Looking For A Show Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
What To Look For When Looking For A Heifer To Show Want To Learn More About What To Look For This Is What I Got So Far

- Clean Front
- Tight Belly
- Good Confermation
- Overal Good Looking
- Blood lines
- Dispotion
- Price
- Dams Udder
- WW
- BW

I know there is more to look for so what am I missing

For a "show heifer"

I would rule out WW, BW, Dam's Udder, and Blood lines. Those sound like replacement traits IMO. Look for a calf that is uniform in her depth and length, stands on very correct feet, and who is easy moving. Depending on your level of competition, you may want to go deeper into thost areas.

ilfarmer92":2sgs0djp said:
For a "show heifer"

I would rule out WW, BW, Dam's Udder, and Blood lines. Those sound like replacement traits IMO. Look for a calf that is uniform in her depth and length, stands on very correct feet, and who is easy moving. Depending on your level of competition, you may want to go deeper into thost areas.
Shouldn't a show heifer be exemplary in all the traits we look for in a replacement JMO

ilfarmer92":o29vb3uz said:
For a "show heifer"

After her show seasons she will be a replacement

*Cowgirl*":1i0wgcu3 said:
Is that how you have them ranked?

My personal opinion this is how:
- Dispotion
- Overal Good Looking
- Good Confermation
- Blood lines
- Clean Front
- Tight Belly
- ADG
- Price
- Dams Udder
- BW
- WW

vs_cattle":wpzikz9y said:
*Cowgirl*":wpzikz9y said:
I'd say:
soundness
depth and volume
frame
degree of muscle
style and balance
disposition
epds
Good Traits to look for thanks how about the price?

Price?

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay - not a penny more.

Because the owner has possession until the buyer meets the price.

I watched a 400 buck steer go all the way to the top in Alberta some years ago. Beat out all the high priced players. And there were some big money animals in the various rings.

A bit of grumbling, but it was the best steer. If I remember correctly there were a total of seven different judges that said so.

I know, because it belonged to my daughter - she bought it against my judgement from an old cowboy neighbour because that old cowboy told her it would be a "good un".

That cowboy is still an honoured and trusted friend - even though he rubs it in to me every now and then! :D

So price is not always the best discriminator. In fact it is often the worst.

Regards,

Bez>

VS- I would HIGHLY advise you take someone with you who knows a thing or two about cattle. Maybe you could get Bez to come down ;-)

But really, there are many cattlemen that are there to help. It will be much easier for you in the long run if you can get it straight in the beginning. Maybe 4-H leader, FFA advisor, etc.

Good Luck, I hope you find a heifer that will fit what you're looking for.

When shopping for a Show Heifer, most would put a Breed preference first. A few would just be interested in the best heifer availabe. I believe breed selection should be #1 with a Show Heifer; not necessarily so for Show Steers.

My #2 would be to find out the history of the Dam; her show record, and/or that of her calves.

#3 - Structural Soundness: legs (hocks, pasterns, hooves, stride), smoothness of shoulder, and transition at withers to neck, strong, level topline, levelness from hooks to pins, width of pelvic area, body lenght, and width in her chest.

#4 - Femininity: Long, extended neck, heifer head, loose hide, depth, & spring of rib, and a smooth underline, with little to no navel.

I have never seen a need to know EPDs, or lineage, sire, etc. A Show Heifer just needs to exhibit the traits sought by a completely subjective Judge. If you have those to begin with, and then do a much better than average job of feeding, grooming, clipping, fitting, & exhibition, you will have a good chance of winning.

Latest posts