows of my own right away and get dad up too 600 or so and as we buy more land keep expanding the cow herd. If I can get to 500 cows of my own and get dad to pay me for managing his cows then I dont have to work at the feedlot anymore. That is my goal as I am allergic to most things on the farm and a feedlot job is pretty hard on my system, not to mention it is monotanous work that I have been doing for 13 years now and havent enjoyed it for a long time. I love the cow/calf aspect and want to eventually get up to a few thousand cows and start selling bulls. Dad used to manage the Saskatchewan Bull Test Station and we are currently looking at getting a bull test going again.

It really isnt hard IMO. We swath graze and stockpile graze so no need to start a tractor through the winter, sometimes to get out to them to check em. All our land is already cross fenced into 40 acre parcels so for winter feeding all I gotta do is open a gate every week and a half. Cows start calving on grass May 1st. Our cows are located 45 miles north of our place on pasture, I drive up there once a day from May 1st - July 10th and spend on average 2-3 hours tagging new calves, drive back to the feedlot and feed or if we have hired help I stay at the ranch and fix fence, build fence and such. I check the cows twice a week through the summer, moving them from 40 acre parcel to 40 acre parcel. Our cows stockpile graze grass we havent grazed all summer through the fall and we wean our calves in early december, cows then go out onto the swaths and it starts all over again. We swath graze awnless barley mostly but the last few years we have been letting our second cut alfalfa grass grow till the first killing frost, then we swath it into 50ft double swaths and graze that when the snow gets to be a few inches deep. Next year we are gonna try drilling turnips into alfalfa and see if the cause any damage doing that. Right now I can run our feedlot, our cows and this summer we emptied the feedlot and I got 30 miles of new fence built on the ranch and ripped out 10 miles of the old stuff. Have another 10-15 miles of old stuff to rip out and around another 25 miles of new fence to put up next summer. 4 strand electric perimeter fences and 2 strand electric cross fences.

All of our land is in a block so moving cows is a one man with a quad and a dog job. I put a temporary single strand wire across the road where I need the cows to turn in if I am moving them across or down roads and with fences on both sides one guy can easily move 600 pairs from one pasture to the next. Only time I need help is branding, weaning, and the occasional time someone to help catch something that needs to go home or has gotten out. Dad runs our cattle buying business and "oversees" the feedlot operations. Takes 4 guys 2 days to catch, brand, vaccinate and sort into breeding fields the cows we have now. And thats with a portable working chute and tub and a 200' x 200' corral built out of concrete page wire. Summer after next years plan is to start building facilities like we have at the feedlot, Stampede Steel working system and steel sorting corrals. I've done some modifications to a friends facilites that allows us to sort 500 cow/calf pairs apart in about an hour with two guys. So gonna build a proper facility at the ranch that can handle 1200+ cows with minimal amount of people helping.

mlazyj":1gedqsck said:
If you can run 1200 cows on your own , I would quit and go on the road teaching how to do it . Bud Williams needs the competition

wouldnt be as hard as most people think as long as you start cought up. i calved out 600 head working for my uncle and his father in law with no help from either of them and still had time to see family have fun and help my dad out. working the calves and shots you would get help but other than that its doable. especially if you have good range cattle that can graze through most of the winter. we run alot on winter grazing and when it snows up we turn into square bales baled and left in the pasture that way they can gid them out and eat. better quality feed than just dry winter grass and you dont have to start a tractor. than you just mostly cake them and keep an eye on them. calving season is a full time job weither you have 300 head or a thousand head you have to ride them all the time. only difference is more calves to tag and a chance for more problems but again select for a good range cow and start calving late enough you dont have to worry so much about snow. haying would be a chore for that many head but again if you can graze most the winter than you take care of alot of that. i guess i have seen a good cowboy (my dad) make 500 head easy and i have seen a person who thinks they know it all make 100 head look like a undoable chore. just kind of depends on what your used to and how your set up.

mlazyj":boqy50au said:
You say you've got 500 cows of your own , do you want to get to 1100 head of cows? If you have 500 of your own now , it doesn't take that long just retaining 50 extra heifers a year to grow your herd . As my mentor used to tell me "When you've got cow calves your stuck when you can go with that calf , with a yearling you can go anytime" Don't know how much help you have , but you could be making alot more work and have to hire help . I guess I would just start piecing my herd together 10 at a time or so till you didn't need that 100 custom pairs . I'am not even going to kick the dog why someone would want a herd of antler'd cattle .

do you mean horned cattle?

Guess I'm confused again. With 200 owned cows, enough land to support 1200, interest rates at an all time low, what bank wouldn't loan money to someone with that kind of equity? Why keep back heifers from someone else's herd? Why not keep or buy your own? You want to get up to 500 cows immedieatly, is there someone who will give you 300 cows just for taking care of 600?
I'm not trying to be a smart alec, just don't understand why you need to parterner up with someone to do this, go to a bank, you're not gonna' start debt free anyway. gs

The ag bank I deal with would let you use the 200 owned cattle as a down payment. I'm sure you could double your herd that way .. you will have 400 cows paying for 200 . With the right cows at the right price 3 years you should have them paid for ...

Its hard up here to use cattle as collateral. Not many banks will do it. My dad owns all the land except the 300 acres I just bought, he just bought all the land and we are buying more, again the bank would rather give money for land than cattle. I wish we had a bank that would let me use my cows as collateral. Another problem I have is my fiance and I just bought a house, she is on Maternity leave and they dont think we have enough income coming in.

I run my cows with my dads and he charges me pasture rent and such at the end of the year. If I had my own land paid for it might be easier to get cows from bank

thanks, right now its so dry I can just take are of what I have

Wow, its been a year since I put this up. Well this year we culled hard and are down to 400 cows of our own and we brought in 700 custom cows and only have 60 heifers to breed, never did find anyone willing to do a lease to won deal. Found alot of guys looking to do a straight lease but I wanted to own them in the end. We have 2880 acres of good alfalfa/sanfoin/meadow brome/milk vetch pasture that handles 1000 cows, all fenced into 40 acres parcels. But thats not 2880 acres of grass. We average around 145 acres of grass per 160 acres as this land is hilly and full of sloughs. We have 480 acres of marginal grass that needs to be reseeded next year as it was broken land that the previous owner let go native and it can handle 100 cows. We have 640 acres of broken land that we use for barley for swath grazing our own cows and heifers through the winter and 160-200 of that 640 will be bailed up this fall instead of staying in swaths incase the snow gets too deep over the winter. We also have a lifetime lease agreement with Ducks Unlimited on 640 acres that we are allowed to graze 160 acres/year and alternate over a 4 year period, but that grass can only handle 50 cows for the summer. Our best grass by far is our 300 acres at the feedlot. With the amount of manure we put on it and because its fenced into 16 acre parcels it has 215 cows on it this year so far and since May 15th we have only grazed 200 acres of it. If I get could all our land to perform like that I would be a happy man.

Latest posts