looking for advice

Help Support CattleToday:

northernboy

Reaction score
I have a small cow calf operation(35 head). Last summer a hobby farmer neighbor pastured several dexter animals next door,his bull jumped the fence.At the time I had no idea if he had bred any, now I have 3 dexter cross calves(kind of hard to market).Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation without creating hard feelings?

northernboy":1xfw5c54 said:
I have a small cow calf operation(35 head). Last summer a hobby farmer neighbor pastured several dexter animals next door,his bull jumped the fence.At the time I had no idea if he had bred any, now I have 3 dexter cross calves(kind of hard to market).Any suggestions on how to remedy the situation without creating hard feelings?

You cannot change the past - you can only work to the future.

Done is done.

Sell your nice X-breds at a lot less than you want to - eat it like a man and say nothing.

Talk to the neighbour - nice like - fence line maintenance and such - NOTHING about your calf probs - NOTHING. He will not likely care anyways.

Fix the fence - real good - even if you pay.

All else fails - then and only then - time to act.

First I must caution you to not break any laws as if you get caught you will likely be sued - I have heard rumours of the following done in the past:

Load up that bull the next time he visits and haul it 100 miles away and let it out. Find a real nice back road and just open the door and then leave quiet like. Bull will do well in the bush.

Neighbour comes looking for his bull - you have NEVER seen it. Act surprized, show concern and admit nothing. Offer to help if you can.

Do not want to do that:

Pen the bull next time he comes over - and pinch it.

Make sure you have the tools on hand before he comes over for a visit. A pinched bull loses all interest in about a week. Before that he loses interest while he heals up. Then send him home immediately upon completing the job.

Keep your mouth shut!!!!!!

Heard rumours about both above actions done in the west a couple of times. Might even have helped the odd time or two. I am so old now I tend to forget dates and times and things anymore. Happens when you get as old as me. I am sure I would not have done this. At least I think I am.....

Good neighbour - no probs.

Bad neighbour - probs forever.

Good neighbour - you will work together.

Bad neighbour means you solve your own probs.

Shut your mouth!!!!! I will say it only one more time.

If you must - then - solve your own probs and SHUT UP!!!

I think you get it.

Good luck,

Bez>

northernboy":1kddif5r said:

Offer the Dexer calves to the owner of the bull at the same price you'd expect to get for your other calves. Phrase it that you're willing to help him expand his Dexter herd and that you'll take a loss on the calves if you sell them at the sale barn. Maybe he'll get the hint.

northernboy, what kind of cows do you have? Are the cross calves bulls or heifers? Regardless, you can always sell them as family freezer beef.

We have similar problems here, but no one runs dexters in this climate - thank goodness!

Bez>":1ch65uv6 said:
northernboy":1ch65uv6 said:

You cannot change the past - you can only work to the future.

Done is done.

Sell your nice X-breds at a lot less than you want to - eat it like a man and say nothing.

Talk to the neighbour - nice like - fence line maintenance and such - NOTHING about your calf probs - NOTHING. He will not likely care anyways.

Fix the fence - real good - even if you pay.

All else fails - then and only then - time to act.

First I must caution you to not break any laws as if you get caught you will likely be sued - I have heard rumours of the following done in the past:

Load up that bull the next time he visits and haul it 100 miles away and let it out. Find a real nice back road and just open the door and then leave quiet like. Bull will do well in the bush.

Neighbour comes looking for his bull - you have NEVER seen it. Act surprized, show concern and admit nothing. Offer to help if you can.

Do not want to do that:

Pen the bull next time he comes over - and pinch it.

Make sure you have the tools on hand before he comes over for a visit. A pinched bull loses all interest in about a week. Before that he loses interest while he heals up. Then send him home immediately upon completing the job.

Keep your mouth shut!!!!!!

Heard rumours about both above actions done in the west a couple of times. Might even have helped the odd time or two. I am so old now I tend to forget dates and times and things anymore. Happens when you get as old as me. I am sure I would not have done this. At least I think I am.....

Good neighbour - no probs.

Bad neighbour - probs forever.

Good neighbour - you will work together.

Bad neighbour means you solve your own probs.

Shut your mouth!!!!! I will say it only one more time.

If you must - then - solve your own probs and SHUT UP!!!

I think you get it.

Good luck,

Bez>

Bez> You crack me up!!! Somehow I know we would get along well.

backhoeboogie":6klyxcog said:
We have similar problems here, but no one runs dexters in this climate - thank goodness!

Now, now....I've read lots of posts on these boards about bulls jumping fences and breeding other people's cows, but this is the first instance I'm aware of where a Dexter was identified as the perpetrator. (Maybe he went UNDER the fence? ;-) ) And I have it on good authority that there are 1,667 Dexters in Texas.

Seriously, if someone else's bull gets in one's pasture, it's pretty safe to assume that he isn't there to play cards...females have been bred. Time to get out the Lutalyse.

I run a mixed herd angus,black baldies,and pinz.I ran a pinz bull the last 2 years(have a small market for them)so I know who bred what.This bull went over/under 2 fences.This same farmer also put a stud donkey in a pasture with a freinds saddle horses(told her it was gelded)bred all her mares.She fortunately found a new home for the bred mares(don't know if she told that they were bred to a donkey).A side note he sent the bull to his fathers place 3 weeks later the bull was in the freezer,couldn't keep him in.Nice neighbors!!